The Student Room Group

Why do students have such terrible posture?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by my_username_was_taken
I presume as a horse rider you have better than average posture? Which is probably why people comment so therefore that indicates students do have bad posture?

My point was, i'm still sat at desks all day and carry my heavy laptop bag around. Being a student is not really an excuse to have a bad posture. If you get into the habit of correcting your posture conciously you'll always ahve that posture with you
Bend over reading textbooks? idk
I notice this all the time since getting mine improved by a physio. Most people's is terrible and bound to lead to problems later in life.

Why do you think this is?
Didn't people get reminded to hold their shoulders back and stand and sit up straight? (my parents sadly didn't)
Is it seem as cool to slouch?

Any other reasons?

Thanks for any help

Carrying the overwhelming weight of books for college. :frown:
I notice this all the time since getting mine improved by a physio. Most people's is terrible and bound to lead to problems later in life.

Didn't people get reminded to hold their shoulders back and stand and sit up straight? (my parents sadly didn't)

Any other reasons?

Thanks for any help

I'm trying to correct my posture. Was quite bad and I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me by a friend

Why have you been negged? Posture is v important.

Some possible causes of poor posture:

- Lack of exercise/poor fitness
- Slouching (e.g. if you're very tall, conscious of your body, depressed, low self esteem etc)
- Other illness
- Carrying heavy books/laptop around in shoulder bag, for example
- Spending many hours over a laptop/book
- Poor seating
- Having huge breasts

It definitely leads to problems later in life e.g. joint pain, hunching, stiffness etc.

Things that help

- Massage
- Exercise
- Consciously correcting posture
- Corsets (never tried myself but apparently so)
- Healthy diet
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Computer Slouch
Original post by iPodAddict93
Do you fancy carrying my heavy bag of textbooks around school for me? Cos it's caused terrible back pain that means whatever position I'm in it hurts, even now. Also in my science subjects we are in labs, meaning there is no back support for me 10 hours a week.

Also when writing, no one remains perfectly upright.

I also do science subjects and we have stools as well. However this has improved my posture.

And why does everyone carry heavy bags of textbooks around? I mean I just bring pen and paper to my lessons. Textbook is for home surely?
Training with free weights is good for posture. I used to always try to remind myself to walk tall but ended up slouching a bit, till I started deadlifting and then the muscle tone improved in my back and I felt like I straightened up naturally.
Reply 47
It'd help if ALL we had to sit on weren't just stools.
being tall, having trouble hearing what people say therefore i slough to hear them, and lots of hours at computer desk and on science stools (even though its a history room ffs)
Lousy seats on public transport and broken computer chairs at college. Also I could be the last Homo erectus.
That's why you should have a bag that goes over both shoulders. Otherwise this can lead to scoliosis and other back and other problems later in life.

Invest in your future.

My current bag cost £70.
Reply 51
Slouching!
because they carry heavy bags and they sit on their asses quite a bit having to do research on the comp.
Original post by Freerider101
I also do science subjects and we have stools as well. However this has improved my posture.

And why does everyone carry heavy bags of textbooks around? I mean I just bring pen and paper to my lessons. Textbook is for home surely?

At our school we are required to work out of the textbook or use them as a resource in every lesson.
I was born with a twisted bacbone and rotated rib cage... Cant really blame me for my posture.
Slouching in front of the telly eating pizza and watching Simpsons/Futurama/Friends/Family Guy/Mock The Week/QI/HIGNFY is no way to develop good posture :fyi:
Original post by Liam 09
Poor seating

This basically, one of our lecture theatres has stools mounted a fixed distance from a desk with a very short back rest, meaning you either have to slouch back, or lean forwards.
Reply 57
I blame the seats in science too. I don't see why they can't just buy tall ones with backs.

Any other reasons?

Thanks for any help

I don't think that's a rule parents tend to instill on their children anymore, unfortunately.

I imagine part of the reason - at least, I know why I used to slouch a lot - is because students are often carrying around heavy things and it's much easier to do so when slouching.

Fortunately, I appear to have improved recently without noticing because I often get complemented on my posture. :confused:
Original post by iPodAddict93
At our school we are required to work out of the textbook or use them as a resource in every lesson.

Really? I thought textbooks were just to use at home if you're stuck. Our teachers teach all the topics of the top of their heads and give hand outs with tonnes of examples. I much prefer it because school isn't very taxing and it means when I get home I'm actually in the mood to work!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending