The Student Room Group

If someone eats some of your food?

When staying in halls, i've heard lots of things about people eating other people's food. Seeing as a kitchen is shared between a few people it probably does happen a lot.

I think I would be a little possessive about my own food. I would probably make an example of the first person who took some of my food to let people know it's not on, but that might make me seem like a complete dick so idk.

What do you think is the appropriate thing to do should someone eat some of your food? Or what have you done/people done to you in the past?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For the first time I'll probably just say "Hey mate, mind not eating my food again please."
If they did it again than something to warn them not to do it a third time :P
Make sure you mark it with your scent so people know it's yours. You know what i'm talking about...
Reply 3
I just accepted it but kept the best stuff in my room.
Original post by AMorgan26
When staying in halls, i've heard lots of things about people eating other people's food. Seeing as a kitchen is shared between a few people it probably does happen a lot.

I think I would be a little possessive about my own food. I would probably make an example of the first person who took some of my food to let people know it's not on, but that might make me seem like a complete dick so idk.

What do you think is the appropriate thing to do should someone eat some of your food? Or what have you done/people done to you in the past?

Making an example out of someone would make you look a bit like a tool, IMO.

Nothing wrong with being possessive over your food, after all, you did buy it from your own pocket. Invest in a way of keeping food in your room :smile:
Reply 5
im colour coding mine, already planned it and everything.
Reply 6
First of all, make sure there are different shelves for each person. A shelf each tends to stop this happening a little bit, although it's not a foolproof plan.

Definitely tell that person (providing you know who it is) politely but firmly that they've eaten your food and you'd like them to reimburse you. Emphasise that you're a student with a tight budget and if they need anything, all they have to do is ask first (when they ask for something, say no but don't tell them that). If they keep taking your food, tell them to start contributing to your shopping bill or you'll start taking their food. In the meantime, keep as much food as you can in your room.

I've found that if you cook meals and then store them in the fridge then people won't touch them.
Reply 7
Didnt give a sh!t about little things, not really fussed about bigger things either as long as they bought it back
I put up a friendly but firm anonymous and typed notice - the girl that did it then pretended it was happening to her (when we knew it could only be her doing it) but also stopped stealing our food, so its worked to be fair.
Yeah, having your own shelves in the fridge and freezer helps. Also your own cupboard. The problem I had, was inconsiderate dicks using my stuff that I had just washed then not washing it up after/ruining my equipment, i.e stupid girl tried cutting her half defrosted meat with my wooden spatula :/ grimey.
Grrrrrr it makes me rage :angry:

Especially when you catch them and they act like it's not a big problem. I'm a student, I can barely afford to feed myself let alone some lazy **** who can't be bothered to go shopping!

Mini-rant over. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Someone will steal food at some point, its a given. Happens all the time.
Mark jars with a coloured board marker. Keep bread in your room and butter and cheese in a fridge in your room, never leave alcohol in a comunial area and if it still happens then dont go ape. Just put a note on the fridge politly explaining that your food is yours and they are stealling.

I used to live in a shared house and used to bag all my fruit by weight and calories (cause im a girl on a mission) and that stopped anyone knicking owt, baring that spend more time in the comunial area. you'll seem to be more social but acctually your keeping an eye on you stuff..

hope that helped.
Reply 12
Original post by JCM89
I just accepted it but kept the best stuff in my room.

Sorry but that makes you a bit of a pussy if you didn't say anything at all.

Original post by ilickbatteries
Making an example out of someone would make you look a bit like a tool, IMO.

Nothing wrong with being possessive over your food, after all, you did buy it from your own pocket. Invest in a way of keeping food in your room :smile:

Yeah I suppose, I'd have to be the alpha male of the flat though :cool:

Original post by leahrascal
im colour coding mine, already planned it and everything.

Unfortunately I don't think that would stop some people.
Reply 13
try a ross from friends and leave an angry note?
Reply 14
Erm, I really don't care about this stuff. Me & my flatmates borrow each others food. If it's something big or you finish it - replace it, but don't stress.
Reply 15
Original post by AMorgan26
Sorry but that makes you a bit of a pussy if you didn't say anything at all.

Saying something doesn't make it stop. People just see that it bothers you and they do it more to wind you up. Being in halls is like that - people with too much time on their hands and not enough entertainment.

Yours,

Pussy Galore
Reply 16
Original post by JCM89
Saying something doesn't make it stop. People just see that it bothers you and they do it more to wind you up. Being in halls is like that - people with too much time on their hands and not enough entertainment.

Yours,

Pussy Galore

You gotta let them know they shouldn't mess with you. I actually lol'd at that last bit. Well done.
Reply 17

Yours,

Pussy Galore

Yes, this is also true. wait till you get there, see what the people are like and act accordingly.
Silly little things are ok, and I don't mind if they ask, but towards the end of the year, most of my weekly shopping just vanished, so I had to keep some things in my room, and just do daily shops instead of weekly shops. Out of order.
You can't always stop it happening. Food goes missing in my flat but none of us know who it is. It seems to be happening to everyone so we're all mega confused. I wish the suggestions people made actually stop it happening!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending