The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by white_haired_wizard
Go down to Stockport tourist information and get yourself 'Map 7 - Stockport'. A good leaflet detailing good cycling routes in Stockport. There are other map numbers available covering other areas of Greater Manchester. These maps are free.

I saw the link. Just come back from a 19 mile ride myself. Did OK seeing as I ate a bit of crap before going out on my ride, pasta for lunch followed by a white chocolate and lemon cookie and two packets of crisps. Not healthy but my speed average of 16.7 was OK, surprising actually. Got to eat some crap as it is my birthday today :cool: FML I'm getting old.

I shall have a gander at the maps!

and happy birthday! you deserve to eat some crap. :P

What do you think of the route?
Original post by JLXP
I shall have a gander at the maps!

and happy birthday! you deserve to eat some crap. :P

What do you think of the route?

I'm going to have a look at that route and probably try it at some point. 33-34kms equates to about 22 miles?

What are the uphill bits like? And the speed you can get on the downhill sections?

It looks like a good length of ride, will have to look into it, what roads to take etc.
I'm going to have a look at that route and probably try it at some point. 33-34kms equates to about 22 miles?

What are the uphill bits like? And the speed you can get on the downhill sections?

It looks like a good length of ride, will have to look into it, what roads to take etc.

The hills towards Kettleshulme are really quite challenging, but the descent is well worth it. Easily 35-45mph on the descent, once you hit the peak, it's all down hill, which is an incentive.

That's the exact route i did that's been mapped ^, from where i live, so you could easily start it straight from the A6.
hey guys.

I have been training for this "lap the lough" event on the 28th of August for the past while now. I need some advice :smile:

Around where I live it is mostly hills and this event is 82 miles but idk what the journey is going to be like hill to flat wise. I am doing around 20 miles each day of solid hill training. I am wondering if this short journey training will be ok as its all hills. Can anyone give me some advice on what training i should do to complete this event in the best possible time :smile:

thanks.
Original post by JLXP
The hills towards Kettleshulme are really quite challenging, but the descent is well worth it. Easily 35-45mph on the descent, once you hit the peak, it's all down hill, which is an incentive.

That's the exact route i did that's been mapped ^, from where i live, so you could easily start it straight from the A6.

My calf muscles are pathetic atm. Probably need to strengthen them gradually before doing some serious hillage, tbh.

The downhill speed is very appealing though :cool: I'm pretty sure I've never hit more than 38 mph but as I've only been regularly cycling for the last two years, I'm sure this will change, sooner rather than later.

I was watching the last stage of the TDF this year and those guys were cycling, IIRC, 40mph+ on flat roads, some of which were cobbled, around champs d'elysee (sic?). Mind you, they're full time athletes and they have awesome bikes...
My calf muscles are pathetic atm. Probably need to strengthen them gradually before doing some serious hillage, tbh.

The downhill speed is very appealing though :cool: I'm pretty sure I've never hit more than 38 mph but as I've only been regularly cycling for the last two years, I'm sure this will change, sooner rather than later.

I was watching the last stage of the TDF this year and those guys were cycling, IIRC, 40mph+ on flat roads, some of which were cobbled, around champs d'elysee (sic?). Mind you, they're full time athletes and they have awesome bikes...

the speed afterwards is well worth the slog up the hill. :biggrin:

And yeah, i've been watching lots of the TDF, impressive isn't it. :P
Go down to Stockport tourist information and get yourself 'Map 7 - Stockport'. A good leaflet detailing good cycling routes in Stockport. There are other map numbers available covering other areas of Greater Manchester. These maps are free.

I saw the link. Just come back from a 19 mile ride myself. Did OK seeing as I ate a bit of crap before going out on my ride, pasta for lunch followed by a white chocolate and lemon cookie and two packets of crisps. Not healthy but my speed average of 16.7 was OK, surprising actually. Got to eat some crap as it is my birthday today :cool: FML I'm getting old.

No kidding?! It's my birthday today as well!! I tried to cover the same distance as in previous days, especially with the weather as it is, but the celebrations have taken their toll on me.

Hope you had a great day! :smile:
Reply 1987
Original post by Seasick Steve
No kidding?! It's my birthday today as well!! I tried to cover the same distance as in previous days, especially with the weather as it is, but the celebrations have taken their toll on me.

Happy birthday! :smile:

Decent enough day, although I'm the type of person who never makes a massive song and dance about a birthday and the celebrations etc...

I've eaten alot today (an Indian meal tonight with some Kingfisher beers which have really bloated me!) and a fair amount of crap to boot (crisps, chocolate), so I'll be working all the crap off tomorrow with a good cycle outdoors again.

Surprised by the quality of my workout today, wasn't expecting much but I maintained a decent average mph of approx 16.6mph.

I'm going to cycle a flattish ride again tomorrow but go for 25 mile ride instead of the usual 18-19 mile road.
Original post by Roobsa

Cheers, bro :cool:
Original post by JLXP
the speed afterwards is well worth the slog up the hill. :biggrin:

And yeah, i've been watching lots of the TDF, impressive isn't it. :P

how many minutes climbing is it, is it long but not too steep ascent, is it short but severe ascent...?

more details before I make a well informed decision, to do or avoid :colondollar::cool:

Currently reading Wiggins's autobiography - good read so far. Very honest and open, as you'd expect with Wiggins tbh.
Original post by Roobsa

Thanks mate :biggrin:

Decent enough day, although I'm the type of person who never makes a massive song and dance about a birthday and the celebrations etc...

I've eaten alot today (an Indian meal tonight with some Kingfisher beers which have really bloated me!) and a fair amount of crap to boot (crisps, chocolate), so I'll be working all the crap off tomorrow with a good cycle outdoors again.

Surprised by the quality of my workout today, wasn't expecting much but I maintained a decent average mph of approx 16.6mph.

I'm going to cycle a flattish ride again tomorrow but go for 25 mile ride instead of the usual 18-19 mile road.

Yeah, normally I go for a 3 or 4 mile run in the morning, and then go for a cycle later on after lunch. Usually I manage about 40 miles on my bike, but today I could only get to about half that. Mainly because I was so exhausted, but also because of the numbers of people on the seafront.
how many minutes climbing is it, is it long but not too steep ascent, is it short but severe ascent...?

more details before I make a well informed decision, to do or avoid :colondollar::cool:

Currently reading Wiggins's autobiography - good read so far. Very honest and open, as you'd expect with Wiggins tbh.

on that link for mapmyride.com ^ you can view the gradient, that'll give you an accurate description
Thanks mate :biggrin:

Yeah, normally I go for a 3 or 4 mile run in the morning, and then go for a cycle later on after lunch. Usually I manage about 40 miles on my bike, but today I could only get to about half that. Mainly because I was so exhausted, but also because of the numbers of people on the seafront.

Happy birthday anyway, hope you've had a good one!
Happy birthday anyway, hope you've had a good one!

Thanks, and you!
Reply 1995
Happy birthday to you both!!

Might actually ride my bike for once tomorrow :eek: Unless it turns out to be muggy and horrible as it has been for a while. Roll on Autumn where riding doesn't make me feel like a pig being roasted on a fire! :frown:

Welcome to our newest member too :biggrin:
Original post by JLXP
on that link for mapmyride.com ^ you can view the gradient, that'll give you an accurate description

I viewed it and it looks like a real beast of a gradient. In the first 3-4 months of this year, I did quite a bit of work on my turbo and I found that the HIIT and general workouts I did on the turbo really strengthened, in particular, my calfs, and consequently, my ability to climb well. My legs are relatively strong at present but they could be much stronger, just got to increase hills in my rides I suppose, but I do love flats. I can really get good pace on flat roads. But very little beats bombing it down some hills, shame you have to ascend before the descent :angry:
Original post by dhr90
Happy birthday to you both!!

Might actually ride my bike for once tomorrow :eek: Unless it turns out to be muggy and horrible as it has been for a while. Roll on Autumn where riding doesn't make me feel like a pig being roasted on a fire! :frown:

Welcome to our newest member too :biggrin:

It's not too bad cycling in the heat and humidity. You're cycling afterall and there'll be wind to cool you down every so often and just keep well hydrated with water or what-not.

Welcome to the cycling crew, bro.
My back tyre keeps slipping when im cycling, i can see any faults with it, any ideas anyone?

(By slipping i mean that its moving when im cycling)
Reply 1999
Just been told the Langster I was given has a crack in the carbon fibre forks. :frown: There goes my hopes of having a road worthy road bike! It's not worth putting £250 into the bike as it's not worth anywhere near that now sadly.

Latest