The Student Room Group

Streaming a film online (not downloading).

Hi all

Ok, we all know watching live tv without a tv licence is illegal.

You can things on i player etc without a licence legally.

Download films (unles you have bought it legally of i tunes or something or it is a free release) is illegal. For both the downloader and distributer.

What i want to know, is hwat about streaming a film (or tv show, family guy, American dad etc), is that illigal for the viewer.

Can somebody who knows for a fact please answer this and if it is illegal for the viewer find me the exact law that states it is illegal.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's illegal...

...run quick!
Reply 2
Original post by gridlock
It's illegal...

...run quick!

What part of the law says that?
I think it must be legal, i spent hours and hours seearching on the internet a while ago to find somewhere where it said it was illegal and i couldnt so it must be. Something cannot be illegal if noone can find out if it is. A lot of the websites i have used in the past to watch tv/movies have been taken down for hosting movies that are in the cinema but ive never heard of a viewer being in breach of the law. Also lots of websites i use that only host tv shows have lots of adverts from reputable companies and can be found on search engines and have a disclaimer to say they host links not the shows so arent in breach on the law. They have been around for years and not being taken down.

Also a lot of videos are on websites such as videoweed and videobb which also host clips so how can someone tell what you are watching anyway.

SO i dont have proof and couldnt fnd any but i highly doubt that is illegal.
Reply 4
Haha I think its illegal but not as frowned and scorned upon as actual downloading movies so thats what I mainly do nowadays and when I'm back home download movies their.
Reply 5
Depends on the site.
Site which stream films need licenses to do so, if they don't and you stream a film from the site, it's illegal.
If it's copyrighted material then it's illegal, and unless you're watching silent films or It's a Wonderful Life then it's probably copyrighted.
Reply 7
Original post by aliasunknown
I think it must be legal, i spent hours and hours seearching on the internet a while ago to find somewhere where it said it was illegal and i couldnt so it must be. Something cannot be illegal if noone can find out if it is. A lot of the websites i have used in the past to watch tv/movies have been taken down for hosting movies that are in the cinema but ive never heard of a viewer being in breach of the law. Also lots of websites i use that only host tv shows have lots of adverts from reputable companies and can be found on search engines and have a disclaimer to say they host links not the shows so arent in breach on the law. They have been around for years and not being taken down.

Also a lot of videos are on websites such as videoweed and videobb which also host clips so how can someone tell what you are watching anyway.

SO i dont have proof and couldnt fnd any but i highly doubt that is illegal.

This is what im thinking.

I think its case where the disributor is brekaing the law but the user in the eyes of the law is allowed to watch a video online in good faith of its legality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8

Original post by T.I.
Hi all

Ok, we all know watching live tv without a tv licence is illegal.

You can things on i player etc without a licence legally.

Download films (unles you have bought it legally of i tunes or something or it is a free release) is illegal. For both the downloader and distributer.

What i want to know, is hwat about streaming a film (or tv show, family guy, American dad etc), is that illigal for the viewer.

Can somebody who knows for a fact please answer this and if it is illegal for the viewer find me the exact law that states it is illegal.

Thank you

Illegal, you're still downloading it by streaming it.
Original post by T.I.
Bellend

I think its case where the disributor is brekaing the law but the user in the eyes of the law is allowed to watch a video online in good faith of its legality.

Yeah, i mean all the websites i use say on them they are legal and i dont use them if they dont, all have a disclaimer about their legality and have been around for ages. If they say on them they are legal, can be found on search engines, have adverts from legitimiate companies, and i cant find anywhere that says they are illegal then they must be. I refuse to believe its illegal without proof, how can it be if nobody knows.
Reply 10
Original post by JOR2010
Illegal, you're still downloading it by streaming it.

OK then, what if you watched something and you didnt click the button, it wasn't your internet or PC used?

You literally just sat there and watched it.

Then you didnt download it.
Reply 11
Original post by T.I.
Bellend

Excuse me? Do you think you have found a loop whole that allows you to download copyright material?

Seriously why can't you just pay for it! TV series and songs are only £1.79 & £0.99 respectively. Are you extremely poor? or just think you're smart?
It was to my understanding that watching a stream wasn't illegal, it's the person uploading the stream that is breaking the law. It would be no different than going to the pictures and watching a film there and assuming they have bought/aquired the rights to show the movie, you could simply claim that you assumed the person streaming had the right to stream.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
It was to my understanding that watching a stream wasn't illegal, it's the person uploading the stream that is breaking the law. It would be no different than going to the pictures and watching a film their and assuming they have bought/aquired the rights to show the movie, you could simply claim that you assumed the person streaming had the right to stream.

this is exactly the reason i thought it was legal too, i again had another look on the internet and could find nowhere reputable which said its illegal to stream it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14

Original post by T.I.
OK then, what if you watched something and you didnt click the button, it wasn't your internet or PC used?

You shouldn't be watching it if it's streaming, technically. But in all reality, you can stream easily.
Reply 15
Depends on the site.
Site which stream films need licenses to do so, if they don't and you stream a film from the site, it's illegal.
Streaming is downloading. It just doesn't save the file. For all intents and purposes in this sense it is the same.
Reply 17
Original post by T.I.

I think if you went round to a friend's house, and they put the film on, they would be the one breaking the law. I doubt you're breaking any laws simply by watching it.

Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
It was to my understanding that watching a stream wasn't illegal, it's the person uploading the stream that is breaking the law. It would be no different than going to the pictures and watching a film there and assuming they have bought/aquired the rights to show the movie, you could simply claim that you assumed the person streaming had the right to stream.

It probably comes down to whether you believe it's legit or not. If you really had no reason to suspect it wasn't legit, then I'd guess you haven't broken the law. But in most cases it's pretty damn obvious the site isn't legal, any sensible person would assume any site that streams movies is illegal unless they know otherwise. So I doubt that excuse would work if it came to court (which it almost definitely won't).

I doubt you're going to find any loophole in the law that allows you to download movies without paying (that includes streaming, it's still downloading). But you're really unlikely to get caught anyway.
Original post by Psyk
I think if you went round to a friend's house, and they put the film on, they would be the one breaking the law. I doubt you're breaking any laws simply by watching it.

It probably comes down to whether you believe it's legit or not. If you really had no reason to suspect it wasn't legit, then I'd guess you haven't broken the law. But in most cases it's pretty damn obvious the site isn't legal, any sensible person would assume any site that streams movies is illegal unless they know otherwise. So I doubt that excuse would work if it came to court (which it almost definitely won't).

I doubt you're going to find any loophole in the law that allows you to download movies without paying (that includes streaming, it's still downloading). But you're really unlikely to get caught anyway.

I guess fair enough for movies, but for tv shows it really isnt obvious if watching on a site with ads and various disclaimers saying its legal. I spent hours and hours seraching online to find if places like omgshows.com or surfthechannel.com are illegal and i cant find any evidence that they are. Same applied to megavideo etc. In fact surfthechannel.com signed an advertising deal with discovery network a while ago so surely they wouldnt do that wiht an illegal site. If i cant fnd that they are illegal from hours of seraching online then surely if they turn out to be i am quite right in not suspecting its not legit as there is not evidence that it is.
Reply 19
Original post by Psyk

As i have said before, when the law refers to downloading, i think its talking about actually saving the 1gb of data etc to your hardrive, not just it briefly downloading to your pc and deleting its self when you watch it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending