The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ivanka
Thank you! I tried to access it via some random page :redface:

PS. they have about a 2 month waiting list just for an assessment and then there's another 2/3 month wait after that :rolleyes:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1721
Original post by Noodlzzz
PS. they have about a 2 month waiting list just for an assessment and then there's another 2/3 month wait after that :rolleyes:

Fuuuuu... Really hard to describe my feelings.
Original post by Ivanka
Fuuuuu... Really hard to describe my feelings.

Sucks right? If you ever want to talk feel free to PM, I know it's not quite the same but still...
Reply 1723

The assessment is needs-based - this is probably incredibly telling about my mental state, but I got an assessment that was about two weeks after I referred myself :yep: I now have another appointment that's about a month after the first assessment. I'd imagine I could have got it quicker were I in a crisis.

What the mental health guy said to me was to remember that not everyone who's referred themselves to that service will actually need it to the same degree. Some of them will just miss their mum or something - regular student worries that will probably go away with time. Some of them will have practical problems that could be more easily sorted out by talking to their department or academic help services. Not everyone on their huge waiting list will be at as much risk as everyone else. This is why the form asks for things like preexisting conditions and how long you've felt this way - it's so they can identify people who are desperate, and give them the sooner appointments :smile: So if you stress how you're feeling when you write it down, and you really are desperate and not making an appointment on the offchance, I'd strongly suspect that waiting time will be shorter.
Original post by kerily
The assessment is needs-based - this is probably incredibly telling about my mental state, but I got an assessment that was about two weeks after I referred myself :yep: I now have another appointment that's about a month after the first assessment. I'd imagine I could have got it quicker were I in a crisis.

What the mental health guy said to me was to remember that not everyone who's referred themselves to that service will actually need it to the same degree. Some of them will just miss their mum or something - regular student worries that will probably go away with time. Some of them will have practical problems that could be more easily sorted out by talking to their department or academic help services. Not everyone on their huge waiting list will be at as much risk as everyone else. This is why the form asks for things like preexisting conditions and how long you've felt this way - it's so they can identify people who are desperate, and give them the sooner appointments :smile: So if you stress how you're feeling when you write it down, and you really are desperate and not making an appointment on the offchance, I'd strongly suspect that waiting time will be shorter.

Is it? I wrote that I am frequently suicidal and some other lovely things along those lines and they put me down for 7 weeks... haha.
Reply 1725
Is it? I wrote that I am frequently suicidal and some other lovely things along those lines and they put me down for 7 weeks... haha.

You are joking? :eek: That's ridiculous. What do they even expect you to do? Just not kill yourself for 7 weeks?

I went to see the mental health guy in the disability office (he's absolutely lovely and I would really, really recommend it if you need someone to talk to) and he did say that my previous diagnosis of mental health problems would have bumped me up the list. What he said about waiting times doesn't really correlate with your experience though :s-smilie:
Reply 1726
Sucks right? If you ever want to talk feel free to PM, I know it's not quite the same but still...

Thank you! When I'm done with today's procrastination, I'll write it...

Original post by kerily

That sounds positive. If it's true, I think I'm likely to be given a priority.

It still sounds scary how many people are dealing with problems...but then, at the same time, one actually doesn't feel that ashamed of themselves as they know there are more people feeling the same.
Original post by kerily
You are joking? :eek: That's ridiculous. What do they even expect you to do? Just not kill yourself for 7 weeks?

I went to see the mental health guy in the disability office (he's absolutely lovely and I would really, really recommend it if you need someone to talk to) and he did say that my previous diagnosis of mental health problems would have bumped me up the list. What he said about waiting times doesn't really correlate with your experience though :s-smilie:

If it is needs based I might email them and ask for something sooner, my GP was rather worried about the waiting time too. I wouldn't be surprised if I get reply along the lines of 'just don't kill yourself for 7 weeks' :tongue:
Reply 1728
Original post by kerily

Eek, so I should rethink my previous post :s-smilie: The only thing I can think of is that a massive amount of suicidal students have applied.
Reply 1729
I've just found I won't be able to choose Portuguese next year as my elective departmental subject :facepalm:

This sucks a bit as there are only literature- or film-based seminars as options otherwise and, to be honest, I don't like these subjects related to literature and films. (You may ask why I decided to study this degree then - I really knew about this before, but decided to for the subject even in spite of this, thinking, "oh well, just a few subjects, you really can't love the whole degree content".)
Reply 1730
Original post by Ivanka
I've just found I won't be able to choose Portuguese next year as my elective departmental subject :facepalm:

This sucks a bit as there are only literature- or film-based seminars as options otherwise and, to be honest, I don't like these subjects related to literature and films. (You may ask why I decided to study this degree then - I really knew about this before, but decided to for the subject even in spite of this, thinking, "oh well, just a few subjects, you really can't love the whole degree content".)

I had a similar sort of 'awwwww...' moment when I found out that I couldn't do a language course at SEESS to fulfill my language requirement :frown: Don't get me wrong, I love German and I'm happy doing a full module of it, but I would ideally have liked to do half a module of German and half a module of beginner's Russian - which I can't do because that's SEESS and not the language centre.

Could you ask your department if there's ever a way around it? :smile:
Reply 1731
Original post by kerily
I had a similar sort of 'awwwww...' moment when I found out that I couldn't do a language course at SEESS to fulfill my language requirement :frown: Don't get me wrong, I love German and I'm happy doing a full module of it, but I would ideally have liked to do half a module of German and half a module of beginner's Russian - which I can't do because that's SEESS and not the language centre.

Could you ask your department if there's ever a way around it? :smile:

I'll try to :ahee:
The norm for S&LAS at UCL unfortunately. Absolutely everything relates to lit. No intro course on González, Aznar, Zapatero and co, no way.
Reply 1733
Isn't that the whole of SELCS, not just S&LAS? I know the French department is either Lit, history through the literature of the period or maybe one contemporary culture course if you're lucky...

And **** me, I hate my Year Abroad. I'm going to fail everything. But what would UCL even do about it? Make me retake my erasmus?
Anyone feel depressed at the sheer amount of work?

RAWRRRRRRRR
Reply 1735
Original post by Lizia
Isn't that the whole of SELCS, not just S&LAS? I know the French department is either Lit, history through the literature of the period or maybe one contemporary culture course if you're lucky...

And **** me, I hate my Year Abroad. I'm going to fail everything. But what would UCL even do about it? Make me retake my erasmus?

I don't think so, I've heard of some German and Dutch linguistic courses...and, besides, ELCS courses are much more varied.

Can you change your place somehow without retaking the year?
Original post by Ultimate1
Anyone feel depressed at the sheer amount of work?

RAWRRRRRRRR

I feel depressed by the growing realisation that I'm not actually clever enough for the work, have pretty much coasted my way through thus far, and am going to fail horribly after the first term.

This is what I get for talking to second years.

Damn Analysis homework.
Original post by TheAngryMongoose
I feel depressed by the growing realisation that I'm not actually clever enough for the work, have pretty much coasted my way through thus far, and am going to fail horribly after the first term.

Damn Analysis homework.

Don't worry brah, you're not gonna fail. TBH I just cannot be asked for the sheer amount of work we get but I will be motivated for the exams.

BTW don't worry about the analysis h/wks. Some of the 2nd years I talked to say that Analysis exam isn't really that hard and is going to be easier than the H/wk sheets we get.....apparently.

Unless they're trolling me :hmmm:
Reply 1738
Original post by Ivanka
Can you change your place somehow without retaking the year?

Changing my place wouldn't help. I'm going to fail because I can't understand the lectures, reading the books takes me about an hour to read five pages, and all the exams are oral so there's the language barrier to overcome on top of the actually learning stuff.

The social life is great, I love the city, but I ****ing hate uni and I just want to cry every time I think about going to lectures.
Reply 1739
Original post by TheAngryMongoose

Damn Analysis homework.

I'm having exactly the same existential struggle with exactly the same analysis sheet :teehee:

Original post by Ultimate1
Don't worry brah, you're not gonna fail. TBH I just cannot be asked for the sheer amount of work we get but I will be motivated for the exams.

BTW don't worry about the analysis h/wks. Some of the 2nd years I talked to say that Analysis exam isn't really that hard and is going to be easier than the H/wk sheets we get.....apparently.

Unless they're trolling me :hmmm:

Are you a maths person too? :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending