The Student Room Group

Are they going to fire me!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Not uniform.
If you arrive in uniform it'll look like your expecting your job back!
Dress smart!
Original post by moody_bum
Not uniform.
If you arrive in uniform it'll look like your expecting your job back!
Dress smart!

I dont have ANYTHING smart though!
Reply 82
nice top/blouse and a pair of trousers or smart jeans?
Reply 83
Original post by needsomehelp121
I dont have ANYTHING smart though!

does your work uniform require black trousers? Use those and a nice top?
Original post by moody_bum
does your work uniform require black trousers? Use those and a nice top?

Nope. We wear jeans and then the company tshirt.
I was going to buy a nice blouse this week! I wish I did. Everything else I have is very casual.
Nope. We wear jeans and then the company tshirt.
I was going to buy a nice blouse this week! I wish I did. Everything else I have is very casual.

Well wear your work uniform and carry a top in your bag so that if they do fire you then you can just put that on after.
Original post by insignificant
Well wear your work uniform and carry a top in your bag so that if they do fire you then you can just put that on after.

Ok, thanks aloooot guys!
Im going now and will let everyone know what happens. Im not very positive though..
Ok, thanks aloooot guys!
Im going now and will let everyone know what happens. Im not very positive though..

How did it go?

Hope it was ok. :smile:
Reply 88
I really can't believe that. I mean it doesn't sound like a big troll. You'd need quite a big fascination to make a troll like that, which I doubt many would have.

Unfortunately, the company has all rights to fire you even for this much stealing. It would however be extremely harsh. It might be that they are just in surplus of staff and need an 'excuse' to get rid of one.

Hope you don't get fired though. That's the harshest thing that could ever happen to someone. For some sweets...
Original post by TheSownRose
How did it go?

Hope it was ok. :smile:

Hey! I got fired :frown:
t was kind of surreal. Like it was as if everything was revolving around me. I entered the shop and could hear everyone talking about it. When I got into the staffroom people asked me lots of questions. People I dont talk to EVER knew what happened. Alot of people took the piss and made jokes about it. They told me that 3 were down so far and "the axe is comng down"
No one could believe that so many people were getting fired for eating write off sweets. A manager in the staffroom said those sweets had been in there for a long time. I had my meeting 40 mins late but it didnt last long.

I am angry that I said lots of stuff and made good points but this really rude manager who was writing the notes cut off half od what I said!
e.g I said "I had been working here for nearly a year. If I realised I was stealing at the time, then why would I take it when I know there are cameras in here. It was a genuine mistake"
She only wrote down "I didnt know that was stealing. Ive worked here a year" :rolleyes:
Anyways, so I said all I could say. Meeting was adjourned for a few minutes and then they came to tell me they have no choice but to dismiss me. The woman was really nice and said that she knows its really sad but its black and white and they had no choice. Apparently alot of people are still to be fired! The number is unknown. I feel like this was all a trap!

Thanks anyway to you and everyone else who helped! I am still sad but it is what it is.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey! I got fired :frown:
t was kind of surreal. Like it was as if everything was revolving around me. I entered the shop and could hear everyone talking about it. When I got into the staffroom people asked me lots of questions. People I dont talk to EVER knew what happened. Alot of people took the piss and made jokes about it. They told me that 3 were down so far and "the axe is comng down"
No one could believe that so many people were getting fired for eating write off sweets. A manager in the staffroom said those sweets had been in there for a long time. I had my meeting 40 mins late but it didnt last long.

I am angry that I said lots of stuff and made good points but this really rude manager who was writing the notes cut off half od what I said!
e.g I said "I had been working here for nearly a year. If I realised I was stealing at the time, then why would I take it when I know there are cameras in here. It was a genuine mistake"
She only wrote down "I didnt know that was stealing. Ive worked here a year" :rolleyes:
Anyways, so I said all I could say. Meeting was adjourned for a few minutes and then they came to tell me they have no choice but to dismiss me. The woman was really nice and said that she knows its really sad but its black and white and they had no choice. Apparently alot of people are still to be fired! The number is unknown. I feel like this was all a trap!

Thanks anyway to you and everyone else who helped! I am still sad but it is what it is.

That doesn't sound like it was conducted in anything like a professional manner...
Original post by muffingg
I really can't believe that. I mean it doesn't sound like a big troll. You'd need quite a big fascination to make a troll like that, which I doubt many would have.

Unfortunately, the company has all rights to fire you even for this much stealing. It would however be extremely harsh. It might be that they are just in surplus of staff and need an 'excuse' to get rid of one.

Hope you don't get fired though. That's the harshest thing that could ever happen to someone. For some sweets...

did get fired. :redface: Im surprised alot of people here did think I was trolling. Why would I lie about this! Alot of us got fired and counting. That may be true about too much people but its a flagship store and they need loads of people. Alot of the stockroom work is difficult and its alot better for the company if experienced people do the job but they hired loads of new people today! There was new staff everywhere and there were disciplinarys all day so I dont think they needed to get rid of staff...they just wanted to replace some of the ones they didnt like? I was really surprised they fired so many people as they are usually desperate.

Oh well. Its their loss because they got rid of some really skilled people who are always there to do overtime for them/
Reply 92
Over such a trifling infraction? Surely not.
That doesn't sound like it was conducted in anything like a professional manner...

Yehh. I felt like it was unfair. Especially after I found out lots more people than I thought had the sweets. She said she will take my points into consideration BUT at the start of the disciplinary when I asked if others were involved she told me something like "yes and you are all being treated in exactly the same way" I felt like there was no point even trying then. She asked 3 questions and the other manager wrote my notes down. She left out more than half of what I said.
I was dismissed and then I asked if I could say bye to a few people before she walked me out of the store.
Oh and she based her decision because she said that the employee handbook says that theft is gross misconduct so she had to fire me...I understood that but its like she missed my whole point about I didnt intend to commit theft.

BUT she did say that I can get a rference. She said the reference is automatic or something and that they wont mention my dismissal. It sounded kinda dodgy though. automatic? But I wasnt listening properly as I was too upset.

The most unprofessional thing was everyone knowing. I thought alot of people will know but not the whole store! My manager was even bitching about us on the phone apparently, when hes on holiday!
BUT she did say that I can get a rference. She said the reference is automatic or something and that they wont mention my dismissal. It sounded kinda dodgy though. automatic? But I wasnt listening properly as I was too upset.

The most unprofessional thing was everyone knowing. I thought alot of people will know but not the whole store! My manager was even bitching about us on the phone apparently, when hes on holiday!

It's quite common - it's something like 'needsomehelp121 worked here from (start date) until (end date)'.

I don't know to whom, but you should complain about the manner this has been conducted in.
Reply 95
in all honesty, you took something which wasn't yours. Ignorance or intention is not an excuse. Whilst the value of the product might seem trivial to you, the principle still stands. Companies have to work with employees who they can trust, and stealing is not trustworthy behaviour.

I feel bad for you, you lost your job for something very silly and minor. But you did wrong, so take it on the chin and later in life you will never do the same thing again.
It's quite common - it's something like 'needsomehelp121 worked here from (start date) until (end date)'.

I don't know to whom, but you should complain about the manner this has been conducted in.

ohh ok thanks :smile:

I cba to complain tbh. Its a ccrap company where most of the workers are young so they treat us like kids. They talk to us like kids and at times I felt like my managers were just like teachers at school, witht the patronising language they use and kind of things they say to make us work harder.

River island is a really bad company to work for, imo.
Original post by leeber
in all honesty, you took something which wasn't yours. Ignorance or intention is not an excuse. Whilst the value of the product might seem trivial to you, the principle still stands. Companies have to work with employees who they can trust, and stealing is not trustworthy behaviour.

I feel bad for you, you lost your job for something very silly and minor. But you did wrong, so take it on the chin and later in life you will never do the same thing again.

yehh true. I accept that I was wrong. Still surprised that they fired us all though. If it was just me Id understand but it was alot of people who the managers know very well, didnt mean to steal. They certainly made an impact on the rest of the workers! I think us lot who got fired today are going to be emembered(well our situationn will be)
Reply 98
yehh true. I accept that I was wrong. Still surprised that they fired us all though. If it was just me Id understand but it was alot of people who the managers know very well, didnt mean to steal. They certainly made an impact on the rest of the workers! I think us lot who got fired today are going to be emembered(well our situationn will be)

and because of that noone will dare steal even the loo roll. Don't forget some companies are seeking to lay off staff and this is he perfect excuse.
Reply 99

I just came back to this thread, sorry to hear you got fired!

River island is a really bad company to work for, imo.

Noted :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending