The Student Room Group

Ireland. british or irish?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I'm from Northern Ireland and I'm British
Original post by garethDT
Errm, my point was that Wales and Scotland should be independent as well

And i am not saying that they should'nt. I defending my own as this has been engraved in our country and still a re-occurring problem in regards peace keeping. Scotland and Wales have not rebelled against this in recent times.
Original post by garethDT
It is naturally part of the British Isles, in that sense all of us are racially, culturally and linguistically linked, regardless of the politics.

Using the Spain analogy why does Portugal get to be independent and not Catalonia?

There is no way that ireland is culturally linked with britian apart from us being celts, as scotland and wales were but that has nothing to do with england. Is it because we both speak english? we were forced to speak to english and if we did not we were shot, same goes for if we participated in any irish sports. I studied intercultural studies and irish history, there is probably a lot that you don't know.
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
Feck people, they can say for themselves, what about Rockall?

just out of interest ,do the celtic 'family' in scotland consider themselves irish or scottish.
Original post by Peace'n'loveman
just out of interest ,do the celtic 'family' in scotland consider themselves irish or scottish.

I couldn't speak for anyone but myself. Certainly the majority of us have an affinity for Ireland as is apparent by the many tricolours on display at a given match.
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
I couldn't speak for anyone but myself. Certainly the majority of us have an affinity for Ireland as is apparent by the many tricolours on display at a given match.

As someone of irish (catholic) descent myself ,still with connections in eire ,i think your statement really points to the only solution to peace in ireland,and a stronger uk. I just think we should put in a eu funded policy that would allow for resettlement of irish people in the uk -particularly scotland- back to ireland (preferably ulster) ,and for the protestant irish (who probably consider themselves scottish) to re-settle in scotland
Reply 226
As someone of irish (catholic) descent myself ,still with connections in eire ,i think your statement really points to the only solution to peace in ireland,and a stronger uk. I just think we should put in a eu funded policy that would allow for resettlement of irish people in the uk -particularly scotland- back to ireland (preferably ulster) ,and for the protestant irish (who probably consider themselves scottish) to re-settle in scotland

I can only hope that you are trolling.

As much as we might wish the Ulster Plantations and Great Hunger had never happened, and so people of different cultural and national identities didn't clash and produce uncomfortable social and political situations, reversing the migration of peoples really isn't an option. These people are 'home' where they are- they have jobs, mortgages, family, friends and, more intangible, an attachment to where they are currently. We cannot override that for some 'greater good'. An affinity does not mean they wish life-changing emigration.
Reply 228

Err what do you mean 'allow' them to resettle? There's nothing stopping them from moving if they want to.
Reply 229
Original post by Phonicschick
There is no way that ireland is culturally linked with britian apart from us being celts, as scotland and wales were but that has nothing to do with england.

Your pretend ethnic classifications and bizarre cultural generalisations are as facile now as they were in the 19th century.

Is it because we both speak english? we were forced to speak to english and if we did not we were shot, same goes for if we participated in any irish sports.

Yes, a common language, some shared sports, a common political tradition and so forth are just some of the things that culturally link Ireland with Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Anyway, your oppression complex is showing. Needless to say, if you think that's the reason why English and football are popular in Ireland, you're completely wrong.

I thought Stalin was dead?

This is absurd.
Reply 231
To those who assert the (undeniable) cultural links between Ireland and Great Britain, are these links actually being used as part of a rationale to justify why the two should be politically linked?
Reply 232
1) the North of Ireland and Northern Ireland are 2 entirely different places >.<
2) as it stands, Northern Ireland is British, Ireland is Irish (duh)
3) My opinion- I do not have one, it creates arguements. I say I'm british because that's what I am according to the higher powers :lol:
Reply 233
i myself born in the UK am irish by genes and culture. as the good man Pope John Paul said when defining human rights, "no man should be a prisoner of any cultures but should assert his own personal dignity by living in accordance to the very truth of his being"

if people have a problem with me being irish then that is of course their nationalistic, right wing, narrow minded problem.
Original post by L i b
Your pretend ethnic classifications and bizarre cultural generalisations are as facile now as they were in the 19th century.

Yes, a common language, some shared sports, a common political tradition and so forth are just some of the things that culturally link Ireland with Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Anyway, your oppression complex is showing. Needless to say, if you think that's the reason why English and football are popular in Ireland, you're completely wrong.

I'm only stating the facts. Like I said I studied irish history and intercultural studies and there is a lot that you don't know so just stay out of it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so get over yourself.
Reply 235
I'm only stating the facts. Like I said I studied irish history and intercultural studies and there is a lot that you don't know so just stay out of it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so get over yourself.

You're suggesting you're stating facts, then you suggest you're presenting opinion. Which is it? In fact, I'm quite able to tell you: it's bull-****, and all your "I've studied Irish history" nonsense (at a further education college in Cork, it seems) won't save you from that.

You're entitled to your ridiculous opinions, and I'm entitled to tell you when they're ridiculous. I've highlighted both where you are being historically inaccurate - frankly your interpretation of Irish history would make a Sinn Fein MP blush - and your ludicrous claims about cultural separation. Your opinions are based on nothing more than two-bit ingrained Irish nationalism, and no-one's going to buy that here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 236
Original post by L i b
You're suggesting you're stating facts, then you suggest you're presenting opinion. Which is it? In fact, I'm quite able to tell you: it's bull-****, and all your "I've studied Irish history" nonsense (at a further education college in Cork, it seems) won't save you from that.

Correct.

You talk a fair amount of ****e yourself, however; indeed I would go so far as to suggest that anybody discussing Irish politics with someone who thinks the Good Friday agreement represented nothing more than vindication for those who oppose a united Ireland is wasting their breath.

Like most Tories, you have absolutely no grasp of the sensibilities of Irish history and are absolutely determined to see the situation through a rigidly black and white lens.
Reply 237
Original post by Teofilo
Correct.

You talk a fair amount of ****e yourself, however; indeed I would go so far as to suggest that anybody discussing Irish politics with someone who thinks the Good Friday agreement represented nothing more than vindication for those who oppose a united Ireland is wasting their breath.

The Good Friday Agreement represents a vindication of those who oppose violent Republicanism and who suggest that the UK state is somehow illegitimate by Irish nationalist standards. The people of Ireland don't back them, accept that the United Kingdom exists and believe that Irish unification can only occur on the basis of a majority vote of the people of Northern Ireland.

Like most Tories, you have absolutely no grasp of the sensibilities of Irish history and are absolutely determined to see the situation through a rigidly black and white lens.

Really? Did the Tories who fought for Confederate Ireland against Cromwell not understand the sensibilities of Irish history? Or those who opposed the deposing of James II/VII? Or in the modern day, the likes of Lord Trimble, who has won the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in bringing peace to Northern Ireland?

I am proudly anti-Nationalist - and believe it or not, that applies to the equally nationalistic orange-tinged bunch to the north as much as anyone else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by L i b

You're entitled to your ridiculous opinions, and I'm entitled to tell you when they're ridiculous. I've highlighted both where you are being historically inaccurate - frankly your interpretation of Irish history would make a Sinn Fein MP blush - and your ludicrous claims about cultural separation. Your opinions are based on nothing more than two-bit ingrained Irish nationalism, and no-one's going to buy that here.

You seriously must have nothing to do if your checking online what college I attend. By the way it's the best one in Cork and basically a route to uni if you do not want to repeat your exams so gloat in the mirror to yourself. yes studied Irish history, It's called the leaving certificate by the way, you know the more advanced version of the A-levels?? how would know anything about this country you don't live here nor did you grow up with the history that we have. I don't know why your trying to fight a battle that your not going to win, your English, i'm Irish so don't even try to tell me what my country's history is. Or do you just seem to think you know it all? All anyone is doing on here is disagreeing with you.
Reply 239
You seriously must have nothing to do if your checking online what college I attend. By the way it's the best one in Cork and basically a route to uni if you do not want to repeat your exams so gloat in the mirror to yourself. yes studied Irish history, It's called the leaving certificate by the way, you know the more advanced version of the A-levels?? how would know anything about this country you don't live here nor did you grow up with the history that we have. I don't know why your trying to fight a battle that your not going to win, your English, i'm Irish so don't even try to tell me what my country's history is. Or do you just seem to think you know it all? All anyone is doing on here is disagreeing with you.

It took two seconds to check your profile - if you're not capable of taking the initiative to challenge someone else's claims, then you really shouldn't bother coming onto a debating forum. Anyway, I didn't even realise you'd only studied it at secondary level. Even if you'd done it to degree level at Trinity, I wouldn't have given a ****: you were wrong.

Telling me that I'm a English fool and thus incapable of understanding Irish history is nothing short of racism. We don't stand for that here. I'm not English either: I'm was born in Canada, raised in Scotland and am British. Yes, I do think - given what you've said - that I know more about Irish history, or am at least better at contextualising it - than you. If your only argument about that is my ethnic origins, then you'll be laughed out of this place faster than the ones who think the Queen is secretly Jewish and that reptilian people control the banking system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending