The Student Room Group

MSc Physiotherapy (pre-reg) Jan 2012 start

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by helenjean

Hi
I have just accepted an unconditional offer for this course at MMU starting in Jan. Is anyone else going there? Im looking for people on the course. What are you all doing about accommodation?

Im excited and nervous!

Hey,
I've just accepted a place at MMU too. I was also wondering what people were going to do about accommodation, not sure whether to get a flat or see if people wanted to get together to get a house. What are you thinking of doing?
Reply 41
Original post by S.F.B.
Hey,
I've just accepted a place at MMU too. I was also wondering what people were going to do about accommodation, not sure whether to get a flat or see if people wanted to get together to get a house. What are you thinking of doing?

Hi!
I was pretty much thinking of getting a flat but wondering about house shares or something. or just being in the same area ish! fairly sure that normal halls are out of the question being as they are only 42 week contracts!
We should start a facebook group!
:smile:
Reply 42
Hi!
I was pretty much thinking of getting a flat but wondering about house shares or something. or just being in the same area ish! fairly sure that normal halls are out of the question being as they are only 42 week contracts!
We should start a facebook group!
:smile:

Finally someone that is going MMU in Jan!!! Im looking for a room to rent in manchester but no one is advertising yet so i was going to wait until mid - end November. i will inbox u my fb info!
Reply 43
Hi Guys,

I'd really appreciate your help. I'm currently in third year studying sport science and I am looking to progress my study onto the MSc in Physiotherapy but need some advice.

1. For acceptance onto the course is a 1st absolutely essential or if I get a 2:1 could I still be accepted.
2. How much experience will I need. I already have a weeks experience in a hospital setting will I need more and possibly in a private clinic?
3. If I don't base my dissertation on something regarded as being in the 'physiotherapy area' will it hurt my chances of getting in?

Thanks for your help it will be really appreciated even if you just give me what you have done to get acceptance onto the course x
Reply 44
Original post by Janne_87

Original post by Janne_87
Good luck!!

Hi Janne,
I hope you are doing well!
I was accepted into MMU as well. There are a few things I need to consider before making my final decision as the course structues in the UK are different from SA.
Do you maybe know how many people are in the class and if the course at MMU has a good reputation?
Thanks so much!!
Reply 45
Original post by Binks
Hi Janne,
I hope you are doing well!
I was accepted into MMU as well. There are a few things I need to consider before making my final decision as the course structues in the UK are different from SA.
Do you maybe know how many people are in the class and if the course at MMU has a good reputation?
Thanks so much!!

Hello! Well the thing with the course in the uk is that they are all pretty much the same.... they have to follow the CSP and meet certain requirements so thats why no matter which uni u do it at it will be the same course content. the only thing that might differ is the teaching. I am going to MMU because i liked the staff that interviewed me and i liked that its alot of PBL (problem based learning - working in groups etc) but at the end of the day its up to u and where you felt most comfortable? have you gotten in anywhere else? what are your options? thats also something to think about..... hope thats helpful!

Janne
Reply 46
I have also been accepted to MMU for jan 2012 start, looking forward to it!!:smile:
Reply 47
I have been offered places at both Leeds Met and Univ of Brighton , I am from Canada so I don't know much abt the reputation , course structure of these Univ's. Any help please :frown:
Reply 48
Hi all

I have started looking into the MSc for Physiotherapy for Jan 2013. I would like to apply to Birmingham, Leeds met, Manc met.

Those that got an offer at Birmingham- how much experience did you need or they ask for before you got an offer?

I have a BSc in Medical Sciences but graduated in 2007 so been out of education for a while.

Can anyone offer any advice?

I currently work in a clinical environment but work for the industry selling and training clincians on medical devices.

Well done to all that got places as I know it is V competitive

Thanks
Reply 49
Hello iv applied for Leeds teeside Essex manch met and kings London for 2013 entry is anyone at these universities? Can anyone offer any advice on which uni would be best and how long it takes them to get back to you following your application?

Thanks folks :smile:
Reply 50
Hi all,

I've applied to a few uni's for the MSc 2013 start... and I've got interview later this month for Birmingham and Kings!!!!!

I was hoping anybody could share advice on this... and by the looks of it there is a demand for advice!

Thanks all :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by KPhysio
Hi all,

I've applied to a few uni's for the MSc 2013 start... and I've got interview later this month for Birmingham and Kings!!!!!

I was hoping anybody could share advice on this... and by the looks of it there is a demand for advice!

Thanks all :smile:

hi,

im applying for courses and very nervous about interviews when did you send in your applications? have you got much experience?

Thanks
Ciaran
Reply 52
Hi guys, I am going back to education as a mature student and have an offer to do sports rehab. I am going about getting a dual degree, im going down the route of doing sports rehab to achieve a 2:1 honors to enter pre reg physiotherapy.

My question is, to do pre reg physio will the unis only require the 2:1 as entry requirements or will they want English and maths a levels/ Irish leaving cert also?
Reply 53
Original post by Ciaranl87
hi,

im applying for courses and very nervous about interviews when did you send in your applications? have you got much experience?

Thanks
Ciaran

Hi!

I sent my applications between January and March. I had a total of 4 days experience in the NHS shadowing physio's and worked in a disability setting for almost 3 years... So i felt that probably swung it my way for interview offers.

I've got 2 interviews coming up and haven't heard from the other few I've applied to.

Where have you applied, do you have any interviews coming up?

I'm extremely nervous too... I was hoping somebody could calm me down with some good advice!!!!

Karsh :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by DavidR399
Hi guys, I am going back to education as a mature student and have an offer to do sports rehab. I am going about getting a dual degree, im going down the route of doing sports rehab to achieve a 2:1 honors to enter pre reg physiotherapy.

My question is, to do pre reg physio will the unis only require the 2:1 as entry requirements or will they want English and maths a levels/ Irish leaving cert also?

Hi mate...

Remember, you have to convince the physio guys that you are interested in healthcare, not sport. If the NHS are funding your study they want to make sure you will contribute to healthcare and thats the view taken in the interview by the sounds of things.

There are some requirements to get a 2:1 or above for most uni's but you would have to explain your case to the universities individually. If you can do that whilst building a rapport with the admissions tutor then you've got one foot in the door.

They prefer A-levels in science - biology in particular... and GCSE english and maths... but again, if you can explain your case to them they can explain what you will need and work around it for you to apply!

Hope this helps

Reply 55
Original post by KPhysio
Hi mate...

Remember, you have to convince the physio guys that you are interested in healthcare, not sport. If the NHS are funding your study they want to make sure you will contribute to healthcare and thats the view taken in the interview by the sounds of things.

There are some requirements to get a 2:1 or above for most uni's but you would have to explain your case to the universities individually. If you can do that whilst building a rapport with the admissions tutor then you've got one foot in the door.

They prefer A-levels in science - biology in particular... and GCSE english and maths... but again, if you can explain your case to them they can explain what you will need and work around it for you to apply!

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice, Im half thinking of taking a year out now and going down the physio first route, i have to do english and maths leaving cert though at grade c to get into physio, by doing it this way i wont have to pay the large tuition fees i would for sports rehab but it means turning down sports rehab offer and taking a risk on getting into physio next year, plus ill be 29 by the time i start physio then, such a dilemma!!!!
Reply 56
Original post by DavidR399
Thanks for the advice, Im half thinking of taking a year out now and going down the physio first route, i have to do english and maths leaving cert though at grade c to get into physio, by doing it this way i wont have to pay the large tuition fees i would for sports rehab but it means turning down sports rehab offer and taking a risk on getting into physio next year, plus ill be 29 by the time i start physio then, such a dilemma!!!!

I completely understand what you're going through.

They might suggest you take the BSc in Physiotherapy - in which case you might want to consider part time study. They like mature students on most BSc courses... plus if you go part time you can still earn - otherwise you will be studying for 3 more years full time.

In your position I would prepare applications for both BSc and MSc courses, and think about who will supply your references. Try and speak directly to admissions teams/tutors regularly and maybe try and arrange time to visit the departments of the universities you are thinking of going to.

With a year out, you should have time to do this stuff and show your commitment through experience to the profession.

Hope this helps!
Karsh
Reply 57
Hi everyone,

I got a conditional offer through from Birmingham yesterday for the January 2013 start! Anyone else applying/got an offer from there??
Reply 58
Hi guys!

i just made a new thread for all Jan 2013 Physiotherapy pre reg starters would be good if use could post helpful tips on there thanks :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Rob Physio
Hi everyone,

I got a conditional offer through from Birmingham yesterday for the January 2013 start! Anyone else applying/got an offer from there??

Congratulations!

I've just got an offer from UEA to start February 2013!

How's everybody else got on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending