The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5320
I don't think it's a bad thing really. I mean my main concern would be getting the first and second priorities mixed up (even though they could be close) and then losing all your marks for that question. However they do say "Marks are awarded for near misses", so hopefully that won't be a problem. :cool:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I'd much prefer to keep the white space questions. Writing utter bull**** has so far got me into medicine and an iBSc, so I was fairly hopeful that I could continue the pattern with job applications :hmpf:

Only because we had to write utter bull**** to get through the loops.
Without it that just leaves us alone in the wilderness.
drunk chess drunk chess i'm losing at it my life is pretty lame
Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks
drunk chess drunk chess i'm losing at it my life is pretty lame

Oh dear :rolleyes:

Where abouts do you live in Ireland?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5324
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I'd much prefer to keep the white space questions. Writing utter bull**** has so far got me into medicine and an iBSc, so I was fairly hopeful that I could continue the pattern with job applications :hmpf:

Haha same, I pride myself on my ability to write bull**** and make it sound fantastic.
Since when did I suddenly think - yeah, lets learn some Russian?! It's been a long summer methinks.
Totally off topic but, holy crap this is awesome after ~1.40ish

Grrrr i cant get no sleep....
Delusional after the first day..........great!!
Reply 5328
Original post by RollerBall
Totally off topic but, holy crap this is awesome after ~1.40ish
Pld
Reply 5330
What were they doing to here that needed an epidural in the first place?
Two days? Must have been one hell of an op.
Reply 5332
Two days? Must have been one hell of an op.
Epidurals stay in up to four days.
After some brief PubMed-ing, it seems there's some discussion on lap cholecystectomy and regional anaesthesia. Apparently not as uncommon as it once was wrt those with no contraindications for general anaesthesia (which would appear to be the case with this girl).

:holmes:
Original post by Renal
Epidurals stay in up to four days.

Seriously? Wow, fail on my part then. I always figured they were on for the op then off (presuming it wasn't incredibly painful).
Reply 5335
Seriously? Wow, fail on my part then. I always figured they were on for the op then off (presuming it wasn't incredibly painful).
They're really quite good for post-op analgesia, although I haven't seen them used outside of proper laparotomies.
Original post by carcinoma
What were the questions like? Anything like progress testing?

That is a little annoying, i'm assuming that they have yet to decide how results will be assessed and feedback given. I think they are using these trials to develop standardisation and marking.

I wasn't impressed by them. Essentially, each scenario gave 5 options, of which all had to be ranked in order of approriateness. Chosing positions 1 and 5 is fairly easy, but apparently it is the differentiation of the middle three that gets most of the marks. On questioning the pilot lead it also turns out that this setup was designed because it matched well with scores from the white space application system.....
Original post by Captain Crash
I wasn't impressed by them. Essentially, each scenario gave 5 options, of which all had to be ranked in order of approriateness. Chosing positions 1 and 5 is fairly easy, but apparently it is the differentiation of the middle three that gets most of the marks. On questioning the pilot lead it also turns out that this setup was designed because it matched well with scores from the white space application system.....

Well so far 1,000 people have completed the pilot. So I am assuming the purpose of the research over then next few years, before its launch will be to test its validity and see if it compare to the white space.
Original post by carcinoma
Well so far 1,000 people have completed the pilot. So I am assuming the purpose of the research over then next few years, before its launch will be to test its validity and see if it compare to the white space.

But my understanding was that they considered the white space questions a valid form of assessment and were therefore matching the scores in the SJ tests to the white space questions. That's the worrying thing - they didn't see the problem with the white space questions; the reason they stated for the change was that they were running out of feasible questions to ask without repeating.

I've said this before, but in all honesty I believe random allocations after preferences have been stated is a much better system than anything allocated. All other systems seem to rely on arbitrary scores not related to medical ability.
Reply 5339
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15773629

It's a long shot but does anyone have access to this? :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending