The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
anyone here doing geology at uni, or has done it?!!
what are you going to do after your degree??
im really intereseted in the course, but the seemingly lack of job prospects is putting me off!!
SmartFool
im really intereseted in the course, but the seemingly lack of job prospects is putting me off!!

There's loads and loads you can do with a geology degree. I personally don't really know what I want to do with mine yet though. I haven't really found anything I really love.

Anyway, stuff you can do with geology: oil/hydrocarbons, minerals, hydrology, engineering geology, further research (PhD or further), marine surveying (if you go down a geophysicsy route), things like making sure that contaminants like nuclear waste don't escape and then there must be loads of other's that I can't think of off the top of my head! Then there's also loads of unrelated jobs that you can go to like teaching, finance stuff etc.. In conclusion - loads!
Reply 842
hothedgehog
There's loads and loads you can do with a geology degree. I personally don't really know what I want to do with mine yet though. I haven't really found anything I really love.

Anyway, stuff you can do with geology: oil/hydrocarbons, minerals, hydrology, engineering geology, further research (PhD or further), marine surveying (if you go down a geophysicsy route), things like making sure that contaminants like nuclear waste don't escape and then there must be loads of other's that I can't think of off the top of my head! Then there's also loads of unrelated jobs that you can go to like teaching, finance stuff etc.. In conclusion - loads!

:smile: ohh okayy thanks for that! ...so if i was to decide to go down the hydrology or oil industry route for example, would that mean i would be consigning myself to long hours of work in loads of different locations? because ive read somehwere that geologists work long hours in remote locations and that dosent really appeal to me, it dosent seem stable.:confused:
SmartFool
:smile: ohh okayy thanks for that! ...so if i was to decide to go down the hydrology or oil industry route for example, would that mean i would be consigning myself to long hours of work in loads of different locations? because ive read somehwere that geologists work long hours in remote locations and that dosent really appeal to me, it dosent seem stable.:confused:

I don't know, there's quite a lot of stuff you could end up doing within those industries. A lot of field geologists end up working a lot of hours for a long period of time but then get a massive chunk off. I guess it's not such a stable career really but hey, see what you could end up doing - there's so so so much variety etc.. I'm not sure how hydrology is but i think that applies for oil and minerals more.
Reply 844
SmartFool

i did geology, graduated last year and have been working for a geology/palaeontology museum since. apllying for my phd this winter. theres a gap in the market definitely, its just exploiting it is the problem.
How many of you sons of bitches have jobs atm? Very little going for people without mucho experience, in my searching anyway...
Reply 846
Age_of_Innocence
How many of you sons of bitches have jobs atm? Very little going for people without mucho experience, in my searching anyway...

me. i get paid to go fossil hunting on the beach, lovely weather for it now aswell :biggrin:
alex p
me. i get paid to go fossil hunting on the beach, lovely weather for it now aswell :biggrin:

Really? Lucky boy! I've been applying for all sorts of things, only half of 'em geology related. Is that a company you work for then or what? I'm just finding it difficult to locate geology "entry level" positions that don't need min. 3 years experience
Reply 848
Age_of_Innocence
Really? Lucky boy! I've been applying for all sorts of things, only half of 'em geology related. Is that a company you work for then or what? I'm just finding it difficult to locate geology "entry level" positions that don't need min. 3 years experience

yer, tis good, its for a dinosaur museum thats part of the local council. i was going to do it as a bit of work experience, saw the job offer come up nd thought id rather be paid to get the experience, got an interview within a week of my cv being sent and started the day after the interview :p:

i figured that may be a problem of needing experience, hense im staying here until i can find a phd and prolly during it tbh
Reply 849
hahahahaahhahaha geology
Reply 850
hi everyone, by the way this is the first post in this forum.

Anyone from leeds??
Original post by fatih
hi everyone, by the way this is the first post in this forum.

Anyone from leeds??

I'm from London but studied Geology at Leeds Uni. You going there too ?
Reply 852
Hi :smile: I've noticed that the posts date back to 2005, is it too late to be a member? I'm hoping to study Geology or Geography next year at uni xoxo
This forum still active? I'm hoping to do Geology in 2012 :biggrin:
Reply 854
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf
This forum still active? I'm hoping to do Geology in 2012 :biggrin:

me to! which uni you going to? im going to Leeds uni if i get the grades
Original post by Parkin123
me to! which uni you going to? im going to Leeds uni if i get the grades

Hopefully Bham but I need to check out Leicester and Southampton too, where else have you applied?
Reply 856
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf
Hopefully Bham but I need to check out Leicester and Southampton too, where else have you applied?

Oh right I've applied for Leicester but I decline their offer and chose Leeds and Liverpool, I'm a northerner you see so Southampton is a bit too far from home. Leeds gives you a year in paid work so you should check it out!
Original post by Parkin123
Oh right I've applied for Leicester but I decline their offer and chose Leeds and Liverpool, I'm a northerner you see so Southampton is a bit too far from home. Leeds gives you a year in paid work so you should check it out!

Hmmmm Leeds is too far for me as I'm a londoner lol, oh well good luck in the future years that lie ahead ;D
Reply 858
I've applied to Plymouth, Portsmouth, Glamorgan, Derby and Brighton. I've received offers from Plymouth, Portsmouth and Glamorgan (they offered me a science foundation though :|) Derby turned me down and currently waiting for Brighton. I want to go to Plymouth though :biggrin:
Reply 859
Original post by Jaki_B
I've applied to Plymouth, Portsmouth, Glamorgan, Derby and Brighton. I've received offers from Plymouth, Portsmouth and Glamorgan (they offered me a science foundation though :|) Derby turned me down and currently waiting for Brighton. I want to go to Plymouth though :biggrin:

I applied to all those Unis except Portsmouth, I applied to Keele instead. Hope you get into Plymouth - it does look nice!

Currently I am holding all five offers - I really want to go to Keele, I have an offer for a Masters Geoscience. My insurance will be Plymouth with Geology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending