The Student Room Group

Do you have the "family rule" when it comes to relationships?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I wouldn't break up with someone over it, but I would prefer that they like them.
No. My family drives me crazy, I have no reason to listen to them. Besides, my brother and sister are dating people my mum doesn't approve of and they don't care.
Original post by Bibbster123
My mum says i can date anyone but my sister

what about your mum.....?
I don't think i'd let my parents influence me, but I like to think they'd be reasonable enough to let me make my own decisions.
Hmmm.. Depends why they don't like them.
Reply 25
It would upset me if they disliked my choice of partner, but I wouldn't let it affect my relationship unless they had a valid reason for disliking him.
For me it would depend on why, but I'd like to date whoever I please and I would prefer if my parents trusted me enough to make informed decisions on who I was with.
Reply 27
My family mean the world to me, but they don't get to decide who I do or do not date.
If they disliked my partner I'd of course be interested in finding out why.
If their reasons are valid then yes I would take up the issue with the guy in question but otherwise, it's just something they'd have to learn to live with out of love and respect for myself and my ability to make my own decisions :smile:
I would never back down just to please them.
I want to get into a relationship with whomever I want My family shouldn't have a say in that.
No.
My dad pretends like I don't exist because I won't break up with my boyfriend. Like he literally walks into me as if I'm not there.
My boyfriend isn't even allowed to wait for me at the bottom of our drive ffs.

I'll date who I like :h:
Reply 30
I get around this by not introducing any partner to my family. When I was at school, they met my girlfriend a couple of times in passing when she was in the house, but her being my girlfriend was never mentioned by anyone. I think as long as I'm married to someone respectable by the time I'm 40, they'll be happy
Reply 31
Original post by chemical_bex
No.
My dad pretends like I don't exist because I won't break up with my boyfriend. Like he literally walks into me as if I'm not there.
My boyfriend isn't even allowed to wait for me at the bottom of our drive ffs.

I'll date who I like :h:

Ouch! There is a strict family in my area who have a daughter who's boyfriend always waited downstairs for her to come out. It went on like this for years, but now she has moved out and in with him and as far as I know her parents are pretty chill with him now.
Reply 32
Original post by Ich Dien
No.

You have two sets of Grandparents to choose from, unless your own family hates you as well

I didn't mention my own parents, can't you read? How do you know my parents will still be alive when I have kids anyway?
Reply 33
Original post by Fynch101
I didn't mention my own parents, can't you read? How do you know my parents will still be alive when I have kids anyway?

I didnt mention your parents ethier, I merely named a hypothectical situation in which you would have no choice but to let your children hang around with the set of grandparents that dislike you. It was a joke you missed.

There age or health is totally irrelevent considering its a hypothetical situation

Way to be touchy.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't give a toss what my family thinks, neither my friends but that is more problematic...can make things very difficult if they don't like your other half.
Yeah no way, but quite frankly if I heard her family didn't like me, I'd be pretty likely to cause a scene and never feel like speaking to her again anyway. Can you imagine them being grandparents to your child? yeah thought not...

:lolwut:

Srsly? No wonder they wouldn't like you, then.
I really though this was gonna be 'Is it ok to date my ex gf's sister?'.

I wouldn't break up with someone because my family didn't like them, although the 2 people I've dated seriously my parents and brother would probably get along with.
Reply 37
Original post by Pink Bullets
:lolwut:

Srsly? No wonder they wouldn't like you, then.

That doesn't make sense
That doesn't make sense

Neither does ceasing contact with someone because someone they're related to doesn't like you, to be fair.
My parents would go crazy if i was dating someone. It's never going to happen according to them, i could just see it now, my mum would cry, and say its all her fault for letting me go to uni, and mixing with the wrong crowd, and would proceed to curse, and say how i've become too westernized, and i should be like other peoples daughters, i should obey her because she squeezed me out of her jay-jay. This would lead to emotional blackmail. If you think it would stop there, you are mistaken. After the blackmail, she would be on the phone to my brothers shouting that they set a bad example by openly dating non-muslims, and during all this, my dad would be chain smoking, while staring blankly, then suddenly i would get the cold, dealthy stare :|
Followed by a one way ticket to pakistan. [Because that's like rehab].

^ You may think i'm exaggerating, but believe me i am being honest. With that said, if i ever found someone i loved, and my family didnt approve, id either find a way around it, or go do my own thing :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending