The Student Room Group

Why do students have such terrible posture?

I notice this all the time since getting mine improved by a physio. Most people's is terrible and bound to lead to problems later in life.

Why do you think this is?
Didn't people get reminded to hold their shoulders back and stand and sit up straight? (my parents sadly didn't)
Is it seem as cool to slouch?

Any other reasons?

Thanks for any help

Scroll to see replies

Haha, has this question been tenaciously bugging you?
Reply 2

For me, anyway.
Reply 3
I disagree. im a horse rdier and 18. people always comment on my posture. I think if you just get into the habit you can improve really well.
Reply 4
Constantly sitting in front of laptop / PC / Games console - especially games consoles, the amount people slouch when playing PS3 is incredible :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Superlogon
I disagree. im a horse rdier and 18. people always comment on my posture. I think if you just get into the habit you can improve really well.

Lol.

This isn't a mathematical proof whereby one counterexample disproves the conjecture. Seems like H&R does this quite a lot, everyone becomes very offended at the slightest hint of a generalisation. I agree that students do tend to have quite bad posture.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Superlogon

I presume as a horse rider you have better than average posture? Which is probably why people comment so therefore that indicates students do have bad posture?
Reply 7
Students spend a lot of their lives leaning forward. Writing, reading, gaming. What the hell do you expect :lolwut:
Reply 8
I did ballet for 10 years and my posture is commented on occasionally, however I do notice that others do have bad posture, I don't think it is just students though.
Reply 9
Poor seating
Original post by n1r4v
Lol.

This isn't a mathematical proof whereby one counterexample disproves the conjecture. Seems like H&R does this quite a lot, everyone becomes very offended at the slightest hint of a generalisation. I agree that students do tend to have quite bad posture.

Haha that's so true. Someone will give a fact based on averages and people are like OMG I know a friend who knows a friends sister who doesn't do that, that is wrong don't generalise....

But the fact is, if nobody generalised how would you ever discuss differences in people.. There's always exceptions which is why we talk about majorities...
Reply 11
We spend too much time slouching.
I probably have terrible posture...
Reply 12
(Has just stood up straight)
It's cos were all worn down by exams and revision :[
Reply 13
Slouching when working especially writing and on the computer and then getting in to the habit of slouching.

PS:
Original post by Liam 09

SHERLOCK! :lovedup:
I was diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis just a few months back which is the reason I tend to slouch... I can't help it.
Just realised I've been doing that a lot the last few days because I study for so long everyday omg i'll fail further maths
I walk around 6 miles each day to and from uni carrying heavy text books, if you want to pay someone to carry them for me so I can improve my posture, feel free, otherwise, quit moaning!
I don't apparently :biggrin:
My great nan's way of improving posture was to strap a piece of wood to my back whilst sitting down. It's a family tradition according to my Nanna. It worked though :smile:

I wouldn't do it on my own kids obviously, there's probably all sorts of legislation preventing it!
Reply 18
Sofa-slouch, computer-slouch, lecture-slouch, eating-greasy-takeaway slouch... etc etc.

I'm doing a mixture of sofa/computer.

:awesome:
..so who else just sat up straighter? :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending