The Student Room Group

choosing alevel subjects! economics?

hey guys!!

i'm about to start applying to sixth forms shortly, and i'd like some recommendations from you with regards to the subjects i want to study.

okay so i've run various prosperous businesses myself for about 5 years, and i've taken business studies GCSE (still taking modules) and in my first modular exam i got an A and im predicted A* overall grade. i'm predicted all As and A*s for GCSE except for the slim possibility of one B. im taking 11 gcses.

i'd like to study economics at university and at A level. what other subjects should i take in combination with economics?

i was thinking maybe:

option 1: economics, biology, geography, mathematics
option 2: economics, computing, mathematics, english
option 3: economics, mathematics, computing, geography
option 4: economics, mathematics, physics, computing.

in my GCSE physics i scored A*, maths is predicted overall A, ICT predicted overall A/A* (my past businesses were all internet based), business studies predicted overall A/A*, biology mock exam A*, predicted overall A/A*. i'm taking biology as a separate subject with physics under core and additional science.

with those GCSEs do you think i can get into a good sixth form to study these subjects and one of the top 10 uni's for economics? prompt replies very much appreciated! thanks so much!!
I'm choosing my A levels as well at the moment and to me Option 2 seems the best. Economics and Maths compliment each other very well and I assume computing does aswell but that's not offered as a choice at my six form. English is good for showing diversity, I.e. You have different talents aswell.
But in the end of the day, you're best of choosing subjects that YOU enjoy, for economics I'd say that an a level in economics and maths would be useful but the other two are just down to what you enjoy and what you think you can achieve in.
Hope that helped :smile:
Well I'd definitely take Maths and Economics. To be honest, the other subjects you've selected would all be acceptable, they're all well-respected (maybe don't choose computing, it's not that well repected). Just choose the ones you enjoy most. I'd choose option 1 personally, it gives you a nice, varied, well-respected selection of subjects.

Is "English" literature or language or both?
Reply 3
Original post by Tobia
hey guys!!

i'm about to start applying to sixth forms shortly, and i'd like some recommendations from you with regards to the subjects i want to study.

okay so i've run various prosperous businesses myself for about 5 years, and i've taken business studies GCSE (still taking modules) and in my first modular exam i got an A and im predicted A* overall grade. i'm predicted all As and A*s for GCSE except for the slim possibility of one B. im taking 11 gcses.

i'd like to study economics at university and at A level. what other subjects should i take in combination with economics?

i was thinking maybe:

option 1: economics, biology, geography, mathematics
option 2: economics, computing, mathematics, english
option 3: economics, mathematics, computing, geography
option 4: economics, mathematics, physics, computing.

in my GCSE physics i scored A*, maths is predicted overall A, ICT predicted overall A/A* (my past businesses were all internet based), business studies predicted overall A/A*, biology mock exam A*, predicted overall A/A*. i'm taking biology as a separate subject with physics under core and additional science.

with those GCSEs do you think i can get into a good sixth form to study these subjects and one of the top 10 uni's for economics? prompt replies very much appreciated! thanks so much!!

Stick Further Maths into Option 1 instead of Biology and your on to a winner. Even without. I'd say Option 1 is the one I would pick given the choice. Geography is really nice as you can easily get top marks.

EDIT: Haters Gon' Hate. 7/10 people got As in Geography AS at my school with a couple of those As being full UMS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Defiantly option 4 those are the subjects I have been thinking about after advice in forums :smile:
Reply 5
thank you so much guys! you were all a big help! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest