The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ultimate Southampton University Accommodation Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agelosLX
No idea why I got rejected..I'm gonna call them tommorow and see if I can find out. Tbh I was shocked when I read their e-mail. I have a conditional offer for the MSc International Banking and Financial Studies.

Funny thing is that my status is "submitted" as well.. I must have done sth wrong with my application. Maybe cause I wrote down only 3 preferences and they were all ensuite rooms....
I read somewhere in their website that you need to submit different types of rooms, not just self-catered/ensuite....no idea.
It's too harsh I think to reject me if you take into account that I am a postgraduate!

Unfortunately postgraduates aren't guaranteed Halls accommodation, and with the fact that Chamberlain is no longer in use (takes away about 150 rooms), they have to make sure all the Freshers are offered rooms first.

Still, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ring them and beg. :yy:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 21
No idea why I got rejected..I'm gonna call them tommorow and see if I can find out. Tbh I was shocked when I read their e-mail. I have a conditional offer for the MSc International Banking and Financial Studies.

Funny thing is that my status is "submitted" as well.. I must have done sth wrong with my application. Maybe cause I wrote down only 3 preferences and they were all ensuite rooms....
I read somewhere in their website that you need to submit different types of rooms, not just self-catered/ensuite....no idea.
It's too harsh I think to reject me if you take into account that I am a postgraduate!

You probably did something wrong in your application, because as I understand, all conditional offer's students should receive an answer in Aug/Sept. If for year 10/11 there are no available ensuite rooms, why they appear in the rooms options?

Are you an international/EU student?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
@byraul: I'm a EU student from Greece.

Yes I am starting to think that I did something terribly wrong....and I think I found what it is. In my online application, the student type field says 2 E which means current postgraduate. I'm not current postgraduate ofcourse..I have a conditional offer for 2011/2012. I must have mistyped there.

I just called the accomodation service and I reported that mistake and they said they will inform the headmaster or whatever and let me know if I can make a new application done properly this time.
But it's strange that they didn't check my Student ID in order to see that I'm not a current postgrad and I have a conditional offer..
Any other suggestions?? Should I call the School of Management and report the problem or it's a waste of time?
Reply 23
@byraul: I'm a EU student from Greece.

Yes I am starting to think that I did something terribly wrong....and I think I found what it is. In my online application, the student type field says 2 E which means current postgraduate. I'm not current postgraduate ofcourse..I have a conditional offer for 2011/2012. I must have mistyped there.

I just called the accomodation service and I reported that mistake and they said they will inform the headmaster or whatever and let me know if I can make a new application done properly this time.
But it's strange that they didn't check my Student ID in order to see that I'm not a current postgrad and I have a conditional offer..
Any other suggestions?? Should I call the School of Management and report the problem or it's a waste of time?

Wait for the answer from accomodation service. If it's not a positive one, try to contact your school or admissions office. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 24
Ok I just got their reply email and they erased my application so I can make a new one! Thank god!

Now any suggestions for the application? What have u guys put in the accomodation types, etc? I am interested in ensuite rooms but from what I've seen from the uni website they want applicants to differ the room type between their 5 choices.
Reply 25

Dude I am going to the same MSc as you!! I applied 5 days ago for accomodation hopefully i'll get a place.
Reply 26
Original post by sadar
Dude I am going to the same MSc as you!! I applied 5 days ago for accomodation hopefully i'll get a place.

Ohh great mate! Hope to see you there:smile: Tell me sth, what did you choose in your application(type,area)?
Reply 27
Ohh great mate! Hope to see you there:smile: Tell me sth, what did you choose in your application(type,area)?

I choosed 2 ensuite (Glen Eyre and Wessex), then premium (Glen Eyre i think) n finally 2 enhanced (i think glen eyre and wessex). There weren'mt many options though :tongue:

But if u got rejeted I don't have many options to get a room XD btw ur Uk student or EU student, or an international one?
Reply 28
I am a EU student from Greece. If you read 3-4 posts above you will see that they cancelled my existing application because there has been a mistake with my student status and now I have to make a new one. Anyway, where are you from?
Reply 29
I've applied for Enhanced rooms at all 3 places (Wessex, Glen and other). Is internet in rooms free as I heard from some people that it's 1p per minute and some say it's free....also, is GYM free?
Original post by chaz1992
I've applied for Enhanced rooms at all 3 places (Wessex, Glen and other). Is internet in rooms free as I heard from some people that it's 1p per minute and some say it's free....also, is GYM free?

gym is £115 for the whole year....so about £3 per week....

internet is free....
Reply 31
Can you apply for a Short Contract for any halls? I think I'm going for Standard w/washbasin in Wessex Lane, so I think thats Monte 1?

Bit confused about whether I can apply for a Short or have to do Standard Contract length and still get the hall I want?...More than willing to move my stuff out for Easter and save 5 weeks pay though!
Highfield Hall (small halls)...always forgotten haha.

Anyway it has about 120 rooms between Aubrey and Wolfe House and a dining room (it's part-catered) and has a small bar. The rooms are arranged on corridors with about twenty people sharing kitchen/bathroom facilities. It's less than five minutes walk from Avenue Campus and about 10-15 from Highfield. I am not sure if it's only Highfield that has the short contract or if other halls do as well.
Reply 33
I just applied for mine,
Self Catered, Enhanced, Glen Eyre
Self Catered, Standard, Glen Eyre
Self Caters, Enhanced, Wessex Lane :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Davey-h7
I just applied for mine,
Self Catered, Enhanced, Glen Eyre
Self Catered, Standard, Glen Eyre
Self Caters, Enhanced, Wessex Lane :smile:

Exactly the same, with no preference for gender.

Hopefully get enhanced though, just for less people sharing bathrooms.
Reply 35
Can you get halls, catered and ensuite? It looks like you can't anymore? :frown:
Reply 36
I am a EU student from Greece. If you read 3-4 posts above you will see that they cancelled my existing application because there has been a mistake with my student status and now I have to make a new one. Anyway, where are you from?

Kalimera ; ) I'm also EU from Spain. Do u think they'll wait to send the accomodation offer till we meet the entrance conditions? Coz for me this could mean September and by then for sure then wont have any room to offer :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by SuperKurd
Exactly the same, with no preference for gender.

Hopefully get enhanced though, just for less people sharing bathrooms.

Yeah, I'd prefer enhanced just because I don't want to share a toilet with 20 people. Seems far too many :/
Reply 38
when I put in my preferences, I get "small halls/archers road" what does that include? I want to have Highfield Hall... O_O
I shouldn't be finding this confusing...
Original post by shygirl135
when I put in my preferences, I get "small halls/archers road" what does that include? I want to have Highfield Hall... O_O
I shouldn't be finding this confusing...

Highfield counts as small halls, as does Bencraft. They can't be specific, since they've got fewer rooms than the individual sections of Glen Eyre/Monte.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending