The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Has anyone got access to this paper please?

Why does bone matrix contain non-collagenous proteins? The possible roles of osteocalcin, osteonectin, osteopontin and bone sialoprotein in bone mineralisation and resorption. Roach, Cell Biology International (1994) 18, 617–628

Hi

Managed to get it. Have saved the pdf so I'll send you a pm. :wink:
We learn the anatomy relevant to the specialties/systems that we're learning about that year. Which means that (afaik) we learn some anatomy over all 5 years. Makes it much easier to remember, as it's not all in one go, and it means you can learn what's clinically relevant :yep:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
We learn the anatomy relevant to the specialties/systems that we're learning about that year. Which means that (afaik) we learn some anatomy over all 5 years. Makes it much easier to remember, as it's not all in one go, and it means you can learn what's clinically relevant :yep:

Yeah that's how we are doing it. It's much less dry and its good for integrating it with clinical knowledge.

May be a more efficient way of learning. Much better suited to a spiral course though. Not completely knowing systemic anatomy until final year = even more cumulative abuse from consultants about how little anatomy I know.

(and we still learn what's clinically relevant! :tongue: )

But having said it's an efficient way of learning, I'm not sure it's necessarily the best way. Arguably learning (and maybe forgetting...) it all together makes you appreciate the body as one fluid, interdependent jigsaw, rather than adding one detailed piece at a time. Arguably this is BS.

*An epiphanic (and rather simplistic) aside from earlier this term: I'm on a resp firm, but so many causes of respiratory disease/failure are non-specific to resp. Looking at the whole picture was a recurrent theme in pre-clinical. However, major tunnel-vision to begin with!
(edited 12 years ago)
Lulz, I thought so! A few big dawg lecturers mentioned it, and it stuck with me. They also emphasised it when they said they could drop content into exams that wasn't module-specific.
:lol: I hear you on the ?not learning what I think I should be/as much as I think I should be btw, and just not knowing how to spend my time in general. Though I'm getting better at knowing when to hang around and when to go home and K&C it (as opposed to doing nothing).

/MDT essay procrastination
(edited 12 years ago)
We learn the anatomy relevant to the specialties/systems that we're learning about that year.

To be fair I think that's a general theme amongst most schools.

Which means that (afaik) we learn some anatomy over all 5 years. Makes it much easier to remember, as it's not all in one go, and it means you can learn what's clinically relevant :yep:

I suspect, whether intended or not, I'll also learn some anatomy in all five years based on the minimal, insufficient amount I know now!
Original post by Kinkerz

Original post by Kinkerz
I suspect, whether intended or not, I'll also learn some anatomy in all five years based on the minimal, insufficient amount I know now!

You know what I meant :grumble: It means that not all the anatomy I need to know is crammed into the first 1 or 2 years :hmpf:
You know what I meant :grumble: It means that not all the anatomy I need to know is crammed into the first 1 or 2 years :hmpf:

I know nothing about anything.
The breath of my anatomy extends to hand, foot and head - thats as technical as i get.
I have another assessment soon and i know nothing absolutely nothing for that either. Infact I even forgot where my placement was the other day and got the wrong bus to the wrong placement.
I think i may be loosing my marbles.

It was me groaning about my pitiful anatomy (which is my own fault...) rather than being pedantic about your point!
Original post by SabreT
This. I've only been in medical school 28 days and I'm finding anatomy terribly tough. And Cambridge is apparently one of the best for anatomy teaching. Does every medical school make you learn everything apart from neuroanatomy in 1st year? It seems to move too fast to actually take anything in :frown:

Cambridge has a nasty habit of teaching you anatomy to a ridiculous level - the level you learn is the level required for MRCS exams. Early on I found anatomy tough, particularly because you spend first term doing relatively boring stuff like the arms and legs. However, once you've got over the learning curve it becomes much easier (and IMO much more fun than Biochemistry and Physiology).
Right, I'd better actually start revising for this GI test on tuesday.
Reply 6332
Original post by billet-doux
Thanks. It literally is feeling so long already and we've only just finished the anatomy! How's final year going? If you dont mind me asking- did you intercalate?

It does feel like forever - the novelty of being in medical school has worn off, but the really interesting stuff hasn't started yet, so it just seems like day after endless day of lectures stretching before you...

Don't panic, it will end! Like I said, just keep ploughing through it.

Final year's going fine so far, thanks; I'm in GP for the first rotation which is interesting but can be a bit isolating as you're all in different places. F1 applications are over and done with too so I can relax (sort of) until the allocations are announced in December. And yes, I intercalated between second and third years.
(edited 12 years ago)
I just found the best ipod application for people who have a visual memory for differential diagnosis (picturingMed) it was taking me forever to try and draw these things myself - thankyou technology. Does anyone know any good ones for management - has to be completely visual memory orientated.
Original post by fairy spangles
I just found the best ipod application for people who have a visual memory for differential diagnosis (picturingMed) it was taking me forever to try and draw these things myself - thankyou technology. Does anyone know any good ones for management - has to be completely visual memory orientated.

Whats the name of the app? They have some pretty awesome apps like 3D brain. Get Medscape, its really good! MedCalc is also good for scoring stuff like the GCS. I downloaded another one for radiology, basically has CT scans but when you scroll up and down you move through the CT scan through the windows. (I've forgotten all the terminology!)
Any good android apps floating about?
Listening to Placebo because I'm a 12 year old goth.
Reply 6337
How do I get the passion back?
Original post by lekky
How do I get the passion back?

You don't.
Reply 6339
Original post by Kinkerz
You don't.

:sigh:

Latest

Trending

Trending