The Student Room Group

whistling at women on the street..the Facts!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Refrigerator
yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a guy whistle at a girl or honk in a car apart from in movies :s-smilie:

True, I think OP has been watching too many movies and needs to come out of his room and see the real world.
Original post by Ian Holloway
Doesn't really change the fact that you're applying prejudice to people on the basis of something as superficial as how they look, does it? The ones wolfwhistling you are being shallow yes, but they're not exactly applying discriminant prejudice to others for being uglier are they (showing disgust for them)?

Yes they are. They wouldnt wolf whistle someone they didnt find attractive. That is discriminating against the people they don't whistle at whichever way you look at it.

Anyway, sorry to say it but I am not alone in my thinking. I think plenty of women have had the same feeling when some GRUB comes and grinds themself up against you in a club.

*shudders*
What I do find comical about women is that they will dress up, make an effort etc then get pissed off if some bloke pays them attention.

Now they say they don't do it for attention, however as witness by myself in myrugby club, said lass (who is very attractive) had this problem the previous week as some fella was looking her up and down, so the week after at another do we all purposly did not look at her. She left in tears becuase we through she was ugly apparently.

You pray for rain, you have to be prepared for the mud - not saying it is right, but it is just the way of things.

I suppose Eveiebaby got it right, they want attention from some.
Original post by Powerlifter
What I do find comical about women is that they will dress up, make an effort etc then get pissed off if some bloke pays them attention.

Now they say they don't do it for attention, however as witness by myself in myrugby club, said lass (who is very attractive) had this problem the previous week as some fella was looking her up and down, so the week after at another do we all purposly did not look at her. She left in tears becuase we through she was ugly apparently.

You pray for rain, you have to be prepared for the mud - not saying it is right, but it is just the way of things.

I suppose Eveiebaby got it right, they want attention from some.

No offence, but this girls sounds like she has serious insecurity issues and therefore is not representative of women in general.

Though, true say, if you dress in a provocative fashion, you are going to get attention, whether that is fair or not.

The only acceptable form of "wolf whistling" I find is if in a Kidulthood style ie. ay girl, AY GIRL I'm chatting to you. OI MYSIZE.

Charming.:biggrin:
Reply 44
I've been whistled at before, and I never thought it take it offensively? Surely if anything you'd take it as a compliment? Just whistle back.
Reply 45
Original post by sassy123
In a way its good but it can also be annoying when you get unwanted male attention.But normaly it is chavs and pervs that wolf whistle and pap the horn.

This lady at 1st starts her sentence telling us how good it is in a way.She than resorts to calling people who do it chavs and pervs why are you woman contradicting yourself's? this is why you dont get those management jobs you want you can't make a clear understandable choice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Eveiebaby
I admit that if I get wolf whistled, my reaction depends on if I find the whistler attractive or not. I think you'll find that if a woman finds the person attractive, it is VERY flattering and puts a visible spring in their step.

If however I am not attracted to the person, or even perhaps slightly disgusted which happens more frequently, then I am a bit grossed out about it and scuttle past at lightning speed.

I know it shouldn't be like that but it is, I'm afraid to admit. Same sort of thing when it comes to men approaching me/dancing at me in clubs.

A man trys to sexually assault you but since he is attractive you let him carry on
and label it sex , ugly guy than trys the same thing its time to call the police.
Yes they are. They wouldnt wolf whistle someone they didnt find attractive. That is discriminating against the people they don't whistle at whichever way you look at it.

You're missing the point. The people wolf whistling you are not singling others out for their appearance, only complimenting you. Whereas you are belittling others by showing disgust solely on the basis of their appearance. It is pretty obvious which one is worse and more shallow.

Anyway, sorry to say it but I am not alone in my thinking. I think plenty of women have had the same feeling when some GRUB comes and grinds themself up against you in a club.

I know, almost all women do this. But then most women are extremely shallow so it figures. Most women believe that because someone looks a particular way, they should then act in a certain way correspondingly. It's quite pathetic really.
You're missing the point. The people wolf whistling you are not singling others out for their appearance, only complimenting you. Whereas you are belittling others by showing disgust solely on the basis of their appearance. It is pretty obvious which one is worse and more shallow.

I know, almost all women do this. But then most women are extremely shallow so it figures. Most women believe that because someone looks a particular way, they should then act in a certain way correspondingly. It's quite pathetic really.

It's incredibly shallow on an equal level to wolf whistle.

It 's a judgement, (albeit a positive one) to be wolf whistling at someone at appreciation of their appearance. Singling them out from other passers by who they havent wolf whistled in terms of subjective attractiveness.

If I don't like them in particular and I don't know them at all they are both still judgements on appearance. Both as equally shallow as the other. One positive and one negative. Thats the only difference to my mind.

Besides, it's not as if I swear or anything. It's not as if I'm vocalising any distain. I would say that would be actively bellittling someone. I'm sure that if a girl illicited a positive response to said whistling, there would be less argument from you, although that's still a judgement call. She approves and likes you. It can go one way or the other. That's just the way it is. You can't expect everyone to fancy everyone.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Mancini
A man trys to sexually assault you but since he is attractive you let him carry on
and label it sex , ugly guy than trys the same thing its time to call the police.

Well if anyone's trying to sexually assault you thats a judgement that they fancy you isnt it? The recipient has a right to whether they reciprocate that based on their attraction too.

It's up to you to know if someone's being encouraging to your advances or not. If someone's trying to get away - attractive or not, the best thing would be to leave it!

I'd say that there's a line of decency to how much touching I allow anyway. Sexual assault. That's obviously too much; even if he's/she's hot, I'd tell them to calm the hell down.

If you don't fancy someone, you're not going to be exactly happy that they're touching you are you? The instinct, male or female is to get away surely?

If there's chemistry though, then it's nice to carry up to a point and you feel compelled to be close to that person. It's not rocket science.

What the other female poster was saying in lay mans terms:

Attention is really good, but usually only if it comes from someone you find attractive as well. If not, then depending on the girl it can be slightly uncomfortable, possibly a bit embarrassing, maybe even angry/annoyed or they might be slightly flattered and just feel neutral, it depends on how the attention is made.
(edited 13 years ago)
If you hate women so much, turn gay and leave us alone.
Reply 51
Original post by NerdBOY1
Men stop listening to women on this topic, women will give you mixed messages on this topic.
I personally do not whistle at women in the street, because I can't whistle, plus I do not want to give them a big ego.

I notice...when some men whistle at a girl in the street,,,,the woman get all big headed and start to act like she is all that, but at the same time pretending how disgusted she is.

If these same women were not whistled at, but only their mates got whistled at, they would get jealous of their mates, as to why men only whistle at their mates and not at her, if they is something wrong with her, if she is not as sexy enough.

Men stop listening to women,,,, they change rules and moral stands when it suits them!! what they tell you and what they think are not always the same, why do you think, even other women call women 2 faced!

This is the same thing when it comes to chatting up women,,,lot of them would get all pretentious, but if no one chatted them up and only their mates got chatted up, they would try mess it up,,,or get all insecure and jealous of their mates.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/comma

Thought you might be interested.
Both as equally shallow as the other. One positive and one negative.

If one is positive and the other negative, they are quite obviously not equally as shallow. The negative rebuttal is way more shallow than the positive compliment (at the expense of others). How are you not getting this?
Reply 53
The car horn is worse.
I just always think that wolf whistling is a bit crude, and the whistlers seem to get some sort of satisfaction in making the whistlee embarrased. I think it's just a bit pointless. And OP, I think you're mistaking different women having different opinions, with women 'changing the rules and moral standards'. I personally hate it, some women might not, whatever.
I dont like it when guys whistle at me. dont they realise that girls are more than just sex objects?
I like it! I'm a bit of a Plain Jane, and have little fashion sense so it gives me some confidence. I never know how to react though.
Meh I don't whistle/grab/shout at women, I do however do the double take....I can't help it. I notice a lot smile if they catch me doing it though.
If one is positive and the other negative, they are quite obviously not equally as shallow. The negative rebuttal is way more shallow than the positive compliment (at the expense of others). How are you not getting this?

It doesnt matter whether a reaction is positive or negative. Any comment based on looks is shallow regardless of whether it's a nice one or not. Judging on looks is by nature shallow.
Reply 59
At least wolf whistling you can assume it was meant for someone else on the street and just ignore it. I've had guys honk their horn and pull their car over to the side of the road to try it on, it's like, come on, at least if you're whistling you've seen my face, when you honk at me driving down the road you've only seen my backside! Feels like less of a compliment, more 'You've got a decent arse' which isn't really the nicest thing you can be saying to a girl :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending