A UKCAT score of 630 av.
AS grades BBC
GCSE grade 4A* 7A 3B
Work exp in hosp
Volunteering
and other stuff
is it realistic for me to get in to the bm6

Do you meet the eligibility criteria?:

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

First generation applicant to higher education
Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
Looked after young people living in supported accommodation
In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant
Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Your grades and GCSEs are fine, as long as you've done Bio and Chem at A level.

Saying "I've done work experience in a hospital and volunteering" isn't enough to go on. It's not a hoop to jump through, it's for you to assess whether you'd fit in a career like medicine. You must have learned things from these experiences for them to be valid in an application.

If however, you meet all the criteria and your experiences have changed you and you've learnt from them and can express this in a ps, then there is no reason you shouldn't be in with a chance.

Remember that there is an interview as well and that competition is quite fierce so your personal statement needs to be well polished and well done. You also need to be applying for reasons outside of the grades as they don't look too kindly on it being the only reason.

Good luck!
Reply 282
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Hi guys!
I've completed my A levels and got AAA, but I'm limited to where I can apply because my GCSE grades were fairly low and I got a C in my 4th AS, not a B. I'm just wondering if it is wise to apply for the BM6 and the BM5 course. Also, Aberdeen told me that I can't apply there because I had to take an A2 module twice.

If you read the posts that were posted above what you wrote and on the previous pages they explain alot to someone like you who has the required grades to get into standard 5 year courses.

Alot of places don't care about 4th AS levels so I wouldn't worry about that.

What were your GCSE if you don't mind me asking?

What are the reasons why you want to do a foundation course not a standard 5 year course. Just because your GCSE grades are not 'good enough' is not good enough to get in.

Also, the competition is much higher for this course compared to standard 5 year courses, maybe something you should consider.

Have you looked into applying to other courses such as UEA, A2L? Other courses that require higher A-level results but consider lower GCSE?

What other courses/universities are you applying too?

Good luck either way, we are always here for advice and support. :smile:
Original post by BethaneyJ
Do you meet the eligibility criteria?:

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

First generation applicant to higher education
Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
Looked after young people living in supported accommodation
In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant
Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Your grades and GCSEs are fine, as long as you've done Bio and Chem at A level.

Saying "I've done work experience in a hospital and volunteering" isn't enough to go on. It's not a hoop to jump through, it's for you to assess whether you'd fit in a career like medicine. You must have learned things from these experiences for them to be valid in an application.

If however, you meet all the criteria and your experiences have changed you and you've learnt from them and can express this in a ps, then there is no reason you shouldn't be in with a chance.

Remember that there is an interview as well and that competition is quite fierce so your personal statement needs to be well polished and well done. You also need to be applying for reasons outside of the grades as they don't look too kindly on it being the only reason.

Good luck!

Hi, would you be able to say what kind of reasons outside grades? I really want to do medicine and I'm applying to BM5 aswell as BM6. Do you mean reasons from work experience that you put on personal statements and your suitability to the career or do you mean something else specifically different for the BM6 in particular?
Thanks.
Original post by xcoral23
If you read the posts that were posted above what you wrote and on the previous pages they explain alot to someone like you who has the required grades to get into standard 5 year courses.

Alot of places don't care about 4th AS levels so I wouldn't worry about that.

What were your GCSE if you don't mind me asking?

What are the reasons why you want to do a foundation course not a standard 5 year course. Just because your GCSE grades are not 'good enough' is not good enough to get in.

Also, the competition is much higher for this course compared to standard 5 year courses, maybe something you should consider.

Have you looked into applying to other courses such as UEA, A2L? Other courses that require higher A-level results but consider lower GCSE?

What other courses/universities are you applying too?

Good luck either way, we are always here for advice and support. :smile:

Hi,
my GCSEs were AAAABBBB but Bs in science and english language. What is the UEA A2L course? I know there are some places that aren't much concerned about gcses and 4th AS. But they have high UKCAT cut offs unfortunately.

The reason I want to do the BM6 is because you get to have a lot more experience in the medical profession, which is quite difficult to find otherwise really. But I'm also applying to the BM5. Is there any disadvantage for that?
Thanks.
Hi, would you be able to say what kind of reasons outside grades? I really want to do medicine and I'm applying to BM5 aswell as BM6. Do you mean reasons from work experience that you put on personal statements and your suitability to the career or do you mean something else specifically different for the BM6 in particular?
Thanks.

No, that's not it at all. If you research the course you'll see why people apply for it. I can't tell you why you need to apply. You'll not be favoured over someone with BCC because you have AAA, in fact you'll need to argue why you want to do BM6 even more as you're more suited to a 5 year course.

Hi,
my GCSEs were AAAABBBB but Bs in science and english language. What is the UEA A2L course? I know there are some places that aren't much concerned about gcses and 4th AS. But they have high UKCAT cut offs unfortunately.

The reason I want to do the BM6 is because you get to have a lot more experience in the medical profession, which is quite difficult to find otherwise really. But I'm also applying to the BM5. Is there any disadvantage for that?
Thanks.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Lots of uni's will accept these grades. You don't get to have a lot more work experience doing BM6 at all. It's 3 hours, once a fortnight. The work experience you need to apply for uni is not hard to get. You don't need to be in a hospital or anything. Volunteer at a nursing home or blind society/charity.

I think you really need to work and focus on your 5 year applications. Even if you ace the personal statement they'll ask lots of questions at the interview.

I hate to tell anyone negative things as I don't think anyone should be told they can't do it, but I really think you'd be better applying for a 5 year course as you've not given reasons for applying to BM6.
Reply 286

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi,

The degree at UEA is medicine with a foundation year, so is six years and similar to BM6 in that respect. Here's a link with more info: http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/medicine-he...oundation-year

The A2L is the Access to Leeds scheme, it is in addition to your UCAS application.
"Access to Leeds is an alternative admissions scheme that allows us to identify applicants who have the potential to succeed at the University of Leeds but who may not be able to demonstrate their talents through grades alone."

If you're accepted onto the A2L scheme then you receive two offers from Leeds, one will be the standard offer (eg AAA) and the A2L one will be 2 grades or 40 UCAS points lower (eg ABB).
Here's a link: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/PS/a2l_offer.html

Hope this helps a little
Reply 287
I need help, my household income is below the amount but I did not apply to EMA because I never knew about it and when I did find out, they shut it down. My household income is around the £20k mark. Am I still eligible?
A bit off topic but is there a way to get EMA now?
No, that's not it at all. If you research the course you'll see why people apply for it. I can't tell you why you need to apply. You'll not be favoured over someone with BCC because you have AAA, in fact you'll need to argue why you want to do BM6 even more as you're more suited to a 5 year course.

Lots of uni's will accept these grades. You don't get to have a lot more work experience doing BM6 at all. It's 3 hours, once a fortnight. The work experience you need to apply for uni is not hard to get. You don't need to be in a hospital or anything. Volunteer at a nursing home or blind society/charity.

I think you really need to work and focus on your 5 year applications. Even if you ace the personal statement they'll ask lots of questions at the interview.

I hate to tell anyone negative things as I don't think anyone should be told they can't do it, but I really think you'd be better applying for a 5 year course as you've not given reasons for applying to BM6.

I understand what you mean but although I may meet their GCSE minimum requirements, I am still scored on academic achievement in comparison to other candidates as well as the UKCAT. The reason why I wasn't offered an interview the previous year even though my personal statement was good. Personally, I would prefer to do the BM6 course anyway as it would allow me to learn a whole lot more about the medical career and since its only 3 days a week, I can work and save some money which would be very useful.
Reply 289

I beg to differ, getting the work experience sorted was the most difficult part. Phone call after phone call and letter after letter, chasing people up, endless rejections.
Original post by Besakt
I beg to differ, getting the work experience sorted was the most difficult part. Phone call after phone call and letter after letter, chasing people up, endless rejections.

I had a whole load of work experience, and it was not hard to get if you look in the right places!

Phone out of town surgeries (for confidentiality) and ask if they'll take a student (even for a day) - Village surgeries tend to be most relaxed imo.

Contact local charities like hospices/blind societies/children's respite centres. Particularly work with the elderly.

Nursing homes - always happy to have visitors/helpers.

Hospital volunteering - Hospitals my have a volunteering centre. Contact them.

Contact council for volunteering, or civic hall where events for the elderly/disabled are held and ask if they want volunteers.

You don't need a lot, you just need to make sure what you can get you make the most of.

Original post by Besakt
I need help, my household income is below the amount but I did not apply to EMA because I never knew about it and when I did find out, they shut it down. My household income is around the £20k mark. Am I still eligible?

I imagine this would be a personal thing and you'd need to talk to admissions. If you're still at college you can apply now, but I don't think you can apply retrospectively as the cut off used to be the end of term though this may be incorrect now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 291
Original post by Besakt

EMA has been stopped by the government, but I think there's a new introductory system coming in for this year. Admissions like Beth said is your best bet to find out, if you want to apply for the BM6. With your circumstance of a low household income, you should be eligible (well in my opinion)!

:smile:
Reply 292
Hello,
I am applying duiring my gap year, how will my personal statement differ to someone at school? How do I need to structure it and do I tlk about what I am doing in my gap year and my previous experience also?any structural idea and what to emphaise.
Is there any gap year personal statement examples?

Also, is there any reading material that students have to buy or look up? Any books?
Reply 293
Well, it looks like everyone has spoken for me here really... Sorry that I have been away for a little while, I've got a gruesome story to tell you all! Probably the worst experience in my life..

Well, so on the 2nd of September I had my tonsillectomy after waiting 2 years to have it, the surgeons said the operation went well, I went home the same day (I'm type 1 Diabetic) so this was pretty impressive recovery.
So, I was sent home with a bundle of painkillers, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and mouth suspension to help with the pain and recovery. The first few days were sore but I thought I was healing well. Then came about day 8, I caught a scab that had formed. Thinking that it would just fall off, it got infected but unfortunately I was completely unaware of this.

So, day 9 (Sun) I went to the toilet at about 8pm, stood up and a pool of blood fell from my mouth all over the floor and sink (my mum FREAKED), ambulance came out, bleeding stopped, they went, I went to bed. Woke up, bleeding again but not so bad just a trickle down my throat. Rang the ward I stayed on - told me to get in urgently.

Got there (Monday), nice 4 attempts to put the first canula in my hand, finally got one then another 6 attempts with the other. Then 6 attempts of taking blood with my collapsing veins which has left me with black bruises all over my arms. Doc came to see me and said there was a blood clot on my right side and he suctioned it there and then it was disgusting all this blood and puss came through a tube - it was rather painful as well. He then said I should be able to go home but it will either swing two ways; 1) It will get significantly worse or 2) it will be fine.

An hour later he comes in, tells me it is bleeding a little but nothing too bad so I asked if I could go home. He said he's not advising it as it could get worse but I kind of shrugged it off and was considering going, UNTIL, 5 minutes later blood is literally pouring out my mouth, doc comes running back in and I am told I will be staying and be placed on a drip and sliding scale (for diabetes).

According to the nurses, filling up 6 sick dishes with blood in 1 hour is not enough to need to go back into surgery - UNTIL blood clots kept forming in my mouth and I threw up, a whole bowlful of sick and blood clots. This carried on for a good 2 hours when I had gone through 5 bowls just of blood being sick and 8 bowls from it pouring out of my mouth that I was rushed into theatre to stop the bleeding. By this point I was fainting and had lost a massive amount of blood, they had blood ready for a blood transfusion.

So surgery happened, I came out and I had never felt better (well, my throat KILLED) but I have never been so relieved that the bleeding had stopped - I feared for my life and for anyone who reads this that has bled that much before at such a rate would know how I feel. So, last night I thought I would attempt to go to the toilet at hospital - whilst having two canula plugged up to multiple machines with help from a nurse and I collapsed.

Since then/today I have not been able to breathe properly, I can't stand up for longer than a few minutes, I have never felt so weak in my entire life I can barely walk properly, I am extremely pale (more than usual), I am fatigued and dizzy. I was then made aware that my hemoglobin count when I had my initial blood taken came up at 11g/dl. This made me borderline Anemic as the normal for a women is 14g/dl. After my significant bleeding, this dropped to 8.2g/dl - I am now a full blown Anemic suffering pretty badly mainly from the effects of this rather than the painful scabbing ect...

I was meant to have my UKCAT on Thursday and decided that as was 0.2g/dl away from having a blood transfusion 2 days before and the way I feel perhaps I should reschedule, again.

Sorry about the story, just thought i would let you guys no how crap my life is at the moment and I have to handle my type 1 diabetes as well. I'm having a pretty tough time and a bit emotionally drained. I fear so much that I'm going to start bleeding again.

For anyone who is considering a tonsillectomy, these complications are really, really rare so don't let me put you off. Right now I'm not seeing much positive coming from it, but hopefully I will see the benefits in a few months (as long as I get some freaking energy back)..

I'm still not sure that I should have rescheduled my UKCAT.. :/ what an experience..
Original post by mashalli
Hello,
I am applying duiring my gap year, how will my personal statement differ to someone at school? How do I need to structure it and do I tlk about what I am doing in my gap year and my previous experience also?any structural idea and what to emphaise.
Is there any gap year personal statement examples?

There is loads of information on this here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_FAQs including examples.
http://bethaney.co.uk/blog/?p=131 This is my gap-year personal statement too.

You'll probably want to talk about both college and your year, but I didn't really make the distinction between the two.

There is nothing you need to read for applying to BM6 in particular :smile:

Hope this helps at least a little.

Also, is there any reading material that students have to buy or look up? Any books?

Well...

I thought you'd been a little quiet. I hope you're okay! It sounds terrible. Gives you something else to talk about though, especially at interview :P Keep thinking positive and get well soon <3
Reply 295
I thought you'd been a little quiet. I hope you're okay! It sounds terrible. Gives you something else to talk about though, especially at interview :P Keep thinking positive and get well soon <3

It was terrible, I was so scared. But yes, my suffering does give me more to talk about at the interview lol

My throat feels a bit better, I mean it is majorly sore but at least it's not pouring out with blood. I think the extremely low levels of hemoglobin and the Anemia are the worst at the moment because I just feel so drained and life-less with no energy.

I'm meant to start my new job on Monday as well so going to have to speak with them...

It's a tough time at the moment but I've gotta crack on with my PS too. At least I don't have to worry about the UKCAT for a few weeks, I probably would have fallen asleep at the computer screen the way I am at the moment

Thank you hun :smile: I hope so too :redface:
It was terrible, I was so scared. But yes, my suffering does give me more to talk about at the interview lol

My throat feels a bit better, I mean it is majorly sore but at least it's not pouring out with blood. I think the extremely low levels of hemoglobin and the Anemia are the worst at the moment because I just feel so drained and life-less with no energy.

I'm meant to start my new job on Monday as well so going to have to speak with them...

It's a tough time at the moment but I've gotta crack on with my PS too. At least I don't have to worry about the UKCAT for a few weeks, I probably would have fallen asleep at the computer screen the way I am at the moment

Thank you hun :smile: I hope so too :redface:

Silver lining and all. But it['s still an awful thing to have to go through. At least it's now and not at exam times or something. I can't begin to imagine how that must feel, just rest and enjoy being lazy :smile:

They'll understand, it's not something you chose so they can't exactly say anything.

Get well soon and keep us updated.
Reply 297
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask, if you're predicted the entry requirements of BCC, and say the B is predicted in Biology, if you then go on to get an offer of BCC, would the B have to be achieved in biology or doesn't it matter as long as you get BCC overall??? Sorry if this sounds confusing, it's hard to explain what I mean! Thanks :smile:
Reply 298
Original post by tobnot
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask, if you're predicted the entry requirements of BCC, and say the B is predicted in Biology, if you then go on to get an offer of BCC, would the B have to be achieved in biology or doesn't it matter as long as you get BCC overall??? Sorry if this sounds confusing, it's hard to explain what I mean! Thanks :smile:

I get what you mean, don't worry, you said it exactly how most people probably would.

I can't find the evidence, however I recall reading somewhere that a student does not necessarily have to achieve the 'B' grade in Biology or Chemistry. But remember you must study both Biology and Chemistry.

I would, however, email admissions to double check this. Better to be safe than sorry.

Work hard, aim to get the higher grade - challenging yourself is part of living, you should always want to excel yourself and hit your own targets. Believe in yourself!

Welcome to the thread, good luck with your application. If you have any other queries don't hesitate to ask, we are here to help. :biggrin:
I get what you mean, don't worry, you said it exactly how most people probably would.

I can't find the evidence, however I recall reading somewhere that a student does not necessarily have to achieve the 'B' grade in Biology or Chemistry. But remember you must study both Biology and Chemistry.

I would, however, email admissions to double check this. Better to be safe than sorry.

Work hard, aim to get the higher grade - challenging yourself is part of living, you should always want to excel yourself and hit your own targets. Believe in yourself!

Welcome to the thread, good luck with your application. If you have any other queries don't hesitate to ask, we are here to help. :biggrin:

Original post by tobnot
Hi everyone,

Your offer will say what you need so it's unique to each person. For example I had 4 A levels but the offer said I needed the grades in 3 particular subjects rather than any of the 4. But the usual offer is BCC in your subjects but in no particular order. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending