The Student Room Group

"Man boobs" - Gynecomastia

Anon/delete please

Hi TSR,

I'm 19 and about to go university this September. I have had Gynecomastia since I was about 13 and the problem got worst after I turned 15. Since 13, I haven't worn a t-shirt and haven't done ANYTHING that required me taking my shirt, and my vest and another shirt I wear underneath, off. I'm a good looking guy and have had a few girls asking me out but I've always had to say no because I know that I won't be able to be myself when I'm with them and will be too worried that they might notice my condition.

This isn't even about girls or relationships. I just want to go out in summer not having to wear a jacket. I don't want to wear 3 layers of clothing every time I go out. I want to be able to wear normal clothes without people looking at me.

I've looked up surgery as an option and have even gone to see a doctor and he told me my condition is the worst he's seen in more than 300 operations that he's done. NHS won't cover the cost of the operation and because of how much tissue I have in there the operation is complicated and it will cost me about £5000 to get my life back. Because of this condition I have been severely depressed and have put on 15 kg over the past few years and I can't do any sports to mantain my fitness and to burn that weight because I know people will laugh at me. I spoke to my gp and she said that there is no way NHS will pay for my operation.

I have honestly become tired of life. I know that unless I have this operation and then carry on to lose the excess 15 kg weight I will get depressed. I just don't know how to get the £5000 for this operation. The A levels I do are very hard and in my free time I have to keep up with the rest of my class because I'm not as intellegent as them. I just want a normal life so bad... I'm shaking while typing this.

Scroll to see replies

I heard it can be done on the NHS if your condition leads to depression or is harmful to your health e.g. breast reduction because its creating back problems.

Totally missed that part about the NHS, sorry

Get a loan?
Feel for ya, i have a mild case of it in my left nip.

Last time I went to see the docs he said that it could last till atleast 25, as that's when the hormones stop raging.

But I'm thinking about getting an operation on it, not sure if I want to yet, but its extremely sensitive. This means when I play contact sports and it gets knocked, it's so damn painful. I figure on this grounds i may be able to get the operation covered by the NHS - basically aslong as it's not simply for cosmetic reasons.:smile:
This must be very hard for you. Why not decrease your calorie intake, that will help you lose weight substantially. At the same time, you can go for a run around your local area, also invest in some dumbells so you can work out at home. All this will help you lose weight and gain some confidence.

Aside from that, I would get a part time job and start saving up for the operation.
Reply 4
Don't know how old you are, but if you go uni you can use some of your maintenance loan/grant to pay for it.
I'm a girl and I wouldn't mind it on a guy. I think they'd be fun to play with.

My bf has a bit of it because he's overweight and I like it.
Reply 6
Either get a loan or start saving. £5k is nothing if it's causing you so much difficulty in your life.
Original post by 2ndClass
Don't know how old you are, but if you go uni you can use some of your maintenance loan/grant to pay for it.

How much ****ing loan did you get? I sure as **** didn't have 5 grand left after bills & rent.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl and I wouldn't mind it on a guy. I think they'd be fun to play with.

My bf has a bit of it because he's overweight and I like it.

You can suck my man boobs dry any time, any place :biggrin:
Reply 9

This is such a wrong image

With pleasure
Dude, I hope you sort this out, but don't let it get you down until you do.

But this thread has made me smile, some of the replies LOL!
Reply 12
Original post by History-Student
How much ****ing loan did you get? I sure as **** didn't have 5 grand left after bills & rent.

Some people don't move out. He can still get both and use them for his treatment.
Reply 13
Original post by 2ndClass

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have anywhere near to 5k from uni loans left after accom and food.

I will get a job for sure next year but would have to do that anyway if I want to survive uni since my parents won't give me a penny and I'm not eligible for full student loan anyway. Ffs.
I think the correct medical term for it is 'moobs'.
Firstly excercise more, gyno is a form of fat - if you reduce your fat you will reduce the apperance of the breast tissue.

Secondly you could commence a course of Nolvadex, this essentially blocks the Oestrogen receptors under the nipple and can help prevent a further build up of unwanted breast tissue.

If this is a truly bad case then the operation may bea nessesity, however if you can 'cut up' as it were and reduce them as far as possible.

PM me with any further questions
I completely understand your situation. I have gynocomastia and I thought it was something that would go after my teens but I'm 22 now and it still affects my life.

In some cases (like mine), excercising more makes me more aware of my moobs. My body gets leaner but my moobs stay.

That's strange that the NHS won't pay for your surgery. I told my GP about how the condition ruins my life and he immediately recommended me for surgery. I'm now waiting for the date. Did you tell your GP about the psychological impact? Maybe try another doctor?

I don't know if you've looked into it already but compression vests are very good. They won't get rid of your moobs but you'll be able to wear a tight T-shirt without anyone knowing that you have Gynocomastia. You may have to lose weight before you use one but I'm not sure.

I'll be happy to answer any questions that you've got.
Gynaecomastia =/= fat man boobs.
Reply 18
Original post by Powerlifter
Firstly excercise more, gyno is a form of fat - if you reduce your fat you will reduce the apperance of the breast tissue.

Secondly you could commence a course of Nolvadex, this essentially blocks the Oestrogen receptors under the nipple and can help prevent a further build up of unwanted breast tissue.

If this is a truly bad case then the operation may bea nessesity, however if you can 'cut up' as it were and reduce them as far as possible.

PM me with any further questions

Gyno is breast tissue not fat, you can't reduce it with exercise, you can only reduce the surrounding fat.

There is no need to start nolvadex. Unless you are on the juice, most cases of gyno come about because of a one off raise in oestrogen levels in the body, usually during the early stages of puberty (like op's case). Usually the breast growth reduces on it's own, however sometimes if there has been a significant growth, the breast tissue will not subside. Althought it is highly unlikely they will grow even more.

OP if you've had it for more than 3 years it is unlikely they will reduce and surgery is really the only option. You can try and reduce your body fat, however you will not reduce the tissue.

If you don't want to take out a loan, keep pestering your gp about it, and ask to be reffered to another hospital. Sometimes it is possible to have a review on the nhs. Also showing that this is causing you distress may encourage them to give you the op. Please take my advice because I know this works. My cousin had a really bad case of gyno and was in the same position as you. The nhs kept telling him he couldn't get the op but he persevered and pestered them about and eventually they decided that the condition was lowering his quality of life and he was given the go ahead.

In the meantime, keep your chin up. Your gyno probably seems a lot worse to you then it does to other people. Try not to be too selfconcious about it. I know it's easier said than done, but at least try.
Original post by U.S Lecce
Gyno is breast tissue not fat, you can't reduce it with exercise, you can only reduce the surrounding fat.

There is no need to start nolvadex. Unless you are on the juice, most cases of gyno come about because of a one off raise in oestrogen levels in the body, usually during the early stages of puberty (like op's case). Usually the breast growth reduces on it's own, however sometimes if there has been a significant growth, the breast tissue will not subside. Althought it is highly unlikely they will grow even more.

OP if you've had it for more than 3 years it is unlikely they will reduce and surgery is really the only option. You can try and reduce your body fat, however you will not reduce the tissue.

If you don't want to take out a loan, keep pestering your gp about it, and ask to be reffered to another hospital. Sometimes it is possible to have a review on the nhs. Also showing that this is causing you distress may encourage them to give you the op. Please take my advice because I know this works. My cousin had a really bad case of gyno and was in the same position as you. The nhs kept telling him he couldn't get the op but he persevered and pestered them about and eventually they decided that the condition was lowering his quality of life and he was given the go ahead.

In the meantime, keep your chin up. Your gyno probably seems a lot worse to you then it does to other people. Try not to be too selfconcious about it. I know it's easier said than done, but at least try.

Are you suggesting gyno is not adipose tissue then? This is a form of fat, just like the female breast

Quick Reply

Latest