The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
screenager2004
A four year long degree with a year in industry is only a three-year long degree, as you do not pay tuition fees for your year out. If you have never spent any time at university before, and are eligible for funding, it should be funded.

No, the Student Loans NEVER pay for Masters degrees. They fund undergraduate degrees only. You pay for the masters yourself.

The placement year does count on the allocation of a fee loan, unless it's an ERASMUS or NHS Bursary year. Unis can charge you a fee for that year, and it is brought into the assessment.
Reply 21
Depends very much on your degree. However most standard 3 or 4 year degrees will get the length of their course plus 1 year.

If you fail two years then you won’t get funding for the second repeat year, but will still get funding for your final year.

For example, a standard 3 year degree...

Year 1 (fail) = funded
Year 1 repeat year (pass) = funded
Year 2 (fail) = funded
Year 2 repeat year (pass) = NOT funded
Year 3 (pass) = funded

Hope that makes sense!

sfdoctor
www.studentfinancedoctor.com/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Having started 2 different courses at Uni [failed first yr then moved to a different course - from which I dropped out after a term as I hated it] I have had 2 years loan from SLC. I have spent the subsequent 2 years working to earn enough money to go back to uni to do a course I REALLY want to do...its a 3 year course. Hope to go back next September. Am I right in thinking that I will get loans for years 2 and 3? And if so at what point do I contact SLC again....before I start the course or not until I've completed year 1?
Reply 23
You'll get the maintenance loan in year one, and fee loans years two and three
Reply 24
Hi annkaytk,

This all depends on what funding you received from the SLC in the first degree.

I'm guessing that for the first year, you took both the tuition fees loan and the maintenance loan (the loan that is paid directly to you).

It also seems you took the maintenance loan in the second year as well. However, as you left during the first term of this second year, do you know if you took a tuition fee loan for this year as well? I know that SFE won’t pay the tuition fee loan now if a student leaves before December (meaning the student has to pick up the bill), but you would have been assessed by your Local Authority. Sometimes LEAs were a bit more forgiving, so they may have paid the fee loan for you.

Essentially, your new three year course has 3 years + 1 additional year of funding available (so 4 years in total). As you have taken 2 maintenance loans, the regulations state that your previous funding is deducted from total number of years of funding available on your new course (so 4 years - 2 years of maintenance loans = 2 maintenance loans left) This funding will then come in years 2 & 3.

However if you have only taken one tuition fee loan in your previous degree, you may still have 3 years left of this, so potentially enough to pay for the whole degree. However if you have taken 2 years of tuition fee loan then you would only be eligible for the final two years.

It’s best to speak to the SLC to confirm what you funding you have taken and what their position is before you start the course though.

Hope that helps!

Sfdoctor
Reply 25
sfdoctor
Hi annkaytk,

This all depends on what funding you received from the SLC in the first degree.

I'm guessing that for the first year, you took both the tuition fees loan and the maintenance loan (the loan that is paid directly to you).

It also seems you took the maintenance loan in the second year as well. However, as you left during the first term of this second year, do you know if you took a tuition fee loan for this year as well? I know that SFE won’t pay the tuition fee loan now if a student leaves before December (meaning the student has to pick up the bill), but you would have been assessed by your Local Authority. Sometimes LEAs were a bit more forgiving, so they may have paid the fee loan for you.

Essentially, your new three year course has 3 years + 1 additional year of funding available (so 4 years in total). As you have taken 2 maintenance loans, the regulations state that your previous funding is deducted from total number of years of funding available on your new course (so 4 years - 2 years of maintenance loans = 2 maintenance loans left) This funding will then come in years 2 & 3.

However if you have only taken one tuition fee loan in your previous degree, you may still have 3 years left of this, so potentially enough to pay for the whole degree. However if you have taken 2 years of tuition fee loan then you would only be eligible for the final two years.

It’s best to speak to the SLC to confirm what you funding you have taken and what their position is before you start the course though.

Hope that helps!

Sfdoctor

Fee loan entitlement relates to attendance, not payment of the fees. This is covered within Regulation 22 of The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2009
Reply 26
Hi Taiko,

Would regulation 20(7) allow for the payment of fees in the first year of the new course, if there were compelling personal reasons behind annkaytk's decision to leave the previous course?
Reply 27
sfdoctor
Hi Taiko,

Would regulation 20(7) allow for the payment of fees in the first year of the new course, if there were compelling personal reasons behind annkaytk's decision to leave the previous course?

20(7) would allow it, however the circumstances obviously have to be proven. I think SFE are more demanding on this than I've ever been though.
Reply 28
Thanks both .... will contact SLC for clarification. Have budgeted for paying first year fees plus supporting myself for first year so hopefully things will be fine.
Reply 29
Hi, I have had 2 years worth of loans, the first year I was on wrong course and changed, and last year, my grandmother passed away and I suffered some illness, I have just gone back to do it, been here a month and this was my last chance to finally get it, now they are saying they wont fund it, will they if iprove i was ill?
Reply 30
BAMP

If I complete a 2 year course and graduate. Then want to do a 4 year degree course, will they fund me for the next four years?
Reply 31
Original post by chrislpp
BAMP

If I complete a 2 year course and graduate. Then want to do a 4 year degree course, will they fund me for the next four years?

I'm not 100% sure, so you might need clarification, but given that their calculation for entitlement is "number of years you want to study" + 1 year - any years previously studied, the simple answer to your question would be no - you'll need to fund at least the first year yourself.

The other thing that you might have problems with (and this is the bit I'm unsure about) - if you've already gained an undergraduate degree (BA, BEd, BEng, BMBS/BMBCH, BMus, BNurs, BSc, BTh, BVetMed, LLB) then you'll need to pay ELQ (equivelent or lower qualification) fees if you're planning on doing another undergraduate degree. Student finance do not cover this AFAIK as they only provide funding for your first degree.

Probably best to check with them direct to be sure though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by TomU
I'm not 100% sure, so you might need clarification, but given that their calculation for entitlement is "number of years you want to study" + 1 year - any years previously studied, the simple answer to your question would be no - you'll need to fund at least the first year yourself.

The other thing that you might have problems with (and this is the bit I'm unsure about) - if you've already gained an undergraduate degree (BA, BEd, BEng, BMBS/BMBCH, BMus, BNurs, BSc, BTh, BVetMed, LLB) then you'll need to pay ELQ (equivelent or lower qualification) fees if you're planning on doing another undergraduate degree. Student finance do not cover this AFAIK as they only provide funding for your first degree.

Probably best to check with them direct to be sure though.

Well they don't know what I want.

Anyway I have applied for 2011/12 and I get a typical amount, but having to do the next 3 years out of my own pocket would be just stupid, considering the first qualification i have is NOT a degree, but it IS higher education so I was given a loan!

EDIT: So apparently I will not get tuition fees paid for the first 2 years but WILL get a maintenance loan. After the 2 years the final 2 years will be covered by tuition/maintenace/grants all over again.

Anyone got £6700 spare?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Taiko
Screenager is right, duration of the new course plus one year less any years of previous study = entitlement.

Sorry to bump this old stuff people.

I know you're the UCAS guy - is the above still the case?
Reply 34
Original post by paddy__power

Never worked for UCAS, but that is correct.
Original post by Taiko
Never worked for UCAS, but that is correct.

I meant SF, was just in a rush and thus fecked it up. Thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by paddy__power

How does this apply to five year courses ? I checked and it looks like it does. But alot are saying it is a max of 5 years?
Original post by Magnetic
How does this apply to five year courses ? I checked and it looks like it does. But alot are saying it is a max of 5 years?

Yes it does. 5 years is only the maximum if your doing a 4 year course. For a 5 year course e.g. Dentistry the maximum is 6 years.
Reply 38
I hope so, because I really want to transfer but it would take another year. SFE told me on the phone that I couldn't and was already taking my extra year by doing a 5 year long course, but I think they get confused by scottish degrees... All the documents say otherwise, I have seen nothing about a 5 year limit on them. According to the formula if I get my transfer I can get (5+1)-2= 4 more years of funding I am very nervous about it though! I have tried emailing to get something in writing before I go ahead with it but they site is always down... Reapplying through SAAS would mean I would have to drop down to a Bachelors to get fully funded.
Is it four years only?

Cuz if that's the case I'm well and truly screwed. I'm in my second year at university, and I've never really enjoyed my course. I passed the first year no problem, but due to various health reasons (of the mental variety) I've well and truly messed up my second year. I've been advised to start university afresh with a different course... but if Student Loans only cover me for four years, then I dunno what to do. I think the first year it would cost me the £3,000 for uni, but the next two are gonna be £9,000, and then I'd need maintenance loans as well. So even if I were to pay for the first year... there's no frigging way I could afford that.

I'm on a three year course at the moment, and I'd be restarting university on another three year course.

Anyone got any ideas what I could do?

Latest

Trending

Trending