The Student Room Group

Mother has no respect for my privacy!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Your mother is an absolute madman, get out of there ASAP
Wow, she's loco. How do people like that make it to childbearing age?

I think the letter writing idea is a good one - you can calmly and articulately explain how you feel. In the meantime, swap the contents of the box over for something sentimental but innocent. Chances are that she assumes you have something illegal or immoral in there, and if it is her house then she has a right to object to illegal/immoral stuff being brought into it. she wouldn't even be worried right now if she wasn't so nosey, though.

She's definitely being a total psycho about it, though.
Reply 22
Exchange the contents of the box for a note saying she should be ashamed of herself for invading your privacy.

Whilst you may not be there for the opening of the box, I'm sure imagining the look on her face would be fun.
Original post by Peachykeen09
is she spanish?

my mom's the exact way. spanish women are crazy

Your logic beats me.
Reply 24
rig something up so that when she opens the box it will spray pepper spray in her eyes

that will teach her
i also think you should in some way directly ask the question "why don't you feel you can trust me?"
Reply 26
Original post by Accalia
Exchange the contents of the box for a note saying she should be ashamed of herself for invading your privacy.

Whilst you may not be there for the opening of the box, I'm sure imagining the look on her face would be fun.

You should totally do this, and 'hide' the key somewhere that she is bound to find it.

Seriously though, what's in the box :confused:
Reply 27
My dad opened my amazon package and stole a clockwork orange because he didn't feel it was "proper literature." Still read it though :biggrin:
Reply 28
Put a single key inside the box, say one for a padlock you'll never use. If things go to plan, she'll sneak in, open your box, make a copy of the key and then go nuts trying to find its lock. Maybe put some co-ordinates for the other side of the country, and some gibberish codeword, just to tempt her. When she suggests a family holiday there, you'll know you got her :wink:

Hmm, having said that, my mum's a bit nosy too, I think I'll try that myself :colone:
Reply 29
Original post by hmon93
My dad opened my amazon package and stole a clockwork orange because he didn't feel it was "proper literature." Still read it though :biggrin:

oh my god! how old are you??
Reply 30
Original post by senator88
I am so angry, my mum just went through my things in my bedroom 'looking for the remote' and came across my padlocked box (hidden at the very back of one of my drawers) to which I keep private things. I was in the shower she then banged on the door demanding to know what was in there and rattling it about. I am seriously at my wits end. But the annoying thing is that SHE is the one angry at ME cos she thinks i'm hiding something! I'm eighteen!! I'm moving out in September but have no where to go until then. I have tried sitting down with her and talking about it but she's the one who gets angry at me saying I'm hiding stuff. She opens my mail and reads my texts. The reason I bought the padlocked box in the first place was so she wouldn't be able to go through my things but I guess this has not worked. I'm so worked up right now, and I know for a fact as soon as i'm off to college tomorrow she will somehow manage to break into the padlocked box cause that is what she's like. When I was a bit younger she went through my phone and found some messages to an ex that were slightly 'naughty' and went mental at me, didn't talk to me for weeks even though she invaded my privacy, she doesn't even care about that. I could forgive her then however as I wasn't legally an adult but now i'm nearly nineteen I am so angry, I can't stop shaking.

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

:frown: I completely understand. My mum does not understand the concept of privacy, at all. In fact it was always my dad who was making sure she wasn't going through my things and now he's moved out. My mum has opened letters, gone through my phone, (that was the thing I was most angry about) found my pill (even when it was in a pocket of a pocket in my schoolbag) so yeah, I didn't know what to do myself.

The only thing to do is just try and not keep anything massively embarrassing or private in your room. And take things out with you, because any time your out of the house is prime time for her to go snooping, and you don't want to be out feeling worried about what she might find. Also you need to talk to her, explain exactly how you feel w/o getting angry, just say you wouldn't ever dare do the same to her, and that your things are yours and if you put them away in your room you don't expect her to look around. If your mum's anything like mine, she won't get the message straight away so I suggest you take anything important out with you.
I reckon it's your turn to snoop around in her room and pester her about something private and trivial. :smile:
Reply 32
If not troll. Solution:

go to kitchen

get oregano

get plastic bag

fill bag with oregano

put bag in box

let her open box

laugh at her stupid reaction

hopefully she will call the police to "teach you a lesson" or something stupid and you can laugh at her.

Also, go into her room and "look" through everything, turn out all the draws and make the place a complete mess. Then just repeat some of the crap justifications she gave you.

+ just wait till uni and be happy when u can have your vibrators on your bedside table
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Its her vibrator. Sheesh.
Reply 34
Reply 35
Totally subscribing in the case that the contents of the box is revealed :biggrin:

But seriously OP id do what numerous other peope have said, either take the box to college with you, or empty the contents and take them with you and put a 'surprise mum' list in there so she feels guilty for looking, i dunno shes probably more worried about drugs etc. but still she's gonna keep going on until she finds out, so id write her a letter as well like other said, your 18 years ol and an adult, it is illegal for her to read your post, and she could pull out the 'my house my rules' card, but just smile sweetly and nod, and then search her room for something, because considering her rules in her house state its okay to be nosey, she cant moan at you for looking :biggrin:

(i realise there are a lot of commas in that, and very little full stops, but i recommend you do pause to read or you might die of lack of oxygen :smile: )
Reply 36
Original post by Hanvyj
If not troll. Solution:

go to kitchen

get oregano

get plastic bag

fill bag with oregano

put bag in box

let her open box

laugh at her stupid reaction

hopefully she will call the police to "teach you a lesson" or something stupid and you can laugh at her.

Also, go into her room and "look" through everything, turn out all the draws and make the place a complete mess. Then just repeat some of the crap justifications she gave you.

+ just wait till uni and be happy when u can have your vibrators on your bedside table

DOn't forget the bags of flour and a single razor blade :biggrin:
Glue jewels to the bottom of the box in the form of the letters "GTFO". Remove everything else and hide them elsewhere. Then cover your ears and prepare to be quizzed about the meaning of the abbreviation "GTFO".
Ever had a pet? Preferably one your mother loved dearly... Go dig it up from the garden and put it in the box. If she switches just say you couldn't bear to let go and QQ :biggrin:
Reply 39
Why do some parents feel its ok to snoop in their childrens things?.Ok the OP is 18 and therefore an adult which makes things even worse!.I have chidlren of my own, a little younger than the OP and I dont snoop in their business.Hey OP why not try going through your mums things and see how she likes it?.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending