The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i really don't get this exam thing. do some medical schools have complete assessment by multiple guess?
Original post by Kinkerz
You guys at King's don't have any written questions?

Nope! Although I've had SAQs and essay questions in an SSC and we've had a couple of timed in-course assessment essays (worth ~1-2% of the year mind).
Original post by John Locke
i really don't get this exam thing. do some medical schools have complete assessment by multiple guess?

Pretty much! They can be a complete pain in the arse mind - it means they end up asking some very specific (seemingly irrelevant) questions.
Reply 3043
I *think* MCQs can in some instances, include multiple 'correct' answers while SBAs, as the name suggests, have only one correct answer. This is my understanding based on a couple of question-books I've seen. Until recently though, I thought MCQ ? SBA.
Original post by Tyraell
The fact that the oars don't line up with the handles in your signature is really annoying me. Just sayin...

http://www.myfacewhen.com/2/

graphic designer needs stern words! Although life does go on haha
Original post by Tyraell
Touche. Seems I misread my own post. If we REALLY want to be precise I suppose I should have said the two parts of the loom (or arguably the loom and the handle) don't line up (which I'm still not convinced they do).

oh wow.. I didn't realise this would descend into this :|

apologise on behalf of BLBC guys damn
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Yeah they do. Optical illusion. If you take a piece of paper and make a line between the two they match perfectly.......

had hope here, but using your method they do seem misaligned :/
Original post by sophyy
GKT hockey :P
Hows your year going then?

Why are all your posts so early in the morning?

And nice! :smile: yeah it's flown by, been awesome, only got exams left really, next month.. Yourself?
It has been a while, why the sudden reappearance? Nearing exam time as well haha
General difference between SBA is - MCQ is generally True/False (Although I also had to do an extended matching questions type one too). SBA will have a choice of 4/5 answers and one is right.

SO basically I guess an MCQ with more answers lol.
Original post by Philosoraptor
1)yes
2)since this year compulsorily at 3rd year (i'm in the last group of people who've intercalated in their 4th year)
3) yes but this is going to change ( a bit)

So if somebody joined in 3rd year they would intercalate? The whole of 3rd year is for the iBSc?
Passed my midsemester exam, hell yeah!

Passed 25%, now 75% to go.
Original post by No Future
So if somebody joined in 3rd year they would intercalate? The whole of 3rd year is for the iBSc?

Er no and yes respectively.

Noone will join 3rd year (no externals). Transfers (i.e. oxbridge - join 4th out of 6 year - first year clinics)

hahaha great minds... :tongue:

The way I understand it MCQ there's only one right answer. For SBA it stands for single best answer, so any of the options could be right (and are perhaps right to some degree) but you're looking for the single best answer, i.e. the one that is most right.

But anybody correct me if I'm wrong :smile:

And we have a 3 hour SAQ paper, and a 3 hour MCQ/EMQ/SBA paper for each year :yep:

Original post by JordanCarroll
had hope here, but using your method they do seem misaligned :/

Not to me they don't :s-smilie:
Er no and yes respectively.

Noone will join 3rd year (no externals). Transfers (i.e. oxbridge - join 4th out of 6 year - first year clinics)

I can imagine the drop in numbers if we had to intercalate here and then AGAIN on transfer (although only ~four applied to UCL first choice from Oxford this year anyhoo!).

On the topic, I'll be starting clinics there this coming September. Do most people tend to live out or in UCL accommodation?

Original post by JordanCarroll
oh wow.. I didn't realise this would descend into this :|

apologise on behalf of BLBC guys damn

I don't know what you're talking about. That was awesome chat...
Original post by Tyraell
I can imagine the drop in numbers if we had to intercalate here and then AGAIN on transfer (although only ~four applied to UCL first choice from Oxford this year anyhoo!).

On the topic, I'll be starting clinics there this coming September. Do most people tend to live out or in UCL accommodation?

Er they'd never make anyone reintercalate - ever... It was a silly suggestion lol.

Oh really? We're quite popular with cam at least. Tbh if I were coming from Oxbridge I'd want to go to either UCL or Imperial for clinics I'd reckon...

Um I think most transfers sort out private accommodation (UCL accom like pretty much any unis bar Oxbridge is generally populated by first years)
whats the difference between an SBA and MCQ?

I believe MCQs are a generic term that includes EMQs, SBAs and T/F whereas SBAs are the best of 5 questions we normally consider MCQs.

I'm finding this out the hard way when using 'MCQ' books from the library that contain nothing but T/F questions - my finals don't have any true/false components!
Tbh if I were coming from Oxbridge I'd want to go to either UCL or Imperial for clinics I'd reckon...

Kings is also quite popular I believe.

Of course no-one wants to go to Barts or Georges if they can help it ... :colone:
Reply 3057

Oh really? We're quite popular with cam at least. Tbh if I were coming from Oxbridge I'd want to go to either UCL or Imperial for clinics I'd reckon...

Popularity in my year was something like:

RF&UCLH (people only put it first choice rather than as a backup) > GKT (some 1sts & also veeery popular as 2nd choice) > Imperial (much less popular than you might expect after their Open Day! :wink: but in the right part of London for some people) > Barts/George's.

Pre nights... over the bank holiday weekend. :facepalm:
Original post by Captain Crash
Kings is also quite popular I believe.

Of course no-one wants to go to Barts or Georges if they can help it ... :colone:

I think Kings is more popular as a second choice (you have pretty much 0 chance of getting in to Oxford, UCL or Imperial on second choice, Kings are generally less snobby about it all). I suspect a lot of the people who didn't get in to Oxford as first choice - since the four for UCL were the sum total of those who put London as first choice! - have ended up at King's.

I applied to George's for pre-clin. I would've been happy to go there. :frown:
Original post by Tyraell
I think Kings is more popular as a second choice (you have pretty much 0 chance of getting in to Oxford, UCL or Imperial on second choice, Kings are generally less snobby about it all). I suspect a lot of the people who didn't get in to Oxford as first choice - since the four for UCL were the sum total of those who put London as first choice - have ended up at King's.

I applied to George's for pre-clin. I would've been happy to go there. :frown:

Really? In my year, more people put Kings as their first choice than Imperial - Imperial had 1 first choice applicant for every 2 transfer places, whilst Kings was almost 1 to 1.

I'm sure most medical students would be happy to go to Barts or Georges, but inevitably, it seems, they occur the last two London choices of every Oxbridge transfer preferences.

Latest

Trending

Trending