The Student Room Group

Anybody came close to or considered getting a cleaning job just to be in work?

Now having been unemployed since November and applying for countless of jobs and had no luck, I've been tempted/considered whether jokingly or seriously, a cleaning job!

I do wonder whether I'll be that desperate to get a job and active again that despite getting a degree (which is no sure fireway of landing a job) I'll be cleaning toilets and other unkindly areas of a building or maybe I'll be doing some hoovering which isn't too bad.

Anyways, for those people who've been out of work for a long time, has a cleaning job been one that you've considered?

Or are there jobs out there that you would have looked down upon but are now considering?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
even for cleaning you'll probably be rejected in favour of experienced cleaners tbh.
also, I would be wary of it wrecking your CV
I tried and failed to get a job cleaning last summer and the summer before I went to university but couldn't get anything. (Note, this was for full or part time summer work in between terms.) A job's a job these days and getting paid to clean toilets is better than not getting paid at all. Nothing to turn your nose up at.
It wouldn't be looked down upon on his cv. Shows he has the drive and determination to earn money.
Reply 4
Hey! Don't look down on cleaners at least they're working for their money and it's a bloody graft too! Exactly what teshla said.. Employers will appreciate that you've gone out and done something instead of sitting at home ****ing and watching Jeremy Kyle as is the custom with the unemployed.
And also, a cleaning job will (hopefully) give you a reference. Almost all job application forms I've seen require two references. One of my biggest problems in getting a first job was that I had no references and thus couldn't fill in the application forms. When I finally got a job it was through a friend's girlfriend's family, so no references were needed. But that was still only one reference.
Reply 6
Original post by Aky786UK
Now having been unemployed since November and applying for countless of jobs and had no luck, I've been tempted/considered whether jokingly or seriously, a cleaning job!

I do wonder whether I'll be that desperate to get a job and active again that despite getting a degree (which is no sure fireway of landing a job) I'll be cleaning toilets and other unkindly areas of a building or maybe I'll be doing some hoovering which isn't too bad.

Anyways, for those people who've been out of work for a long time, has a cleaning job been one that you've considered?

Or are there jobs out there that you would have looked down upon but are now considering?

Don't be so stuck up. There is nothing wrong with cleaning job's.
I have a friend whose main job is in a nursery, with six hours/week or so in a cleaning job for some spending money. He says he prefers the cleaning job and it's the only thing he looks forward to when he wakes up. :dontknow:
Reply 8
Erm, I have a cleaning job at my high school, two hours after school every weekday. Pays really well.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's not like you're making a choice for that to be your career.
Reply 9
Original post by mermania
even for cleaning you'll probably be rejected in favour of experienced cleaners tbh.
also, I would be wary of it wrecking your CV

How would it wreck their CV anymore than several months unemployment would?
Reply 10
Yes, but this was a while ago. Annoyingly a lot of them wanted experience. In the end, they were convenient because of the hours.
Reply 11
Original post by limetang
How would it wreck their CV anymore than several months unemployment would?

I think it's a matter of perspective. On one hand you can say it shows determination and a willingness to do anything to earn money, but on the other hand I always wonder if it plants a doubt in an employers mind, kind of like a "he has a degree but the best he could get is a cleaning job...why is that?" sort of thing.

I didn't say it would wreck his CV, just that it's something I would be wary of.

IMHO, volunteering in an area related to what you want to do is a better solution to gaps in your CV and gaining experience than doing an irrelevant, menial cleaning job. Though obviously that might not be feasible if you desperately need money.
Reply 12
I have made that choice, I am a self employed cleaner and, believe me, I earn more an hour than any poxy receptionist etc. I will not work for any less than £10 an hour and if its a good job you need doing then that is what you will get. If they want a half arsed job and pay a pittance then best they get someone else. I have just started at another companies offices where they have a very low opinion of cleaners but they have employed me at £12.50 an hour and it 2 weeks alone, the building looks a different place.

I had a cleaning job at a hospital for 2 years. It's was a decent wage, I got £540 a month for working 13.5 hours a week, and it gave me experience working within the NHS. Despite me having the grades to get into Nursing at university, I still solely believe that if I hadn't been a domestic at the hospital beforehand I would never have gotten in the course.
The job itself isn't so bad, and you can take up the job and still look for other work in the meantime :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP your attitude is so bad btw. Don't look down on somebody's employment - at least they have a job, unlike you.

I've been a cleaner before and it was quite enjoyable, met some of the nicest people and let's face it - it's not a pointless job at all.

It wouldn't wreck your cv, just have the attitude that it's something to get you by while you continue your search for a career job. Better than sitting on your ass all day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the sort of attitude that doesn't get you employment
Reply 16
I am so desperate to get any job. been applying for cleaning, you name it. as long as it pays the bills I don't care. cleaning is a worthy profession, without it, the planet would be extremely unhygienic.

I'm currently waiting for A level results and then university. I had a cleaning job a month ago for a temporary contract and I used it as a means of proving myself to the agency. They then offered me several next day jobs, and I'm now working full time on refuse :smile:
It's not good to look down on any job because 'work is work' and 'money is money' in the end of the day. There's no harm working as a cleaner in the short term as long as your looking to build a career also :smile:
I ain't that desperate.
Reply 19
Also.. I know a lady, who now manages a pub. She started in that very same pub... as a cleaner... then worker her way up to kitchen staff.. then bar... then upwards. if you really need the money, and can actually do it... the way I see it...... go for it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending