The Student Room Group

Losing my British accent - Need suggestions to rectify

Having lived in the US for the last 5 years, I thought my accent hadn't changed too much. Unfortunately, a British friend recently pointed out that my accent has dulled significantly and I know have a very american mix.

This is unacceptable. I have tried watching every Hugh Grant movie (including 2 weeks notice - fail) to no avail. I come to you TSRians in need of suggestions.

Scroll to see replies

haha. :biggrin: I've picked up a bit of a US-UK mix as well, it's weird as ****.

Watch BBC news broadcasts?
what type of british accent did you have originally?

theres more than one british accent...
Easy, just get a plum lodged in your throat.
Original post by Lord_Farquad
Having lived in the US for the last 5 years, I thought my accent hadn't changed too much. Unfortunately, a British friend recently pointed out that my accent has dulled significantly and I know have a very american mix.

This is unacceptable. I have tried watching every Hugh Grant movie (including 2 weeks notice - fail) to no avail. I come to you TSRians in need of suggestions.

Ha, same here. I think I sound the same, but when I hear a recording of myself I am far more americanized than a realize! I should probably rectify that.
Reply 5
talk to your fam loads.
Watch a Guy Ritchie or Simon Pegg movie...their accents sounds cool to me as a non Brit :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by basketofsnakes
what type of british accent did you have originally?

theres more than one british accent...

Classic public schoolboy mixed with a Hugh Grant accent. I've tried listening to Radio 4 online but it's just not as RP as it used to be.
Reply 8
SAME HERE, I moved to the US when I was 10, now I'm 17. I've lost almost all traces of it :frown:
Reply 9
Come back to the UK for the next 5 years. :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by noodlecup93
SAME HERE, I moved to the US when I was 10, now I'm 17. I've lost almost all traces of it :frown:

Out of interest, you still consider yourself English? Or do you feel more American now?
A British accent does not exist. Jus sayin'
(edited 13 years ago)
The fact you can still use words like "rectify" proves that you are still British. Unfortunatly this can happen to the best of us; several years in NZ and mine is starting to slip...
The American accent is much better. Stick with it.
Reply 14
Who gives a ****.
Original post by Cicerao
Out of interest, you still consider yourself English? Or do you feel more American now?

ENGLISH FOR LIFE. I still fly the Jack out of my window and still inform American's that we used to own their asses.
I take it by 'British' you mean English?
Reply 17
Sack the whole english accent and go for a scottish accent.
Reply 18
The Anglo-American accent isn't ugly; it doesn't deserve the sort of effort you're putting into eradicating it. I know a few people who lived in America during childhood. They completely picked up the accent, and lost all traces of it upon returning home. So don't put any undue effort into it. Unless you're Welsh. The Welsh-American hybrid is the most jarring accent I've ever heard.

I still fly the Jack out of my window and still inform American's that we used to own their asses.

Do many of them remind you that American presidents have effectively administered British foreign policy since 1945?
Reply 19
"How now brown cow" repeat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending