The Student Room Group

The end is in sight....but I seem to have lots to do still?!?!

Hey everyone hope you're all good. I am doing the access course and we now have about 8 weeks left woo!! Trouble is, we are meant to do about 80 credits altogether, and I only have about 40 odd. I know you only need to do 45, but I am getting a bit concerned now that we are running out of time basically lol. I need 12 more distinctions still :frown:
I am glad we have got into the "cooling down" period though, it's been an intense couple of months assignment wise. Really really glad I did the course though, met some great people and also feel like it has really helped me in other ways too. Going to be sad to leave but 3 months without any assignments makes me veeeery happy lol
Anyone else still seem to have a lot of work to do and not so much time to do it in?
Hey! Well done getting this far :biggrin:

You actually need 60 credits for an Access Diploma! (Unless you mean 45 level 3 credits plus 15 level 2 credits?)
Anyway, from what I hear, a lot of people seem to have a mad rush in the last few weeks - I'm so glad I'm doing it part time!

I'm also really glad I did the course full stop. I've also met some great people and had so much fun and I really feel it was great preparation for uni.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by alibobs
Hey everyone hope you're all good. I am doing the access course and we now have about 8 weeks left woo!! Trouble is, we are meant to do about 80 credits altogether, and I only have about 40 odd. I know you only need to do 45, but I am getting a bit concerned now that we are running out of time basically lol. I need 12 more distinctions still :frown:
I am glad we have got into the "cooling down" period though, it's been an intense couple of months assignment wise. Really really glad I did the course though, met some great people and also feel like it has really helped me in other ways too. Going to be sad to leave but 3 months without any assignments makes me veeeery happy lol
Anyone else still seem to have a lot of work to do and not so much time to do it in?

I know how you feel........... at my college we have to get all the work done by about mid June as that is when the external moderators/verifiers are coming in to check the work and grades given. So that gives us maybe 6 to 7 weeks to tidy everything up.....

We have yet to complete 16 level 3 credits (split over 4 modules and 5 assignments), and then we still have 4 English assignments to complete for the GCSE equivalence. (level 2). At this stage I actually only have 17 level 3 credits confirmed(subject to external moderation of course).

I could actually see some of those who are already behind with their work failing to complete in time....... which is a scary thought.

Luckily I am on top of all my work and I go back to college ready to complete whatever is thrown at me as quickly as possible.

So as you can see, there is no 'cooling off' period at my college......I'm looking forward to the 3 month break at the end!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jeffercake
Hey! Well done getting this far :biggrin:

You actually need 60 credits for an Access Diploma! (Unless you mean 45 level 3 credits plus 15 level 2 credits?)
Anyway, from what I hear, a lot of people seem to have a mad rush in the last few weeks - I'm so glad I'm doing it part time!

I'm also really glad I did the course full stop. I've also met some great people and had so much fun and I really feel it was great preparation for uni.

Good luck!

yeah I meant the 45 level 3s :smile: I think I am going to have a mad rush too, even though i have handed everything in on time!

Original post by BigV
I know how you feel........... at my college we have to get all the work done by about mid June as that is when the external moderators/verifiers are coming in to check the work and grades given. So that gives us maybe 6 to 7 weeks to tidy everything up.....

We have yet to complete 16 level 3 credits (split over 4 modules and 5 assignments), and then we still have 4 English assignments to complete for the GCSE equivalence. (level 2). At this stage I actually only have 17 level 3 credits confirmed(subject to external moderation of course).

I could actually see some of those who are already behind with their work failing to complete in time....... which is a scary thought.

Luckily I am on top of all my work and I go back to college ready to complete whatever is thrown at me as quickly as possible.

So as you can see, there is no 'cooling off' period at my college......I'm looking forward to the 3 month break at the end!!!

Yes we have to have everything in by the first week of june to give them time to mark it ready for the moderators to come in. I have handed everything in on time but we just don't seem to have been given everything yet, I don't quite see how they are going to cram in that many credits in the space we have left! Although, the deadlines have gone from 4/5 weeks to 2 weeks lol. We also have a few exams to do which I guess will boost the credits. With the cooling off period, we keep getting told we are in it but i don't think it's any better than before, it's all tidying up and finding missing essays now as well as more assignments with shorter deadlines lol. Cannot wait for 3 months assignment free, not too sure what i will do with myself though lol
Reply 4
Original post by alibobs
yeah I meant the 45 level 3s :smile: I think I am going to have a mad rush too, even though i have handed everything in on time!

Yes we have to have everything in by the first week of june to give them time to mark it ready for the moderators to come in. I have handed everything in on time but we just don't seem to have been given everything yet, I don't quite see how they are going to cram in that many credits in the space we have left! Although, the deadlines have gone from 4/5 weeks to 2 weeks lol. We also have a few exams to do which I guess will boost the credits. With the cooling off period, we keep getting told we are in it but i don't think it's any better than before, it's all tidying up and finding missing essays now as well as more assignments with shorter deadlines lol. Cannot wait for 3 months assignment free, not too sure what i will do with myself though lol

I feel like the rest of you all still have 9 assignments on the go which is worth between 18-20 credits at level 2 and 6 credits at level 1.I have come down with a heavy cold now and some days what with all the work stacking up and how ill i feel sometimes feel i will never get it all done in just over a month left to me.I also know me progressing onto the access diploma is all up in the air at the mo alibobs just cant getmyself really motivated.
My plan was to get one assignment done over the easter holls and start my other two assignments last week still havnt done much tbh,need some motivation from somewhere:frown:i think we finish in early june :eek:which is fast approaching.
Reply 5
Original post by wizardtop

I feel like the rest of you all still have 9 assignments on the go which is worth between 18-20 credits at level 2 and 6 credits at level 1.I have come down with a heavy cold now and some days what with all the work stacking up and how ill i feel sometimes feel i will never get it all done in just over a month left to me.I also know me progressing onto the access diploma is all up in the air at the mo alibobs just cant getmyself really motivated.
My plan was to get one assignment done over the easter holls and start my other two assignments last week still havnt done much tbh,need some motivation from somewhere:frown:i think we finish in early june :eek:which is fast approaching.

I have counted up recently and I have between 27-30 credits now I think. I have got 5 assignments now, all due in the next few weeks. I have lost all motivation too, I want to get everything done but I can't seem to be bothered to fit in the work anywhere lol. Shame you feel ill, hope it buggers off and leaves you alone soon! Oh well, not long now. I have an exam today too which I am pretty sure i am going to struggle with :frown: bad times!
Reply 6
I'm exactly the same, my motivation has gone down hill and I'm panicking about fulfilling my offers. The more I panic though the less i seem to do. Talk about being in self destruct mode :-(
Reply 7
Original post by alibobs
I have counted up recently and I have between 27-30 credits now I think. I have got 5 assignments now, all due in the next few weeks. I have lost all motivation too, I want to get everything done but I can't seem to be bothered to fit in the work anywhere lol. Shame you feel ill, hope it buggers off and leaves you alone soon! Oh well, not long now. I have an exam today too which I am pretty sure i am going to struggle with :frown: bad times!

wow thats a lot of earned level 3 credits alibobs.I only have 18 credits at level 2 gained so far could be more as each assignment is worth 3 credits same as the level 3 course and still waiting on another 3 credits at level 1 which i might have to tweak the maths project tomorrow,as its the first time in 4 weeks we been in that lesson due to all the bank holidays and easter hols.
I wish u all the very best alibobs i am sure u will get it all done.Our Pre-Access group are feeling the same ie bit stressed out and so little time to get everything done:eek: I did manage to start another assignment and will go back to it tomorrow night :smile:
Wow :s-smilie: I have 48 credits so far and only 3 exams to go and then I'm finished! You all seem to have a lot more work to do on your courses...
Reply 9
Original post by Sheens
I'm exactly the same, my motivation has gone down hill and I'm panicking about fulfilling my offers. The more I panic though the less i seem to do. Talk about being in self destruct mode :-(

exactly the same as me!!! I need another 12 distinctions and I really *really* want to get them, panicking that I won't manage it but I just can't seem to find the motivation to actually start anything!
Reply 10
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Wow :s-smilie: I have 48 credits so far and only 3 exams to go and then I'm finished! You all seem to have a lot more work to do on your courses...

I am very jealous lol!!! I wish I had that much done and marked and back, would be nice to be able to relax a bit
Reply 11

Wow, I wish I were in your position.. I guess it goes to show that some colleges manage the time better than others.... my college has been pretty crap to be honest, giving endless deadline extensions earlier in the year, which is why we are in such a difficult situation now.

I now know I need to get 16 level 3 credits completed by June 8th. I only have 17 graded credits confirmed so far and I'm still waiting on grades or feedback for work I submitted the first week of March....... I mean in theory I could have additional work to (re)do if any of that unmarked work comes back to me as a referral....unlikely but possible.

I would recommend the Access course to anybody..... but I think it is a bit of a lottery when it comes to picking the 'right' college.
(edited 12 years ago)
It makes me a little concerned, my college has never piled work on to us the same way yours all seem to have :s-smilie: We have had 1 exam and 1 assignment (or 2 assignments and an oral presentation for our first English module) for each subject module and that is it apart from homework, which is graded but don't count towards our graded credits. So I have had 3 english assignments, an oral presenation and the exam (still to come); 2 psychology assignments and 2 exams (1 still to come) and 2 biology assignments (each linked to experiments done in class) and 2 biology exams (1 still to come). So at most I have had 3 assignments on the go at once. Some of you have 5 or more at once! It just seems so different and very intensive! I don't know if I've been lucky or unlucky - will they turn around at the end and say we haven't actually done enough work? And will it properly prepare us for Uni if the work load has been kept lighter than it should have? I do feel for the rest of you! It's terrible they have kept you waiting so long!
It makes me a little concerned, my college has never piled work on to us the same way yours all seem to have :s-smilie: We have had 1 exam and 1 assignment (or 2 assignments and an oral presentation for our first English module) for each subject module and that is it apart from homework, which is graded but don't count towards our graded credits. So I have had 3 english assignments, an oral presenation and the exam (still to come); 2 psychology assignments and 2 exams (1 still to come) and 2 biology assignments (each linked to experiments done in class) and 2 biology exams (1 still to come). So at most I have had 3 assignments on the go at once. Some of you have 5 or more at once! It just seems so different and very intensive! I don't know if I've been lucky or unlucky - will they turn around at the end and say we haven't actually done enough work? And will it properly prepare us for Uni if the work load has been kept lighter than it should have? I do feel for the rest of you! It's terrible they have kept you waiting so long!

dont feel bad girlwithsharpteeth it all depends on how each college works and how the lecturers plan out the various access assignments really and how it is structured and other minior little factors,the main reason i have so many assignments was because we had a few fridays off due to easter and other things where we usually in on a friday
One of the lecturers has had to extend one of our assignments because we havnt seen him for over a month and we still cant do some bits of it as we havnt covered it yet.Stress isnt the world i feeling at the mo.I have to start at least 3 assignments over the weekend,well i already started one of them already but as soon as i start them,and get through the bits we have covered that some of the criteria done at least
As Big V has stated in a previous post on this thread Access course does prepare u for University and gets you in however at the end of the day pick the college where u want to go wiser.
I just hope girlwithsharpteeth i do have enough time left to get all my assignments completed before the course is finished.This is only the Pre-Access course i am currently doing,so i dont know how the main Access diploma would be like.I doubt whether i be going onto that one as i havnt heared still about my tests scores and i have a feeling i didnt score higher enough,everyone else in my Pre-Access group are taking the maths and english tests right about now on a Saturday lol

The workload at the end of my Access Course is just getting silly. An independant project of 3500-5000 for the Easter Half Term combined with an assignment of 2500 to 2750 words. Generally everybody I talk to asked for an extension for both or the other. A lot of people are handing in their independant project late. This is stressing people out because of the university requirements needed. It is not easy for people coming back to education if they have been out the picture so long. The worst thing is I am still waiting for my Maths workbook and I started Maths in January. The irony is I am doing an Access to English course and the Maths is just a filler for credits in my opinion. It would not get me on a science degree course.

Anyway, rant over. Just keep persevering everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending