The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

xcoral23
If I could collect a teardrop and put it in a pot and take it to a Pensieve I could show you just how tough my life has been. Over the years I have learnt to deal with situations and work around them - if I didn't I probably would have killed myself a while ago (sorry I don't like making statements like that and I don't mean to offend anyone).

I guess I'm just a strong person - I have my bad days, but who doesn't. After my friend died yesterday it made me realise that atleast I am alive and I've got so much I want to do (right now get into bloody medical school) and have a family when I'm older and stuff - makes you appreciate what you really have :smile:

Sorry that was abit emotional then.. had a tear to my eye.

Thank you for the support, honestly just coming on here and chatting away about Medicine is good enough for me :biggrin:

P.s a Pensieve is the memory machine thing in Harry Potter (I look like such a nerd right now aha)

Oh I know all about pensieves the use of tears... Oh Severus *sniffle*. Harry Potter does not make you a nerd. Harry Potter is amazing.

You must be so strong. I take my hat off to you. You're looking on the positive side which is hard to do right now.

We'll keep chatting the medicine and keep you distracted :P

x
Reply 321
is it true that most people who got in this year had predictions of aab and above?
Original post by 786girl
is it true that most people who got in this year had predictions of aab and above?

Nope :smile:

Though don't forget, colleges are sometimes happy to predict AAA if the student is hoping to do medicine even if they have terrible AS grades.

Someone with AAA will not be preferred over someone with BCC, so even if offer holders were all predicted higher grades, it won't be because of their grades, just coincidence.
Reply 323
do you have to have biology upto A2? Last year when i applied-i didnt have biology upto A2, but they still sent me a form to see if i meet the non-academic criteria but after that they rejected me-though I met all the criterias. So this year i am doing a2 biology (they said i can do that in my gap year).
So just wondering, was i rejected because of my application or did it not even get to that due to me not having biology up to A2?
They did say applicants must have biology and chemistry...but why did they send me a criteria sheet...do you think they didnt mind me not having biology and my application was just not good?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 324
Original post by 786girl

Nope. My predictions were BBBB. Got and offer and i'm going next week :wink:

Original post by mashalli
do you have to have biology upto A2? Last year when i applied-i didnt have biology upto A2, but they still sent me a form to see if i meet the non-academic criteria but after that they rejected me-though I met all the criterias. So this year i am doing a2 biology (they said i can do that in my gap year).
So just wondering, was i rejected because of my application or did it not even get to that due to me not having biology up to A2?
They did say applicants must have biology and chemistry...but why did they send me a criteria sheet...do you think they didnt mind me not having biology and my application was just not good?

They probably sent everyone out a criteria form and then rejected you to do with not having full Biology I suppose or your application wasn't strong enough. Everything should be fine this year as long as you meet the criteria this year and you get Biology, you nail the interview, and we will see you next year! :smile:
Reply 325
Original post by Thepupil

How much work experience/volunteering and extra curricular stuff did you have? What were your GCSEs?
Reply 326
Original post by xcoral23

I agree, it does make you appreciate the work that they do and it will be exciting talking about me bleeding to death last week in an interview aha might lighten the mood abit (IF I get one)

They are pretty impressive considering the situation you were in. I would be really proud of those grades! Not that many people have the ability to study ect without being hand-fed everything and you must be good at self-studying from home now :smile:

C's are not bad at all and you can always pull the marks up this year so I wouldn't stress too much about them. You are predicted the needed grades, just don't make yourself ill trying to do too much or stressing yourself out (I wish I could take my own advice! lol)

Aww, thank you! It was scary, but as BethanyJ said, it's definatly something to talk about at an interview! The worst part is the Anemia now, I just have no energy it's horrible - I'm living off Iron tablets and food full of it (bit boring) but has to be done.

I have re-booked it for the 28th. Have you done it yet?

I'm booked to do the UKCAT next Thursday, but I am no where near ready for it. I'm most likely going to postpone it to the 27th, so I've got another week to practice! :s-smilie:
Reply 327
How has everybody done in their UKCAT?
Reply 328
Original post by tobnot
I'm booked to do the UKCAT next Thursday, but I am no where near ready for it. I'm most likely going to postpone it to the 27th, so I've got another week to practice! :s-smilie:

Meh, it's up to you really. BM6 don't use the UKCAT but if you are applying for other Medicine courses and you feel you are not ready, extend it - why not :smile:
Reply 329

I believe so. Last year I applied and didn't have A2 Chemistry and the admissions tutor said that for me to be in the best position to apply (to compete with others) that I should study Chemistry up to A2 level.

So it quite possibly could have. They send the criteria out to everyone who has applied I believe.

I think you should concentrate on your application this year - stop worrying about the past. You know you are applying with the required grades this year :smile:

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 330
I believe so. Last year I applied and didn't have A2 Chemistry and the admissions tutor said that for me to be in the best position to apply (to compete with others) that I should study Chemistry up to A2 level.

So it quite possibly could have. They send the criteria out to everyone who has applied I believe.

I think you should concentrate on your application this year - stop worrying about the past. You know you are applying with the required grades this year :smile:

Good luck with your application :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
And are you doing your chemistry a2 in your gap year? Good luck:biggrin:
What did you get for your ukcat and what are your grades?
Reply 331
Original post by Thepupil

They probably sent everyone out a criteria form and then rejected you to do with not having full Biology I suppose or your application wasn't strong enough. Everything should be fine this year as long as you meet the criteria this year and you get Biology, you nail the interview, and we will see you next year! :smile:

Hey, i remember pming you alot during summer...how did your biology exam go, i thought you wouldnt come on student room again but glad to hear from you and congratzz for getting the grade for biology:biggrin:
Are you going to put your personal statement on the forum here or pm to people if they ask? What was your ukcat score?
Reply 332
Hey, I got 550 on my ukcat! Has anyone ever got accepted onto bm6 with ukcat below 600 (like ukcat score like mine)
Reply 333

Hey, I got 550 on my ukcat! Has anyone ever got accepted onto bm6 with ukcat below 600 (like ukcat score like mine)

southampton dont use the ukcat for selecting for bm6 i think
Reply 334

Hey :smile:

I got below 600 on my UKCAT and I still got an offer/interview. They dont really look on the UKCAT for BM6 :smile:
-x-

How are you?
Reply 336

Hey, yeah I don't think BM6 use it for selection. Do you have any tips? I've got mine on Thursday :s-smilie:
Reply 337
Original post by tobnot
Hey, yeah I don't think BM6 use it for selection. Do you have any tips? I've got mine on Thursday :s-smilie:

I did good on the AR, this just requires a load of practice most patterns you will see again from practice questions.
QR, I did okay on this, guess and flag questions you think will take too long and answer the easy ones.
VR, look for key words in question then skim read text and see if you can find the key words, if unsure guess, flag and move on.
I did crap in DA so cannot give you any advice on this. DA was like a mind-fu*k "negative negative positive green car) What the hell does that mean? :angry:
Original post by Tzarchasm
I'll be applying here again. Got AAB with 2 UMS away from an A* in bio and 3 UMS away from an A in chemistry so now I'm obviously screwed for normal medicine.

get a remark! worth a shot, and also a lot of uni's will consider applications from people AAB for their 5 year courses, so worth taking a look, you never know until you try :smile:
Reply 339
Original post by Besakt

Original post by Besakt
I did good on the AR, this just requires a load of practice most patterns you will see again from practice questions.
QR, I did okay on this, guess and flag questions you think will take too long and answer the easy ones.
VR, look for key words in question then skim read text and see if you can find the key words, if unsure guess, flag and move on.
I did crap in DA so cannot give you any advice on this. DA was like a mind-fu*k "negative negative positive green car) What the hell does that mean? :angry:

Thanks for that :smile:

Haha yeah I know how annoying DA is just by the practice questions I've been doing. Did you ever use the 600 practice questions book while preparing? Because I've heard a few people saying the questions in the actual test are not as testing.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending