The Student Room Group

How has mental illness affected your life?

Scroll to see replies

:colondollar:
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
To be honest, you can call it what the **** you want. It doesn't subtract from the fact that there are people going through extreme distress because of their experiences, and that those individuals should be offered help, as this thread nothing but demonstrates.

I'm not saying that people don't suffer from problems, but calling this an illness is just a lie and in my opinion doesn't help people change there behaviour
Original post by sally12379823
:colondollar:

I'm not saying that people don't suffer from problems, but calling this an illness is just a lie and in my opinion doesn't help people change there behaviour

What would you call it?
What would you call it?

It's not a illness, and having previously experienced what you would class as depression and anxiety, it does absolutely nothing to help it by saying it is. Sure people might want help with there behaviour if they think it's problematic, but that is not an illness.
It's not a illness, and having previously experienced what you would class as depression and anxiety, it does absolutely nothing to help it by saying it is. Sure people might want help with there behaviour if they think it's problematic, but that is not an illness.

Doesn't answer the question though.

Actually, if you're interested in this kind of thing, a psychiatrist called Jan Foundraine wrote a book about his attempts to redefine mental illness under a different semantic system, including his role as a psychiatrist. Essentially he turned his part of a psychiatric hospital into a school and took up the role of an educator. The book documents the subsequent impact of medicalizing this issue. The book is called Not Made of Wood if youre interested.
Original post by Anonymous
I've suffered from pretty severe OCD for five years now; it crushed myself confidence and made me a pretty messed up individual.

Only now am I kind of coming to terms with the fact that I really do need help (taken long enough)..and I'm so tired of having to pretend everything's okay- I daren't moan about it incase I annoy people.

My parents still don't know but I hate to admit I can't help but feel ashamed and embarassed even though I know I shouldn't.

Anyway, I'm interested in how people handle it whether it's yourself or someone you know.

I think that there should be more of an emphasis on recognising mental illnesses because in my experience nobody really talks about them because they're kind of invisible if you get what I mean and my parents have often just labelled me as a 'hormonal' teenager :/

Firstly, I'm glad to read you have acknowledged you need help, and that you are now seeking some support with that, that's brill :biggrin:

Well, I personally haven't suffered with any sort of mental illness, but when I was 14-15, my best male friend was taken to a mental institute, and I really didn't handle that well, especially since he said, and I too thought, that it was my fault that he was taken there. He had been down for months, and he used to talk to me everyday about how he felt etc, and he slowly but surely just deteriorated and got harded to be with. I then started to develop feelings for him, (whilst already having a boyfriend) and gahh it was a messed up situation, and probably one of the roughest patches of my life so far. A member of my immediate family also suffers with clinical depression, so I would say I have had my fair share of mental illness association :P

On the plus side, I'm glad the media and society in general have started to draw more attention about mental illness; I particularly like the new advert about time to change :biggrin: made me giggle :smile: :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dTgAGeNRpw&feature=relmfu

Teeheee!
Doesn't answer the question though.

Actually, if you're interested in this kind of thing, a psychiatrist called Jan Foundraine wrote a book about his attempts to redefine mental illness under a different semantic system, including his role as a psychiatrist. Essentially he turned his part of a psychiatric hospital into a school and took up the role of an educator. The book documents the subsequent impact of medicalizing this issue. The book is called Not Made of Wood if youre interested.

I don't have an answer as to what to call it tbh, and that looks really interesting, is the book online anywhere?
My mums going to the docs to sort her medication out hopefully that means less aggro in the house :erm: I cant help but feel I'm slowly sinking into depression as well >.<
People always think I'm frowning and sometimes my facial expressions are weird and I blink creepily but otherwise it's not too bad. Could be much worse, anyway.
Reply 528

It may have done nothing to help you. How can you speak for everyone though? Whilst a diagnosis could become a self-fulfilling prophecy for some, it might help others come to terms with what they've gone through and move forward. I don't think you should be so quick to judge other people's experiences of mental illness from your own somewhat limited one.

From reading this thread it's pretty obvious that their are different kinds of mental illness and degrees of severity. You might think that someone who feels low and anxious isn't 'ill' (and others would disagree with you) - what about someone who hears voices and cannot tell the difference between what is real and what is not? Someone in a depressive stupor who is unable to sleep, eat, concentrate, or take care of themselves? If you don't think schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc are 'illnesses' I think you at least have to accept that they are out of a person's control and no amount of 'willpower' or just 'changing the way you think' is going to solve the problem.
I've pushed away so many friends. So many wasted opportunities. /:
I feel so bad for everyone around me.

I don't have an answer as to what to call it tbh, and that looks really interesting, is the book online anywhere?

So how can you say it is not an illness. How would you define illness?

Fraid not. It's on amazon though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Made-Wood-Psychiatrist-Profession/dp/0704330164/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301821924&sr=8-1

It's hard to find a copy in English as it was originally written in Dutch.
Original post by Anonymous
I've suffered from pretty severe OCD for five years now; it crushed myself confidence and made me a pretty messed up individual.

Only now am I kind of coming to terms with the fact that I really do need help (taken long enough)..and I'm so tired of having to pretend everything's okay- I daren't moan about it incase I annoy people.

My parents still don't know but I hate to admit I can't help but feel ashamed and embarassed even though I know I shouldn't.

Anyway, I'm interested in how people handle it whether it's yourself or someone you know.

I think that there should be more of an emphasis on recognising mental illnesses because in my experience nobody really talks about them because they're kind of invisible if you get what I mean and my parents have often just labelled me as a 'hormonal' teenager :/

I'm bipolar. It gets pretty bad, but having people around me who get me helps. It's made me a stronger person though..sooo.
I've had bipolar since 2006. Well it was probably always there but hadn't manifested itself properly. I've been hospitalised cos of a few manic episodes and although I tried to stay in university I couldn't. (Not because I was depressed oddly enough but the two previous manic episodes were both at uni and caused me to drop out, switch course to something I never liked and knock my academic drive dead). There are positive traits to it, many of life's "greats" have it/have had it and if you learn how to use it properly there's no doubt it can be a positive thing. But currently I'm not getting it under control (and it's my fault really in many ways, but in many ways it's not). I know that there's steps I can take to make it easier for me but it's stopping me living my life in the sense that it holds me back from things and its stopped me getitng my degree. I live in hope, and this is from the perspective of one of my better moods, that one day I'll be able to manage it (but anyone that has it will know how difficult that is, and that's without taking my own circumstances into account). IDK really. I can't think about the ifs and buts I've just got to live on the what is, accept it (which I am) and try to manage it (which I'm trying to do)
Quick question

I haven't been to my GP in over a year about my mental health (depression and self harm as a result) and I'm wanting to join the army next year. How realistic is this? Please don't give any opinion on my situation, I just want to know if my dream is possible.
Good thread.
Original post by converselove
Quick question

I haven't been to my GP in over a year about my mental health (depression and self harm as a result) and I'm wanting to join the army next year. How realistic is this? Please don't give any opinion on my situation, I just want to know if my dream is possible.

Probably not. I looked into joining the army, they told me no chance with my history of depression and self harm.

It may depend how long you've been depressed, how much you self harmed, how long you been free etc, no one here can answer on your exact circumstances so why not go have a chat in your local recruiting office?
Reply 537
Dannng mental illness did something to me socially although I'm alot better now. I'm just not the same person ultimately. I don't want to delve into the drugs though.
Original post by Sabertooth
Probably not. I looked into joining the army, they told me no chance with my history of depression and self harm.

It may depend how long you've been depressed, how much you self harmed, how long you been free etc, no one here can answer on your exact circumstances so why not go have a chat in your local recruiting office?

Yeah I'll have a chat with them. Tbh, my self harm isn't that bad and I haven't actually been diagnosed with depression so the only thing my GP would have to tell the army in the medical forms is that I had a previous history of self harm. But yeah, I'll talk it over with my recruiting office. Thanks for the reply :smile:
An uncertain diagnosis at the moment but I had went to my doctors to discuss my problem and she thinks that I match up to the symptoms of BDD.

My obsession with my teeth has lasted for almost a year now. All of the time I had not realised that it was taking over parts of my life and it had done in many levels.

I noticed slight changes to my teeth, i.e. mild erosion and gum problems. This was the initial stage in my obsession and after that I bought hundreds of pounds worth of products online and through the counter, yet I had not met satisfication. I went to the dentist too often, even to the dental hospital for my anxienty and finally went privately when I hadn't gotten anywhere with the public service.

The whole idea of obsessing reflected on the way I perceived myself in the mirror, scrutinizing each imperfection at least 5 times a day in every light, but eventually I couldn't handle looking and avoided looking in the mirror at all. It has affected me socially too, feeling paranoid of the judgements I'd receive outside, even covering my mouth to take that focus away. I still find it difficult to go out in broad daylight and I cannot meet the guy I've been yearning to see simply because I am so anxious about how he'd judge me.

Hopefully treatment would take these thoughts away when they creep up :frown: - it's a horrible feeling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending