The Student Room Group

What's the point?

Recently I have been thinking about life. And the conclusion I have arrived at is what's the point?

To start with i'm about to finish 6th form and recently i've been thinking about not going to university because I have lost interest in education. But what then? Taking into account the low chance you have of actually having a job you enjoy I would say many many people end up taking some minimum wage job that they can't stand in order to pay the bills. Week after week and year after year. But what's the point of living life if that is what it consists of?

Where is the joy in life exactly? All you are left with is a few precious hours a day to maybe do something you enjoy but chances are you will be too tired after your hard days toil. And outside of my life all I see is the same whiny crap on the news, the same mistakes are made everytime and generally everything is depressing.

At the moment all I have managed to discover about the "joys of life" is you work for the majority of it where chances are you will not enjoy your job. You buy a house, spend the majority of your time paying the mortgage and your bills, maybe have kids and then you retire and die. Now can someone tell me, what's the point in that? Where is the reward of life?

Scroll to see replies

According to different religious texts

Life:

Hinduism - life is a test of reincarnation
Islam - life is Allah's test of worthiness
Buddhism - life is a test to seek enlightenment
Christianity - life is a test for entry to heaven

So in summary "life is a test"...great as if A levels weren't enough!!! :frown:
Reply 2
You're so painfully right.

In essence, life is what you make it. Though success doesn't always make people happy. Most people will spend the majority of their lives working a job they hate and resenting themselves for wasting their lives. So why do we bother? I guess it's because we like to feel like we've achieved something, for personal satisfaction.

Basically, with the precious time you do get to spend how you like - enjoy it to the ****ing max. You only get one shot at this *******s and you should fill that with as many good things as you can. Don't let people tell you otherwise - life is for living and you should do that however you want.

"If I could take it all back now I wouldn't, I would have done more **** people said that I shouldn't."

And so on.
An Hero.

Seriously, man up and do it.

More fun to go around for the rest of us.

Alternatively, work hard, go to uni, have fun, have sex, make friends, make love, travel, get a good job, have more fun, have a lot more sex, go on cool holidays, make more friends, more love, get married, have fun, have kids, enjoy parenthood, more holiday, more sex, more friends, retire, travel more, see your family, see the world, hopefully still have sex. Still love. Relax and think what an awesome life you have had.
This is theory of how religion began, people didn't know why they were here so they created the idea that their purpose was to worship a deity.

Personally, the point of my life is to have fun, nothing else. If it means working a bit for it I will but I'm not looking to become a big CEO for 20 years just have enough money to do fun things (skiing, skydiving etc)
Original post by HistoryRepeating

Alternatively, work hard, go to uni, have fun, have sex, make friends, make love, travel, get a good job, have more fun, have a lot more sex, go on cool holidays, make more friends, more love, get married, have fun, have kids, enjoy parenthood, more holiday, more sex, more friends, retire, travel more, see your family, see the world, hopefully still have sex. Still love. Relax and think what an awesome life you have had.

You seem to have said there is sex after marriage, you are horribly mistaken. :biggrin:
I agree

Now do something crazy and impulsive for the lulz; nothing matters
Reply 7
Original post by DiZZeeKiD

"If I could take it all back now I wouldn't, I would have done more **** people said that I shouldn't."

And so on.

I thought that sounded very eminen-like and what do you know...
Reply 8
Go get laid.
Reply 9
You're so painfully right.

In essence, life is what you make it. Though success doesn't always make people happy. Most people will spend the majority of their lives working a job they hate and resenting themselves for wasting their lives. So why do we bother? I guess it's because we like to feel like we've achieved something, for personal satisfaction.

Basically, with the precious time you do get to spend how you like - enjoy it to the ****ing max. You only get one shot at this *******s and you should fill that with as many good things as you can. Don't let people tell you otherwise - life is for living and you should do that however you want.

And so on.

This.
Original post by Reflexive
I thought that sounded very eminen-like and what do you know...

Yeah. Thas how I roll :wink: lols.
Yeah. Thas how I roll :wink: lols.

I was such a cool and pissed off teenager listening to eminem in my bedroom growing up :cool:
I was such a cool and pissed off teenager listening to eminem in my bedroom growing up :cool:

Weren't we all? That said, at the time, I was the most original person on earth :cool:
I'm the perfect example of breaking free from the boring, standard, easy path. I left education after finishing college, had no interest in uni. I went to Tesco from the age of 17 and remained there full time until I was 21. After experiencing how tedious and uninspiring it was to do such a thing, and speaking to people who had been doing what I was doing for 20 or 30 years, I decided I needed to get out and fast.

Luckily I'd always done computer jobs for people on the side, so I had a decent background in the field. I cut my Tesco hours down to 1 day a week, and became the manager of an internet cafe/computer repair shop and haven't looked back. I took a punt and I was lucky enough to have it pay off for me, but like many have said already, lifes about what you make of it. It's about not being afraid to take a chance. It's easy while you're young, you have the freedom to take such chances as there's usually parents or good friends who will pick you up and help you out should it all go wrong.

Now I have the money and the freedom to go on random holidays pretty much whenever I feel like it which is awesome. I've been to Florida 5 times since then to see a friend who moved there, done skydiving whilst there, jumped on a cruise ship in Miami and gone all round the Bahamas etc, life doesn't have to be boring. Just gotta have some balls and don't be scared of it!

I think the way forward is to make a job for yourself rather than try to fill one, particularly if you've decided against uni. Good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Weren't we all? That said, at the time, I was the most original person on earth :cool:

Speaking of MK, I went to see him at the MK bowl years ago. There were about 50,000 of us all being original together :biggrin:
Speaking of MK, I went to see him at the MK bowl years ago. There were about 50,000 of us all being original together :biggrin:

Ha! Ah yes, my brother went to that. MK is a delightful place, is it not? :rolleyes:
Ha! Ah yes, my brother went to that. MK is a delightful place, is it not? :rolleyes:

ha well I'm from northampton so I've been MK a bit. It's basically like northampton but bigger, with less of its character. But northampton's character is dire - so that's probably a good thing. The whole area is culturally dead, hate it. Still, you have an ice skating rink though, so it's not all bad!
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
Recently I have been thinking about life. And the conclusion I have arrived at is what's the point?

To start with i'm about to finish 6th form and recently i've been thinking about not going to university because I have lost interest in education. But what then? Taking into account the low chance you have of actually having a job you enjoy I would say many many people end up taking some minimum wage job that they can't stand in order to pay the bills. Week after week and year after year. But what's the point of living life if that is what it consists of?

Where is the joy in life exactly? All you are left with is a few precious hours a day to maybe do something you enjoy but chances are you will be too tired after your hard days toil. And outside of my life all I see is the same whiny crap on the news, the same mistakes are made everytime and generally everything is depressing.

At the moment all I have managed to discover about the "joys of life" is you work for the majority of it where chances are you will not enjoy your job. You buy a house, spend the majority of your time paying the mortgage and your bills, maybe have kids and then you retire and die. Now can someone tell me, what's the point in that? Where is the reward of life?

LIFE=EFIL=EVIL so LIFE=EVIL :smile:

There is no point in life, death is better so if you don't like life choose death. You won't regret it.

Have a nice day

:smile:
Original post by ohm
LIFE=EFIL=EVIL so LIFE=EVIL :smile:

There is no point in life, death is better so if you don't like life choose death. You won't regret it.

Have a nice day

:smile:

There's a much better version of that. LIVE backwards is EVIL. i.e. if you're not putting yourself out there, and are lazy and undisciplined it is EVIL. cheesy isn't it! But has a point I guess.
It all depends on what you do with your life.
Go into a career that interests you, even slightly.
Do things in the evenings (spend time with friends, do a sport, whatever).
Do things on the weekends (go out and get pissed, watch football, etc etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending