The Student Room Group

Quick question about debit card expiry dates

My car insurance is due tomorrow but I've just checked the letter and it has my old card details on. My old card doesn't expire until the end of this month but I've already started using my new one. Does this mean the payment won't go through on my old card?
No it should be fine. It normally only takes a couple of days for the car insurance to go out anyway. I take it you've paid it in full rather than monthly?
Reply 2
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
No it should be fine. It normally only takes a couple of days for the car insurance to go out anyway. I take it you've paid it in full rather than monthly?

Thanks. Tomorrow is the 29th though, so if they don't take it fairly soon it will be April. And yes I've paid in full.
Original post by -honeybee-
Thanks. Tomorrow is the 29th though, so if they don't take it fairly soon it will be April. And yes I've paid in full.

Well end of the month is not til thursday I think it should go through by then. Is your account number different on your new card? You may want to ring them just to be on the safe side though.
Reply 4
Well end of the month is not til thursday I think it should go through by then. Is your account number different on your new card? You may want to ring them just to be on the safe side though.

Account number is the same, it's the card number that's different. Thank you :smile:
Your old card will no longer work if you've activated/used the new one.
Original post by hypocriticaljap
Your old card will no longer work if you've activated/used the new one.

Thats wrong. It still works for up to 4 weeks. Mine did when my new one arrived the other week.
Original post by -honeybee-
Account number is the same, it's the card number that's different. Thank you :smile:

I'd call them up and make the payment with your new card just to be on the safe side. Though my insurance the other day was debited instantly, just takes a couple of days to clear.
Thats wrong. It still works for up to 4 weeks. Mine did when my new one arrived the other week.

It must be different depending on the bank, as I bank with Barclays, and I ordered a new debit card because the chip on mine was wearing away and Chip&PIN machines were having difficulty reading it.

I was informed by Barclays that as soon as I make a transaction on the new debit card, the old debit card will deactivate.

Purchased something yesterday, went to use online banking today, old debit card deactivated.
Original post by sebbytotherescue
It must be different depending on the bank, as I bank with Barclays, and I ordered a new debit card because the chip on mine was wearing away and Chip&PIN machines were having difficulty reading it.

I was informed by Barclays that as soon as I make a transaction on the new debit card, the old debit card will deactivate.

Purchased something yesterday, went to use online banking today, old debit card deactivated.

Thankyou.
Original post by sebbytotherescue

Must be as my old one still worked even though I was issued a new one. I bank with Lloyds TSB.
Reply 11
I'm with Lloyds as well. All is fine, I phoned them today :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending