The Student Room Group

Worst place in the UK to live?!

Scroll to see replies

No one better say Manchester :colonhash:

inb4 Salford. It's not Manchester.
*ahem.* I live in the boro, on the outskirts of it. Technically, another mile or two and I'd fall under Redcar and Cleveland areas. IMO, it isnt the worst place in the country.

Sure, it has some bad areas but otherwise it has:

Transport links to many places
A good university (where I study)
Several good colleges nearby
Good shops
Good nightlife (If you are into that sort of thing.)

The odd neighbourhood is bad, but where isnt there bad neighborhoods?

I would like to nominate Leeds as a FAR worse place to live. Even the city center was dodgy. At least in middlesbrough the area around the uni and in the city center was reasonably safe (as safe as anywhere is these days...)
Reply 62
Can only judge on places i've been to but he's my list (not exhaustive by any means)

Derby
Scunthorpe
Luton
Tower Hamlets (actually lived here on a square in Mile End, that wasn't bad, but everywhere else was pretty horrible)
Most of South Yorkshire
Parts of Greater Manchester
Accrington
Watford
Coventry (despite the excellent Ukrainian community - its a concrete ****box not worthy of two cathedrals)
Glasgow
Bermondsey/OKR area
Croydon
Stoke
Crewe
Ilkeston
Reply 63
So pretty much most of England then…
Reply 64
Original post by adam*
I am indeed from Hemel :frown:. I take trip into Berko a lot and I hate to break it to you but I don't think that Berkhamstead is much better :colone: LOL.

BUT WE HAVE A CASTLE....! And a Waitrose! That's better then Hemel's awful high street :hand:
Reply 65
Original post by Danny.
No fees, u mad????

I can't wait til you guys go independent. :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 66
DOVER :frown:

EDIT: actually MARGATE - that is grim :/

I live half way between both and going towards either of them is a bad experience and just a plain bad idea... Canterbury on the other hand is AWESOME :biggrin: :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Anywhere in Lancashire beginning with a B; Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton and Burnley.
Reply 68
Original post by McZero
I can't wait till you guys go independent. :P

Free prescriptions, not having to sell one's home to pay for care, no tuition fees, having MPs that vote on English issues and receiving more funding per head than the English is all good stuff. But the Scottish people will decide on independence, not you...

As for the worst place in the United Kingdom - Birmingham and Leicester would get my vote.
Reply 69
Wigan (my home town), christ it's a ****hole however the nightlife is good and that makes up for it.

Bolton, next door to Wigan, just plain bad.
Dagenham
Reply 71
Not much mention of places on the south coast so I'll throw Portsmouth in. Horrible, horrible place, and rather than spending money on doing anything meaningful with the town they built that stupid tower that provides a wonderful view of urban decay.
Reply 72
Some of the ex-industrial areas up North are pretty grim...parts of Yorkshire mostly. North Wales has some horrible places too, all the mining towns.

Not getting the hate for Wolverhampton! I went there the other week and thought it was okay. I can understand why people say Birmingham though - I've lived near there for years but I'm still not keen on it.
Reply 73
Bradford
Camberwell, Peckham, Brixton. I lived in all these areas for university, it's bloody depressing. And way too much crime and noise pollution from the Heathrow flightpaths.
Newcastle if the Geordie Shore is anything to go by
Reply 76
It took Bolton 4 pages to get mentioned? That's pretty positive!

Original post by Reptilia
Wigan (my home town), christ it's a ****hole however the nightlife is good and that makes up for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-12276612
Newport, South Wales...I'm dreading going back in a week or so, especially after having been in Bath for so long. It looks grim, with a murky brown river flowing through it, most of the shops in the town centre are being closed down/ replaced by poundlands, it's full of chavs and dole-bums and theres jack-**** to do. Thankfully, Cardiff's only 20 mins down the road!
Reply 78
All of the UK.
Original post by Squidgyness

I would like to nominate Leeds as a FAR worse place to live. Even the city center was dodgy. At least in middlesbrough the area around the uni and in the city center was reasonably safe (as safe as anywhere is these days...)

Whilst my girlfriend is from teeside so I applaud you defending Boro your opinion on Leeds is a joke. City centre is absolutely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest