The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aankhi

I think manchester is internationally famous among indians specially, but brits don't seem to take it that seriously.bristol is way above everyones list.
I'm not sure they accept Indian board exam results, we do a whole extra year of studying here (essentially 13th standard) :s-smilie:
Reply 22
Computer Science. Even their department is supposed to be AWESOME (even if the CS building is plain ugly). The lowest rank it's got in the last 5 years is 12.
Reply 23
Original post by aankhi
I don't see a signature so I don't know where you're applying. UCL and perhaps some others do not accept Indian results, they require IB or A-levels for international students. For Computer Science, Bristol offer requires me to score 85% overall, Manchester, Sheffield and Southampton asked for 80% overall, English - 75-80%, Mathematics - 80-85%, Physics or Computer Science - 80%.

Hi there! Well I'm a CBSE Student and UCL has given me a conditional offer.I got rejected by Imperial though :\ maybe they don't accept CBSE grades or I wasn't good enough for them :redface: ? Although UCL asked for 90% overall.I didn't do my Math paper as well as I expected so I'm pretty scared since I really want to study at UCL.Warwick is my insurance and I'd be happy with Warwick too ^^ Seems like a nice place :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by hummingbird28
I think manchester is internationally famous among indians specially, but brits don't seem to take it that seriously.bristol is way above everyones list.

You do realize that you are adding to my "Manchester or Bristol" confusion, right? :biggrin:
Manchester seems to be very famous among indians, but league tables prove otherwise. I guess if u a looking for nightlife u wouldn't be dissapointed. But if particularly uni is concerned u should refer its forum for pros and cons
Original post by aankhi

Original post by aankhi
You do realize that you are adding to my "Manchester or Bristol" confusion, right? :biggrin:

All i am saying is that u cannot afford to be misinformed when considering to study abroad??????????
Reply 27
Original post by EasyA
Hi there! Well I'm a CBSE Student and UCL has given me a conditional offer.I got rejected by Imperial though :\ maybe they don't accept CBSE grades or I wasn't good enough for them :redface: ? Although UCL asked for 90% overall.I didn't do my Math paper as well as I expected so I'm pretty scared since I really want to study at UCL.Warwick is my insurance and I'd be happy with Warwick too ^^ Seems like a nice place :smile:

That is SO mean, their university website is misleading! Damnit, I should not have withdrawn! :mad:

I didn't apply to Imperial, because I felt that them asking for 23000 pounds tuition fees is a sign of raging insanity.
Me too was inclined towards manchester. My cousins and friends recommended it to me.its site is wonderful too.but look at me now.after i heard that story or shall i say stories i was shocked!
Reply 29
Original post by Mastermind007
I'm not sure they accept Indian board exam results, we do a whole extra year of studying here (essentially 13th standard) :s-smilie:

Hey! They do ^^ I got accepted by Warwick and UCL with my CBSE grades and we do a whole lot of stuff in the Science stream in grade 11 and 12.We do all stuff in Grade 12 and 11- calculus,3D geometry,complex numbers ( in grade 11),C++,and we've covered a lot of stuff ( almost everything and more) in physics and chemistry too :smile: I've studied for AP ( Advanced Placement) too [ It's American though] and I could do almost everything , although I did mess up my CBSE Board exams ( Math and Physics )so I'm not sure if I'll get in UCL since they're asking for 90% :frown:
Reply 30
All i am saying is that u cannot afford to be misinformed when considering to study abroad??????????

I'm not exactly misinformed. I know what all the rankings say and also that they are, to an extent, crap :redface: I looked at the course modules, read student opinions and reviews, compared cities, costs and accommodation choices...I am not planning to spend 20 lakhs a year without reading into the investment :smile:
Original post by aankhi

Original post by aankhi
That is SO mean, their university website is misleading! Damnit, I should not have withdrawn! :mad:

I didn't apply to Imperial, because I felt that them asking for 23000 pounds tuition fees is a sign of raging insanity.

Thats because london is way too expensive.u'll have to pay twice as much as u will anywhere else.
Original post by aankhi

I am not saying that 'you" are misinformed. Rather i was
Hey that's great congrats, I had no idea!

I really want my cousin to come here and study so that's good news! :teehee:
I dont know why cbse is considered low level exam by some who dont even know it course structure
Reply 35
Original post by aankhi

Wow O_O I didn't know Imperial charged that much! I opted out of NYU mainly because of their high fee..something like 52K USD in a year and they've got 4 years! UCL is approx. 16K pounds + accommodation and stuff but it's 3 years although I'd love to do the 4th year..I didn't know we could take M.Eng without B.Eng! Like I thought the masters comes AFTER the bachelors right? ^^ I applied to City and Brunel as safety since I didn't think UCL or Warwick would accept me.Now I hope I meet the conditions since I'm pretty scared of the results...I'm assuming you've done CBSE.How was the physics and Math exam? :redface:
Reply 36
Me too was inclined towards manchester. My cousins and friends recommended it to me.its site is wonderful too.but look at me now.after i heard that story or shall i say stories i was shocked!

Well, the university is gorgeous overall but some departments can be sad.

Manchester seems to be very famous among indians, but league tables prove otherwise. I guess if u a looking for nightlife u wouldn't be dissapointed. But if particularly uni is concerned u should refer its forum for pros and cons

League tables are merely general indicators. I don't blindly trust them.

Famous amongst Indians because there are many Indians + have you looked at the international tables?

I'm definitely not looking for nightlife, I'm looking for education. I don't mind being called a nerd or whatever (may just buy myself nerd glasses for the purpose too) as long as I'm getting the grades. :smile:
Original post by aankhi

Original post by aankhi
Well, the university is gorgeous overall but some departments can be sad.

League tables are merely general indicators. I don't blindly trust them.

Famous amongst Indians because there are many Indians + have you looked at the international tables?

I'm definitely not looking for nightlife, I'm looking for education. I don't mind being called a nerd or whatever (may just buy myself nerd glasses for the purpose too) as long as I'm getting the grades. :smile:

Me too.yep.dont mind being called a nerd. Infact i m still apprehensive of how will i escape those nights where my dorm mate wanna party.have u devised a way yet????????
Reply 38
Original post by EasyA
Wow O_O I didn't know Imperial charged that much! I opted out of NYU mainly because of their high fee..something like 52K USD in a year and they've got 4 years! UCL is approx. 16K pounds + accommodation and stuff but it's 3 years although I'd love to do the 4th year..I didn't know we could take M.Eng without B.Eng! Like I thought the masters comes AFTER the bachelors right? ^^ I applied to City and Brunel as safety since I didn't think UCL or Warwick would accept me.Now I hope I meet the conditions since I'm pretty scared of the results...I'm assuming you've done CBSE.How was the physics and Math exam? :redface:

I got rejected by NYU :redface: But US repels me for UG studies because studying a bunch of things that you'll not need for a career?! - that is SO studying-environmental-education-and-Hindi-for-ISC-despite-being-a-Science-student kind of situation! :tongue:

MEng is a masters just for name. It is still just an undergraduate degree. I know because my initial offer is for MEng (I'm going to change during registration). I'd rather get a BSc and then an MSc :smile:

Congrats on your offers! :biggrin: I was as happy when Bristol accepted me, I had not expected it. I didn't apply to any place that's average or below because I would have rather spent much less and studied in a good Indian college instead :cool:

Nah, I took ISC. You must have heard about the racket with our Math paper.......I had died when I saw the paper because I could answer about 80% and I was hoping for >95 :frown:
Oh yeah i heard it too.u will find a lot of indians at manchester.but i think sheffield has the same case.

Latest

Trending

Trending