The Student Room Group

VERY low predicted grades....

Despite achieving A's and A* at GCSE, my AS results were absolutely dreadful. I got DDE in Physics, Maths and Chemistry respectively. There are 2 reasons why I didn't do as well as I had hoped, lack of revision and lack of exam technique. I KNOW I can do better if I deactivate facebook and get my head down! Unfortunately my predicted grades for A2 are CCD, and the course I was hoping to apply for, Physics and Astrophysics at Uni of B'ham, requires A*AA :frown:

Although I'm retaking specific modules from AS, I doubt I'll get offers from ANY good uni for this type of course. However, Physics/Astrophysics is my strongest subject and I don't want to drop it and pick something easier.

So my question is, should I take a gap-year after A2 and then re-apply in 2013? Are there any other alternatives? :confused:
With DDE, if you're planning on applying to a university that requires A's, I'd say re-sit year 12 and apply next year. The grades they predicted you are realistic, a university isn't going to think it's realistic if they say you would get A*AA after you just got DDE.
Not a chance in hell of being accepted by Birmingham. Please resit the year.
I have no advice, but I appreciate you owning up to the fact that you didn't put in as much work as you could have and didn't play the 'depression' card I see oh too often on this site. Kudos to you, best of luck.
Original post by subzero0137
Despite achieving A's and A* at GCSE, my AS results were absolutely dreadful. I got DDE in Physics, Maths and Chemistry respectively. There are 2 reasons why I didn't do as well as I had hoped, lack of revision and lack of exam technique. I KNOW I can do better if I deactivate facebook and get my head down! Unfortunately my predicted grades for A2 are CCD, and the course I was hoping to apply for, Physics and Astrophysics at Uni of B'ham, requires A*AA :frown:

Although I'm retaking specific modules from AS, I doubt I'll get offers from ANY good uni for this type of course. However, Physics/Astrophysics is my strongest subject and I don't want to drop it and pick something easier.

So my question is, should I take a gap-year after A2 and then re-apply in 2013? Are there any other alternatives? :confused:

I can offer you no other sensible advice than to resit the entire year.

I think you've been caught out by complacency and a belief that if you did well at GCSE then surely you'll do well at AS.

I'd suggest you work a whole load harder, that's your problem. You don't work hard enough. You need to become disciplined.
I agree with resiting the year, but I know this isn't always possible. I know some of my friends were only allowed to resit because they only passed 2 Alevels, and it may be a bit late to make that choice now. I would do as well as you can this year, and consider a gap year with resits, applying for 2013 entry if you really want to aim high. You could also use 2012 to earn some money, as savings are always a nice thing to have at uni, especially if you are only resiting some modules.
Original post by TheBritishBloke
With DDE, if you're planning on applying to a university that requires A's, I'd say re-sit year 12 and apply next year. The grades they predicted you are realistic, a university isn't going to think it's realistic if they say you would get A*AA after you just got DDE.

I agree.
Your preedicted grades are realistic, based on the grades you got at AS. I doubt any unis will offer you a place based on your predicted grades, so id either resit year 12 again, or resit modues like you where going to and take a gap year (and apply to uni for 2013).

Ultimately retake the year. This may not be an option for you and isn't for me either.

Similar to me, I got BCC for Chemistry Maths and Physics at AS. I thought I would be predicted AAB but I'm told I'll be predicted BBB/BCB and minimum requirement for my course, Natural Sciences is AAA. I'm aiming A*AA.

Don't let it get you down, get 100% in class tests, constantly go to your teachers for help on homework and the futhur reading you're doing. Double the time and effort on your 3 A2s, start revising for retakes mid-october?

I'm most likely not getting any offers this year. I really want to go to UCL which requires AAA. I'll still apply, and if you don't mind taking a gap year you can apply after A2s when you have the grades.

Thats what I'm doing :wink:
deactivating facebook = logging out of facebook (in the mind of an addict).

All you need to do is log back in to reactivate it!

best solution is to delete it if it is interrupting your studies.
Reply 9
Original post by HollowPointSmile
Ultimately retake the year. This may not be an option for you and isn't for me either.

Well, that's what everyone is advising me to do, but it's too late for that now. I've enrolled onto my A2 courses, and I can only re-take the modules from AS instead of doing the whole of AS year again.

I guess I'll have to take a gap-year and re-apply in 2013. Nevertheless I'm positive that I'll get the grades this time, since I'm going to revise like hell. Thanks for the advice, and good luck with your the uni application for Natural Sciences! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by House Dagoth

best solution is to delete it if it is interrupting your studies.

How do I delete it? :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by ritchie888
I have no advice, but I appreciate you owning up to the fact that you didn't put in as much work as you could have and didn't play the 'depression' card I see oh too often on this site.

I know! Some people on this site are so depressed and suicidal! Jeez, it's not the end of the world people :tongue:

"Kudos to you, best of luck."

I know! Some people on this site are so depressed and suicidal! Jeez, it's not the end of the world people :tongue:

"Kudos to you, best of luck."

Personally I don't think they are 'depressed'. It's a term thrown around WAY too much. Basically they ****ed up and needed something to blame it on.

You took the high road.
I did 'okay' at Core modules, but M1 pwned me. :frown:

You are not going to get into uni this year with those grades (sorry), but I am not sure whetherf re-doing the whole yr is a good option
I think some unis really look down on it, as they want you to finish the A level in two years. But I'm not sure and you should ask them.
I'd personally of worked hard in the summer, revise the AS stuff, and redo half the AS module retakes in Jan, the other half in June.
I'd retake year 12 if I were you It'd make your life much easier
Reply 15
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
I'd retake year 12 if I were you It'd make your life much easier

I've missed the opportunity to re-take AS, so I guess I'll just have to take a gap year after A2.
I agree with the resitting a year. I was the same for AS, I underestimated the leap from GCSE and so I was doing the minimal work, had poor exam technique and I was spending more time on TSR and facebook than I was on my homework alone. I came out with poor grades and promised myself I would get As but it was just too impossible with the low A-level grades. I made up for it in resits and raised my grade, but because I was trying so hard with the low grade subjects, I neglected my B subject and came out with an overall D for the full A-level. Looking back, I should have resat the year and had I have done that, there is no reason why I couldn't have gained As and Bs. It really is tough trying to raise your grades that high, and I saw it with students in the year below me too - one applying for law, underestimated the leap and came out with CDEU at AS and still expected to be able to raise that to AAB/ABB. If you've missed the opportunity, have a meeting with your head of year and see if other colleges are still enrolling.
(edited 12 years ago)
At least you're honest about why you didn't do so well and didn't claim you were depressed or stressed out or something like loads of other people do. I would strongly suggest resitting the year and reapplying for 2013 entry, there is no way you will get a place onto a course asking for A*AA. It's just not realistic.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending