The Student Room Group

If I don't go to uni, do I still have as many chances of finding a guy to date?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlueJoker
Please do not listen to people on here. A degree is not the be all and end all, plenty of people do well without degrees. My dad runs his own business selling seafood, with no degree, and my mum's friend runs her own very successful PR company in London - with no qualifications at all, not even GCSEs.

As long as you re being productive with your time - voctional courses, TEFL courses, work experience/volounteering, internships, low jobs with the potential for promotion or training, you'll be fine. You just need to remember that confidence, people skills and common sense are often just as valuable, in some cases more, than a degree.

Academia is not for everyone, but it doesn't mean you're not smart or you can't succeed. I could tell you dozens of stories about people who did not go to uni and live very comfortably.

Agreed, why can't people stop saying that uni is the best/only option? It's not for everyone. We are in a recession, however, how can someone stand out without a degree now? I do really want to go to uni and study Politics but I'm curious.
Original post by Dee Leigh
Agreed, why can't people stop saying that uni is the best/only option? It's not for everyone. We are in a recession, however, how can someone stand out without a degree now? I do really want to go to uni and study Politics but I'm curious.

Having a degree does not make you stand out at all, in my opinion. It gives you a head start, sure, and it is truly an amazing experience which is really good for your intellect, social skills and employability. But ultimately the ones who stand out are the ones with natural ability and have good people skills. You can get plenty of good work experience without a degree, and ultimately employers don't *always* care if you've got a piece of paper or not.

Unless you're doing something like law, of course :tongue:
Having a degree does not make you stand out at all, in my opinion. It gives you a head start, sure, and it is truly an amazing experience which is really good for your intellect, social skills and employability. But ultimately the ones who stand out are the ones with natural ability and have good people skills. You can get plenty of good work experience without a degree, and ultimately employers don't *always* care if you've got a piece of paper or not.

Unless you're doing something like law, of course :tongue:

Ok that's fine, feeling a bit reassured and I can understand the OPs point.
Reply 43
Original post by meenu89
There are always arranged marriages....

Not an option for all of us unfortunately.
Ok that's fine, feeling a bit reassured and I can understand the OPs point.

It is just my opinion though :smile:
It is just my opinion though :smile:

Yeah but at least like me you're not falling for the "university is the best/only option" view.
Yeah but at least like me you're not falling for the "university is the best/only option" view.

It all depends on your type of person. For some, it really is the best option, or the only option if you're planning to be a doctor or something. But there's no point going if you know you won't enjoy the studying and it's not required for what you want your future to be. I can't wait to go to uni, I'd be devestated if I couldn't, but it's really not for everyone, and there are so many other options.
Reply 47
It all depends on your type of person. For some, it really is the best option, or the only option if you're planning to be a doctor or something. But there's no point going if you know you won't enjoy the studying and it's not required for what you want your future to be. I can't wait to go to uni, I'd be devestated if I couldn't, but it's really not for everyone, and there are so many other options.

I did want to go uni originally, but I've come to realise that all that structured studying I don't seem to be too good at, as I prefer learning things by myself in other ways. Shame I have to miss out on some of that special uni social life, but it isn't really worth it in the end if the studying alone isn't my cup of tea. I still really want to be a success and get a man in the process :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending