The Student Room Group

a levels for dentistry

Hey guys! I need my application for A levels by tomorrow to be completed, so help is needed! I want to study dentistry and my choices are;
Biology
Chemistry
English Language
Spanish

Are these okay? My english teacher said I could easily achieve A* at a level, and I LOVE it,

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't choose English Language if I were you, you'd be better off with Maths or Physics.

Everything else seems fine.
Original post by Blashnet
Hey guys! I need my application for A levels by tomorrow to be completed, so help is needed! I want to study dentistry and my choices are;
Biology
Chemistry
English Language
Spanish

Are these okay? My english teacher said I could easily achieve A* at a level, and I LOVE it,

To the person above, what? :confused:. Maths or Physics will put you at no advantage over English Language, although if you want to do English, English Literature is more respected by Universities than English Language. Don't do Maths or Physics if you don't want to, an A in English will look far better than a B or C in Maths or Physics.

As long as you have Biology and Chemistry A2 level and another well-respected A2 level subject, plus an AS subject, you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by michaelhaych
I wouldn't choose English Language if I were you, you'd be better off with Maths or Physics.

Everything else seems fine.

Oh no:frown:

I was hoping my extra cirriculum things would help me not having
Maths. Every wednesday I am doing 2 hours work exp in the afternoon and I do
2 hours in my local hospice every fortnight. I am also doing a week
In a hospital.
Thoughts?
Reply 4
Original post by racheatworld
To the person above, what? :confused:. Maths or Physics will put you at no advantage over English Language, although if you want to do English, English Literature is more respected by Universities than English Language. Don't do Maths or Physics if you don't want to, an A in English will look far better than a B or C in Maths or Physics.

As long as you have Biology and Chemistry A2 level and another well-respected A2 level subject, plus an AS subject, you'll be fine.

Would an A in English Language be respected? With A2's in bio and chem?
Reply 5
Oh no:frown:

I was hoping my extra cirriculum things would help me not having
Maths. Every wednesday I am doing 2 hours work exp in the afternoon and I do
2 hours in my local hospice every fortnight. I am also doing a week
In a hospital.
Thoughts?

I think you'd need some work experience at a dentist's.
Makes more sense than you doing it in a hospital!
But then again,work experience in a hospital is also good! :smile:
Would an A in English Language be respected? With A2's in bio and chem?

Well I've seen people get in with less-respected subjects such as Graphics (this was rare though), but ideally I'd take English Literature or Spanish at A2 to be sure.
Reply 7

I agree, I think its a big misconception that medicine/dentistry applicants NEED to do all three sciences AND maths! most applicants do this and its become the box standard that many think they need to adhere to but for the most part your only required two sciences, including chemistry so doing che and bio is absaloutly fine! Having applied to dentistry this year, Ive emailed and rang up every uni about this when I was picking my a levels, and they all told me that the 2 sciences were required along with two other subjects of my choice, apart from general studies and critcal thinking. Basically youll mainly need 4 Good As levels and then you can drop one and continue three on to A2.

Your A levels are fine, Its better to do subjects youll do well in than subjects that your not likely to get As in, because you need those A's if you want to study dentistry!

I did chem, bio, english lit and lang as well as psychology. Like you I really loved english so opted for this rather than maths, which evidently I loathed.

When speaking to admission tutors at open days and my interviews, They all said that its nice too see something differnt somtimes!
So go with those A levels, if you can do english lit than go for it, if not stick to those Alevels.

Hope that helped,
Good luck with everything!
:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Varsh05
I think you'd need some work experience at a dentist's.
Makes more sense than you doing it in a hospital!
But then again,work experience in a hospital is also good! :smile:

Whoops, my fault. I meant to say - I am doing 2 hours every wednesday afternoon in a dental practice.
Original post by neeloo
I agree, I think its a big misconception that medicine/dentistry applicants NEED to do all three sciences AND maths! most applicants do this and its become the box standard that many think they need to adhere to but for the most part your only required two sciences, including chemistry so doing che and bio is absaloutly fine! Having applied to dentistry this year, Ive emailed and rang up every uni about this when I was picking my a levels, and they all told me that the 2 sciences were required along with two other subjects of my choice, apart from general studies and critcal thinking. Basically youll mainly need 4 Good As levels and then you can drop one and continue three on to A2.

Your A levels are fine, Its better to do subjects youll do well in than subjects that your not likely to get As in, because you need those A's if you want to study dentistry!

I did chem, bio, english lit and lang as well as psychology. Like you I really loved english so opted for this rather than maths, which evidently I loathed.

When speaking to admission tutors at open days and my interviews, They all said that its nice too see something differnt somtimes!
So go with those A levels, if you can do english lit than go for it, if not stick to those Alevels.

Hope that helped,

Yes. I didn't take Physics or Maths and have 3 offers for Dentistry this year - you really don't need them. It is far better to take subjects that you enjoy that you can do well in, than fail subjects when they put you at no advantage.
Reply 10
Biology and chemistry plus any two respected subjects . . . do lit over lang if you can still get an A in it . . .
Reply 11
Whoops, my fault. I meant to say - I am doing 2 hours every wednesday afternoon in a dental practice.

Oohh that's good then! :wink:
What other work exp you going?
Coz I wanna go into medicine,and so far,I only have work exp in a hospital,I volunteer at a local library,mentor younger students with French and Science, organize the year 7 science club and I'm part of the Envision Organisation(if you've ever heard of it :s-smilie:)

I've tried a care home,so hopefully I'll start soon!

Have you thought of having a Saturday/part-time job??

The requirements for Medicine and Dentistry are quite similar,so I'm just wondering lol.. :h:
Reply 12
Original post by neeloo

Thanks! I could do lit, but I know I would loveeee to do lang!
Hope that helped,

Thanks! I could do lit, but I know I would loveeee to do lang!
Reply 13
Original post by Nix-j-c
Biology and chemistry plus any two respected subjects . . . do lit over lang if you can still get an A in it . . .

I guess I could, but I'd enjoy lang so much more! Plus I think
I could get an a*
Reply 14
I could get an a*

lol Well go with what you enjoy! A levels arent easy, so if youve got at least one subject thats enjoyable itl lighten the load, trust me! Ive had three interviews and an offer, really you dont need maths and physics- its not for everyone!
Reply 15
Yes. I didn't take Physics or Maths and have 3 offers for Dentistry this year - you really don't need them. It is far better to take subjects that you enjoy that you can do well in, than fail subjects when they put you at no advantage.

Defo second that! Well done on the offers though, where from if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 16
Biology
Chemistry
English Language
Spanish

Hey! You have Bio and Chemisty which is what your future uni will be looking for! Obviously they should be your number one subjects!!

I studied English Language at A level and absolutely loved it! I'm very interested in all aspects of our language, and linguistics. It is a fab course - however as someone else rightly said English Literature is much more respected at University. Are you a reader!?
Reply 17
Original post by neeloo
lol Well go with what you enjoy! A levels arent easy, so if youve got at least one subject thats enjoyable itl lighten the load, trust me! Ive had three interviews and an offer, really you dont need maths and physics- its not for everyone!

Thanks! I am just worried that english lang will be too 'soft' for dentistry - even tough -II would lovee it!
Reply 18
Thanks! I am just worried that english lang will be too 'soft' for dentistry - even tough -II would lovee it!

No probs :smile: ermm I'm not sure you see my A Level course is english lit and lang combined, so I got the best of both. For me I enjoyed lit a bit more, with english language your ability to write effectively will be of fantastic use for lit too. Tbh I do think lit will `look' better, but how well do you think you'd do in lit? Its up to you, email the unis youd like to go to and ask their oppinion, theres no harm in asking right?

If you were to do lit, what exam board would you do? I did Wjec and the lit aspect at AS is mainly pre 19th century poetry (an anthology of 25 poems) , two set texts (novels) and the main focus is on comparisons and analysis of linguistic features/context/ themes/ symolism and the use of features to convey meaning etc in the exam, but I knw its quite differnt in other exam boards.

My advise is read up on the specifications of both the lit and lang courses available to you, ask your teacher about both subjects and outweigh which one you think you will be able to do best in.

As long as you get A's it really doesnt matter as long as you dont do something like general studies! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
I could get an a*

know lit is more respected than lang BUT I'm not sure what the grades are when unis consider them equivilent? if you get what I mean . . .

One grade higher in lang might not be considered as good a lit but i'm not sure about 2 grades better so if an A* in lang is the same or better than a B in lit or not . . . :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest