The Student Room Group

I'm thinking of giving up uni and working for PETA

Hi,
I recently got offered a job at PETA in london, but im currently at uni. I'm not really doing that well at uni, and find it hard to study etc. I've always been interested in animal rights, so would love to work for peta.. but is it a good career move? like as ajob for the rest of my life?
Reply 1
If you want to work for a organisation known for its radical/aggressive media stunts rather than its animal welfare policy, then by all means do it.
You might as well join al-Qaeda.
What are the wages? What was/is your degree?

Just out of interest
Reply 4
Original post by Cybele
If you want to work for a organisation known for its radical/aggressive media stunts rather than its animal welfare policy, then by all means do it.

aye tis true. There was an undercover investigation by them about animals being skinned alive in the far east for fur. But actually it turned out their standard way of doing it is to kill the animal first and this particular worker had been paid by PETA to kill the animal alive for their cameras and he actually thought it was odd these people wanted to see that. Don't doubt animals are skinned alive at times but in this particular case it was apparently fabricated.

I suppose mainly though the issue is how aggressive they are and how short sighting some of their actions are. I mean they seem to hate medical testing despite the fact the old days of pouring shampoo in an animals eyes just to see what happens are gone. But I don't see them standing to their convictions and refusing all medicines discovered via this route..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by joey11223
aye tis true. There was an undercover investigation by them about animals being skinned alive in the far east for fur. But actually it turned out their standard way of doing it is to kill the animal first and this particular worker had been paid by PETA to kill the animal alive for their cameras and he actually thought it was odd these people wanted to see that. Don't doubt animals are skinned alive at times but in this particular case it was apparently fabricated.

I suppose mainly though the issue is how aggressive they are and how short sighting some of their actions are. I mean they seem to hate medical testing despite the fact the old days of pouring shampoo in an animals eyes just to see what happens are gone. But I don't see them standing to their convictions and refusing all medicines discovered via this route..

This is unfortunately true. Watch Penn & Teller's Bull**** on PETA and, whilst P&T can be a little radical themselves, the sad truth is that PETA are an aggressive "charity" who deem it perfectly acceptable to put down healthy animals because pets are supposedly "slaves to humans". An American member of PETA was alleged to have bought near enough a whole litter of healthy puppies from a breeder only to have them put down because pets = animals in captivity = cruel, according to PETA.

Plus they're incredibly biased and hide a lot of skeletons in their wardrobes.. literally :frown: I'm all for animal rights - hell, vegetarian for 4 yrs and loved animals all my life so much that I'm planning to train in veterinary nursing - but if you want a balanced, level-headed animal charity that really is just for the animals and not for the money/publicity, go for VIVA.
(edited 13 years ago)
If that's what you feel passionate about and what you want to do, then do it. Only you know what's the right path for you in your own life; if we all just forced ourselves through Uni to please others then looked back and regretted it, would it be worth it? Don't live your life for other people. You know what you want, and you're still young; even if it wasn't the right choice it's not your last chance!
Wish you every success, I think it's great to devote yourself to something you feel passionate about.
Reply 7
I'm into animal rights myself and can honestly say DON'T DO IT. They give all animal rights a bad name which is ultimately doing worse for animals. I get their fundamental message but they go about it in stupid ways that discourages support from people. Don't work for PETA until they get a clue and stop killing animals and do something more hands on with the animals with all their millions of dollars. Sure I support PETA's general idea e.g. neuter your animals but they still have not managed to stop killing animals despite having millions in the bank.
Reply 8
Original post by veggie91
I'm into animal rights myself and can honestly say DON'T DO IT. They give all animal rights a bad name which is ultimately doing worse for animals. I get their fundamental message but they go about it in stupid ways that discourages support from people. Don't work for PETA until they get a clue and stop killing animals and do something more hands on with the animals with all their millions of dollars. Sure I support PETA's general idea e.g. neuter your animals but they still have not managed to stop killing animals despite having millions in the bank.

This all over.
Reply 9

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending