The Student Room Group

How do I describe a place I do not like?

i'm sitting AQA GCSE higher english and i'm doing some practice past papers but i don't understand how you would write the answer to the following question:

Describe a place you do not like

so ya i got to add the 6th senses but how do i word it

HELP PLEASE
Reply 1
you slag it off bigtime...using the senses. Its just the opposite of what you normally do :smile: how bad it smells, how gross it looks, how noisy it is etc. Just exaggerate horribly how crap this place is. It helps to think of a place you genuinely don't liike for whatever reason then just exaggerate it from there, what used to work for me anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
a castle infested by ghosts and charged negatively by thick black crows?
Reply 3
Pejoratively.

(Hope this helps.)
A place you do not like is a... ****hole!

Oh, sorry, GCSE you say? My apologies. I suggest you use figurative language in the description of the physical place, and follow it by describing the feelings the place gives e.g. shivers down your spine, sinus-attacking scents, mind-invading darkness, feeling like the only person in the universe, etc. Maybe finish off by revealing the place, and make it unexpected e.g. "That is how I always felt in the barn/mall/parents' room/etc.".

Make it interesting is my advice, examiners are tired of safely written boring texts.
how would i start off.....help?!?!?!?
Original post by pleasehelpme...

"As I stepped down on the creaking stairs, I had a gut instinct that I shouldn't have visited the place one last time. Yet despite the fungal odours floating by the windows, there was a kind of a ....."
Original post by Flying Cookie
"As I stepped down on the creaking stairs, I had a gut instinct that I shouldn't have visited the place one last time. Yet despite the fungal odours floating by the windows, there was a kind of a ....."

but i thought you couldn't make it into a story?? have you done your gcses
but i thought you couldn't make it into a story?? have you done your gcses

It's not a story, it's a description. It's like the exposition of a story on its own. Of course I've done my GCSEs!
Reply 9

Why not just keep it simple?
'I hate Milton Keynes / St James's Park / my local supermarket / northern Bulgaria / record shops / wide open spaces / the school toilets / all of Western Europe'.
And then say why.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending