The Student Room Group

Posh girls, would you go for a guy who wasn't posh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Lollo*
People tend to meet others who have similar background, culture, interests etc. It is reflected in where you go to school, go out, go on holiday etc. So it is natural for people to 'click' with similar people. Yet when two people of wealthy backgrounds do it, it is seen as if they are being excluding, difficult, arrogant, "won't give poor people a chance". I think it's possible to be flexible in terms of dating, but there are limits of far you go. There is a certain type of guys I like with a certain look, that is simply my preference, and of course, it is probably shaped by my background. I'm not looking to get married yet either, so it is not about marrying well, it is simply about who you have things in common with. And obviously when the day comes for me to get serious with someone, I would want a guy with a similar financial background (or better), so we could live in the area I want, go on holidays certain places etc. I have never lived off a man, I expect to go 50/50 in on an apartment, so he would need to be quite well off for it to work. So to answer your question, you go for what you know.

I agree :biggrin:
Though I've been called 'posh' on many an occasion, yet I'm not wealthy by any means :redface: I think it's often the way you've been brought up that also has an effect, as in, I've been brought up with good manners and to 'be a lady' so that's who I am - I'm not necessarily regarded as 'posh' because ppl assume I'm wealthy :smile: Though Horses often have something to do with ppl judging my financial situation :tongue: lol.
Mind you, should a guy not come across as 'posh' etc, as long as he's a gentleman and respectful of me etc, I don't see why social status should be a deciding factor - if that makes sense :tongue:
my boyfriend is working class, lives in a relatively 'rough' area, doesn't have much money. i don't care. my parents are incredibly snobbish about it though. the amount of comments i've had from my mum about me being with a 'chav' is ridiculous. i come from quite a rich background, private school, rah rah.. you get the drift.
Reply 22
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
I agree :biggrin:
Though I've been called 'posh' on many an occasion, yet I'm not wealthy by any means :redface: I think it's often the way you've been brought up that also has an effect, as in, I've been brought up with good manners and to 'be a lady' so that's who I am - I'm not necessarily regarded as 'posh' because ppl assume I'm wealthy :smile: Though Horses often have something to do with ppl judging my financial situation :tongue: lol.
Mind you, should a guy not come across as 'posh' etc, as long as he's a gentleman and respectful of me etc, I don't see why social status should be a deciding factor - if that makes sense :tongue:

Can I ask how you know people assume you're wealthy?
I really don't know what people think about me in those terms. I have expensive clothes and all that, but I hope people just think I have good taste. One guy asked me why I didn't just buy a car as soon as I moved here, since I have to take the bus and I told him I don't have a license, and I wondered how he simply assumed I could buy a car without thinking about it (I can though, but haven't considered it :tongue: ). There are a lot of people who may have expensive items but they either borrow from parents or work their asses off with part time jobs. I have a few friends that I know for a fact are wealthy, either because their parents are well-known or because you google them and find pictures from a debutante ball. Other than that, you can easily get the wrong impression.
Reply 23
I have a bit of a toffee nosed accent. I hate it but i don't care whether or not the person i go out with is "posh" or not :/
Original post by *Lollo*
Can I ask how you know people assume you're wealthy?
I really don't know what people think about me in those terms. I have expensive clothes and all that, but I hope people just think I have good taste. One guy asked me why I didn't just buy a car as soon as I moved here, since I have to take the bus and I told him I don't have a license, and I wondered how he simply assumed I could buy a car without thinking about it (I can though, but haven't considered it :tongue: ). There are a lot of people who may have expensive items but they either borrow from parents or work their asses off with part time jobs. I have a few friends that I know for a fact are wealthy, either because their parents are well-known or because you google them and find pictures from a debutante ball. Other than that, you can easily get the wrong impression.

Well, getting comments like 'Are you rich because you have Horses??' or 'You are obviously well off because you have Horses' or 'You must own your own Farm' things like that tend to give me the impression ppl think I'm wealthy :tongue: lol.
I have a part time Job and intend to pay for Driving lessons, Horsey Exams etc etc myself - far more pride than not earning what you have/ having everything given to you by Parents imo :biggrin:
Reply 25
Well, getting comments like 'Are you rich because you have Horses??' or 'You are obviously well off because you have Horses' or 'You must own your own Farm' things like that tend to give me the impression ppl think I'm wealthy :tongue: lol.
I have a part time Job and intend to pay for Driving lessons, Horsey Exams etc etc myself - far more pride than not earning what you have/ having everything given to you by Parents imo :biggrin:

People at your school are obviously not discreet ! :/ I never talk about money with any of my friends.
Original post by *Lollo*
People at your school are obviously not discreet ! :/ I never talk about money with any of my friends.

Not just School (I'm not in school anymore) - Work, when I'm out etc etc :tongue:
I suppose it's just because I'm approachable, ppl think it's acceptable :tongue:
Besides, I know a lot of more confident ppl who aren't classed as 'posh', and it is generally not such a big deal to be sharing information like that, if you understand where I'm coming from :smile:
Reply 27
Define posh and not posh.
Does not posh only cover chavs or everyoen not rah?
I don't class myself as posh or (horrible term) "common" yet I've been called posh before.
*Waits for .Ali. to post* ......
Reply 29
Every posh girl wants to try a bit of rough at least once.
Reply 30
I am by most people standards posh or at least come from an incredibly wealthy background (2 houses, 5 cars, boat, horse etc). All my family went to oxbridge (mainly medics) and I go to a very good private school but usually I end up with someone on opposite end of scale who at 16 left a state school with no or very few qualifications and works as a labourer/stable hand/in a pet shop etc as just dislike arrogance of guys in similar circumstances as me.
There neer seem to be any issues due to differences in background but obviously my parents are never thrilled and are secretly quite pleased when after months a relationship ends with someone they deemed "just a bit of fun" but "unsuitable long term".
I tend to avoid guys who are posh just because I hate emphasis on money or any form of importance in it. I spend all my life volunteering or working on farms I don't want to ever have to act as some guy's lady far too restricting. I have no interest in economics or politics so no need to be with someone who feels the need to discuss them. All I ever go for is someone who makes me laugh, likes animals and isn't afraid of a bit of mud! In general this removes the "posh guys"
Sorry for essay just thought another perspective would be interesting for someone :smile:
Reply 31
Some people in this thread really need to work out the difference between posh and rich.
I'm not wealthy by any means
... Though Horses often have something to do with ppl judging my financial situation :tongue: lol.

If you have horses you are wealthy - horses are hella expensive!!!
I'm far from posh but we're comfortable, private school, uni etc. and my very recent ex was a high school drop out as such, used to get in to trouble with the police, a manual worker, no money or family stability - I completely adored him. I had doubts about forever, because we had such different views and desires, but I would have always been willing to make it work, he just didn't want it in the end :frown:
Original post by jacketpotato
If you have horses you are wealthy!

Yes, Horses are exceedingly expensive-and They consume a lot of effort and time too,but They're worth it all :smile: I go without going out with my friends, I go without buying myself anything, I also have to go without the chance of going to uni or learning to drive, among a variety of other things ppl take for granted, just so I can keep my Horses. Please dont judge a book by it's cover :wink: With great reward comes great sacrifice :smile:
in general, women are hypergamus creatures. they tend to court and marry men who have a higher socio-economic status than themselves. so it's unlikely that 'posh' girls will go for guys who aren't even more posh.
Reply 36
Original post by ellie_flower
He was very proud of his very working class roots and couldn't go out with me because I could afford to go to starbucks and eat out (in standard restuarants like Pizza express!) when I wanted to.

Not sure how Pizza Express is a 'standard' restaurant? It's well expensive - I'd say maybe something like Pizza Hut or a pub is 'standard', but even then they're quite overpriced for what you get :tongue:

Things I have learnt from this thread: there are some impressively/scarily rich people out there. I have dated a boy whose dad was a millionaire before (long story - it wasn't my motivating factor, I only found it out after I asked him out!) though, and it was incredibly awkward - it was a couple of years ago when I got a tenner a month pocket money and before I got either of my jobs, whereas he'd just say to his mum 'I'm off into town now' and she'd hand him like £60! So he'd buy everything and I'd never be able to pay for my half etc, or if we did do something I could afford to pay for, it'd invariably be downmarket compared to what he was used to. It wasn't why we split up, but it did put me off the whole relationship as I spent so much time feeling awkward. I don't know if I'd go through it again, to be honest - it's just so alienating when you get with someone and they're from a massively different background to the extent that you have little in common lifestyle-wise.
Reply 37
Original post by Toni42
I am by most people standards posh or at least come from an incredibly wealthy background (2 houses, 5 cars, boat, horse etc). All my family went to oxbridge (mainly medics) and I go to a very good private school but usually I end up with someone on opposite end of scale who at 16 left a state school with no or very few qualifications and works as a labourer/stable hand/in a pet shop etc as just dislike arrogance of guys in similar circumstances as me.
There neer seem to be any issues due to differences in background but obviously my parents are never thrilled and are secretly quite pleased when after months a relationship ends with someone they deemed "just a bit of fun" but "unsuitable long term".
I tend to avoid guys who are posh just because I hate emphasis on money or any form of importance in it. I spend all my life volunteering or working on farms I don't want to ever have to act as some guy's lady far too restricting. I have no interest in economics or politics so no need to be with someone who feels the need to discuss them. All I ever go for is someone who makes me laugh, likes animals and isn't afraid of a bit of mud! In general this removes the "posh guys"
Sorry for essay just thought another perspective would be interesting for someone :smile:

I completely agree with you - most of my friends, if not relationships, have been from the working-class end of the scale. I can't relate to people of my own middle middle class. They have nothing to fight for so tend to come up with ridiculous rules and "lifestyles" that restrict them and make them almost completely unapproachable. Ironically, the only non-pretentious middle-class families I've known are those made up of genuine artists.
Reply 38
Original post by kerily
Not sure how Pizza Express is a 'standard' restaurant? It's well expensive - I'd say maybe something like Pizza Hut or a pub is 'standard', but even then they're quite overpriced for what you get :tongue:

Pizza express is awful!! A little bit above pizza hut and a little bit below Ask. All suck balls, lol. I am hungry now :redface:

OP, define 'posh', it seems such a loose term
Reply 39
How to define 'posh'? There's an urban legend that POSH stands for Port Out Starboard Home. The term is supposed to have originated on the P&O Steamship route to the far east when first class passengers would travel on the port side going out and the starboard side coming home to avoid the winds. P&O dispute this, however, saying they never sold POSH tickets...

To some extent whether or not someone is posh is really quite a subjective thing e.g. if your parents worked hard to send you to a public school a lot of people might think you're posh but you personally may not feel very posh in comparison to much wealthier form mates.

I have to say that I think classy girls with posh accents are adorable. I'd love to meet a few more of them ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending