The Student Room Group

Terrified of ageing

I'm 17 and I'm terrified of getting older. I don't want to hit 19 or anything above that. When I think about it I cry and get upset. I want to be a teenager forever and I fantasise about it all the time. I've had panic attacks when thinking about getting older and I don't know what to do. I'm jealous of younger people now, and when I'm say 19 I'll be jealous of those 17-18 and when I'm like 26 I don't know what I'll do; I'll be so upset and angry and jealous that I'm not a teenager forever. This fear is eating my life and I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds like you're suffering from some powerful anxiety. I'd go see your GP and get a counsellor.
Reply 2
Well then instead of feeling sorry for yourself make the most of your life.
Reply 3
Original post by Blueflare
Well then instead of feeling sorry for yourself make the most of your life.

Is that .gif fake? Looks like she's copying Keyra.
Reply 4
Everyone ages, noone wants to. This is nothing you can help, so just think that everyone around you now, your age who you have fun with and do 'teenage things' with will age too, they won't be teenagers forever.
The people you will look back on will also age, and will have the exact amount of time being a teenager that you did. Don't worry, everyone is in the same boat, you're not leaving anyone or anything behind be ageing!
Cheer up! :smile:
You only want to be a teenager forever because you don't know any better. It'll be fine until you hit 35, that's the right time to be having these issues.
Reply 6
Out of curiosity, are you scared of old people too?
Reply 7
I would hate to be a teenager again, I'm a happier person now in my twenties. A lot of people actually find they get happier the older they get.

But you really should talk to your doctor about this, it really isnt normal that you feel this way. You're going to get older, there is nothing you can do about it.
Reply 8
Original post by Teravolt
I'm 17 and I'm terrified of getting older. I don't want to hit 19 or anything above that. When I think about it I cry and get upset. I want to be a teenager forever and I fantasise about it all the time. I've had panic attacks when thinking about getting older and I don't know what to do. I'm jealous of younger people now, and when I'm say 19 I'll be jealous of those 17-18 and when I'm like 26 I don't know what I'll do; I'll be so upset and angry and jealous that I'm not a teenager forever. This fear is eating my life and I don't know what to do.

Your fantasy is ridiculous and unobtainable, but you know that already. The best thing to do is make a list of everything you like about being a teenager. Then go through the list, identifying which of those things are NOT going to end. I bet you will find that every single thing about being a teenager - with the exception of school and attending under-18 clubnights - is still going to be possible. Some of the things might get harder, like staying in touch with school friends for instance, but that just means you need a strategy for working at them.

Then make a list of everything that's worrying you about aging. Seriously, it sounds dumb but actually writing this stuff down can have a calming influence because it forces you to assess the reality of the situation. Again, go through the list and see what can be prevented, as well as identifying what will make the inevitable problems easier (eg if you're worried about adult responsibilities, bills etc, you can start practicing things and doing research now to make the transition easier). Once again, I think you'll find that the reality is a lot better than you think.

You need to face towards the future rather than clinging to your past because there is so much ahead of you. Being a teenager is very, very unlikely to be the best time of your life.
Reply 9
Thanks, I'm 20 and this thread makes me feel OLD
Reply 10
Just cause yer gonna get older in body, does not imply that you need to get older in mind!!
Your 17, you still have a lot of growing up and maturity to experience.

So go do yourself a favour, go out and about the place, and have a look at PEOPLE!!!, especially the folks that are in their 20's and watch how they talk around their mates!!! Just like they did when they were in their teens! Funny that.

As for being anxious... Please!!! Just get a grip of yerself, there are many out there that just get on with their life as best they can with the ickle wee threat of possibly succumbing to cancer ( From Twitter: A brave five-year-old battling brain tumour. Keep fighting, Jack. #jackmarshallrules http://www.jacksfund.co.uk/ )

But instead of my being a pious and pompous prat, which I can not be, I will let you in on a wee secret.

Spoiler

Original post by StephenP91
Is that .gif fake? Looks like she's copying Keyra.

I don't know and I don't know who Keyra is.
It's just a funny gif.
Original post by posietoes
Thanks, I'm 20 and this thread makes me feel OLD

I'm 27, how do you think I feel? lol

To the OP, yes, getting older isn't much fun, but it's an inevitable fact of life. Look on the bright side, being 17 isn't all that either, you're underage for a lot of things. Being 19, on the other hand, the age that you said you're afraid of reaching, is a whole lot better than being 17, because you're legally an adult, and are able to actually take charge of your life.

Being 27 on the other hand...that's a tad more of a kick in the face, but I look on the bright side, I'm not 30 yet lol (and when I'm 30, well at least I won't be 40 yet :tongue: and so on and so forth. Look at it with a half full glass, rather than a half empty one!)
no one really notices themselves aging.. it just kind of happens. there's nothing you can do so you need to learn to just accept it, and anyway.. age is just a number in most cases
Inevitable fact of life. I'd go and see your doctor/a councillor about this though, because you won't get professional help from an internet forum. It's not a rare thing at all. Good luck *hug*
Reply 15
Original post by Blueflare
I don't know and I don't know who Keyra is.
It's just a funny gif.

Sorry to annoy you both, it is a fake, its a hubby and wife team who make viral stuff for the net. Meant to be a young schoolie doing a show for her lad and the daddy walks in!! Info from Rude Tube when it was on the telly.

PS: Yer, its a funny one though, so all good :smile:
Reply 16
The awkward moment when a 19 year old looks this thread....
:frown:
OMG 19???!!! That's so ancient, you should be applying for your bus pass now!!!

Seriously OP, life just gets better after 18. You're legal to do everything (well legal things that is)
Original post by *Dreaming*
OMG 19???!!! That's so ancient, you should be applying for your bus pass now!!!

Seriously OP, life just gets better after 18. You're legal to do everything (well legal things that is)

I thought IT's legal at 16?
Man the **** up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending