The Student Room Group

UCL or Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Official.One
WHich is better for a career in Investment Banking (M&A preferably)

MSc Statistics at UCL
or
MSc Economics at Warwick??

Is your offer condition on achieving a 2.1, or something specific like 65%?
Reply 21
Exactly what I thought re: 6 target unis, yeah I'm still waiting on Imperial but if not, I think UCL would be the way forward...with regards to stats or econ, to be honest, 3 years of econ have made me sick of the subject :sick:

In a way had I 've had enough of econ as well haha. If I could cherry-pick modules and still get MSc Econ it would be fine but departments are quite particular when it comes to micro and macro which aren't the most exciting subjects.

About myself: I'm graduating with degree in Economics. Took econometrics module in my 3rd year, approx. 80 from quantitative methods in 1st and 2nd year, on track for the 1st class. I applied for the stats course at UCL but I think it was too late as I've got no offer yet and they stopped accepting applications now but I got in to Warwick for MSc Statistics so I'm more than happy as their stats course is simply beautiful!
Reply 22
Original post by MarkNoble
I remember reading somewhwere about recruiting by UK Investment banks. Apparently there are only 6 Universities they bother to recruit from. There is an 'inner circle' of Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial. Then there is an 'outer circle' of UCL, Warwick and LSE. They don't recruit from any other Universities.

Ergo, you pays yer money and take yer choice. Both are target Universities for Investment Banking.

UCL and Warwick are both outstanding Universities, but UCL has the better world reputation (it's the nearest thing we have to a British Princeton).

Toss of a coin job I think (unless you prefer London to Warwick, or campus to City etc). Plus, do you prefer Stats or Economics?

Interesting. The numerous IBers I've spoken to would put LSE ahead of Imperial.
Reply 23
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Is your offer condition on achieving a 2.1, or something specific like 65%?

They just asked for a stanard upper second (thank God)
Reply 24
Original post by zDjM
In a way had I 've had enough of econ as well haha. If I could cherry-pick modules and still get MSc Econ it would be fine but departments are quite particular when it comes to micro and macro which aren't the most exciting subjects.

About myself: I'm graduating with degree in Economics. Took econometrics module in my 3rd year, approx. 80 from quantitative methods in 1st and 2nd year, on track for the 1st class. I applied for the stats course at UCL but I think it was too late as I've got no offer yet and they stopped accepting applications now but I got in to Warwick for MSc Statistics so I'm more than happy as their stats course is simply beautiful!

We're pretty much on the same boat haha. The way I've avoided all macro related modules this year, I'd be a good mile behind everyone else taking an MSc Economics
Reply 25
I knowwww and thats what makes it harder...

London's flagship uni vs. An established target uni

the first stats dept in the world vs. A world class econ dept

the city vs. A campus uni

etc etc....just makes the decision harder :frown:

How is UCL London's flagship university?

Did you mean Uni of London's flagship? That would be LSE.

Did you mean London city's flagship? That would still be LSE, rivalled only by Imperial.
Reply 26
Original post by LutherVan
How is UCL London's flagship university?

Did you mean Uni of London's flagship? That would be LSE.

Did you mean London city's flagship? That would still be LSE, rivalled only by Imperial.

other way round - Imperial 1st with LSE slightly behind
Reply 27
Imperial applications were unsuccessful (due to the preference of engineering grads :angry: lol) but yeah UCL is definitely looking like the first choice now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending