University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by whotosee
I'm looking to have a self-catered premium single room. I think my first choice would be a room in John Foster because apparently they have a very nice kitchen? Does anyone know how many people there are to a bathroom/ kitchen there?

Also for a self-catered premium single room, would be any difference between one in Beaumont and GMS? And again, how many people are there to a kitchen/ bathroom? And how are the kitchens there?

Sorry it's a big question :colondollar: I would appreciate it if any one could answer it. Thank you!
:excited:

Beware that there all of about 10 or 12 (5/6 per gender) self-catered premium singles in JoFo, in one converted house, The Spinney, right at the front. To get one of these you would have to get in straight away and a lot will go to deferred/gap year students as they can confirm their accommodation straight away rather than waiting for results day. You would share a bathroom and kitchen with the 5/6 on your floor.

All self catered premium single up at Oadby are in converted houses, rather than the main blocks of their respective halls, so how many you share a kitchen or bathroom with will vary 'cause they're not custom built and grade listings affect what the uni can do to them for things like plumbing.

I think there are slightly more in Digby (Botanical gardens side) than others, but I could be wrong as they're often hidden in lots of little houses with only 5 or 6 residents.

Finally these are usually just one gender for the whole house, so up to 30ish, and, particularly for guys, can get quite 'boisterous' if you don't fancy going out a lot.

Finally for everyone beware how many of you are saying you want JoFo, this is reflected across all applicants and means it's pretty much the only halls you may miss out on as your first choice, so just be prepared for that. I'm not sure if getting in early registering your preference affects your chances, you're best off emailing accommodation services to find out.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Does anyone know how strict the rules for guests are in City Living accomodation (particularly in Nixon Court)?
Reply 282
Original post by Larsson
i have just accepted my offer at Leicester as my firm and will look to apply for accomodation as soon as it opens, in march i believe.

i want to have an ensuite and at the moment im not too bothered about catered/self catered

i went to the uni yesterday and looked at John Foster and GMS and have now worked out that i can go in Beaumont, JoFo or GMS to have an ensuite.

JoFo seemed a little less social than the other halls, what would you guys suggest is the better place to choose? Beaumont, JoFo or GMS?

JoFo has the benefit of being a full size room for the ensuite not a 'pod', but obviously this does push the price up by a fair bit. The idea JoFo isn't at all social isn't borne out by reality, but it seems fairly certain the risk of it being unsociable is higher due to the layout. It is very plush, just depends how much weight you put on social.

If you want self catered JoFo is fairly limited for non gap-year students, the main ensuite self catered blocks are Bowder Court in GMS. Though if you're not fussed either way I'd say catered's better value, as you don't pay for 8 weeks you won't be there, and it's more sociable

GMS and Beaumont's respective catered ensuite blocks are fairly indistinguishable facilities wise, though I think Beaumont blocks might have bigger rooms. GMS is meant to be the party halls so that reputation might mean more people there are going to be going out a lot.

In terms of the facilities of halls generally, remember wherever you stay will be the most luxurious accommodation of your 3/4 year time in Leicester. Living out you will never have an ensuite or 24 (more like 2) hour heating again, so you will be more than comfortable in any of these halls!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 283
Original post by Larsson
i was there yesterday...

John Foster kitchens were nice, they are the same for catered and self-catered in terms of size etc, and i believe it was 5 persons in a flat... but this was with ensuites.

in GMS it was 6 people in a flat/floor (whatever you want to call it) sharing 2 bathrooms, although the ones i looked at had really small kitchens as it was catered...

im sure some actual Leicester students will help us get a further insight into accomodaiton :smile:

Original post by roh
Beware that there all of about 10 or 12 (5/6 per gender) self-catered premium singles in JoFo, in one converted house, The Spinney, right at the front. To get one of these you would have to get in straight away and a lot will go to deferred/gap year students as they can confirm their accommodation straight away rather than waiting for results day. You would share a bathroom and kitchen with the 5/6 on your floor.

All self catered premium single up at Oadby are in converted houses, rather than the main blocks of their respective halls, so how many you share a kitchen or bathroom with will vary 'cause they're not custom built and grade listings affect what the uni can do to them for things like plumbing.

I think there are slightly more in Digby (Botanical gardens side) than others, but I could be wrong as they're often hidden in lots of little houses with only 5 or 6 residents.

Finally these are usually just one gender for the whole house, so up to 30ish, and, particularly for guys, can get quite 'boisterous' if you don't fancy going out a lot.

Finally for everyone beware how many of you are saying you want JoFo, this is reflected across all applicants and means it's pretty much the only halls you may miss out on as your first choice, so just be prepared for that. I'm not sure if getting in early registering your preference affects your chances, you're best off emailing accommodation services to find out.

Thank you :smile:

Don't think I'll be applying for Digby because all the rooms there are catered.
Is there much of a difference between self-catered premium singles in Beaumont Hall and GMS? They seem quite similar, apart from having to go to different bus stops, and Beaumont generally being closer to ASDA. I would prefer a more 'quiet' place if possible :biggrin:
Reply 284

no worries :smile: i have applied and firmed American Studies with a year abroad, what about you?
Reply 285
I've applied and firmed Leicester for Medical Biochemistry, so quite a different course from you :biggrin:
Still, we might walk past each other in October :biggrin::biggrin:
Am I the only one who wants catered?! If I have to go through self-catered again I will DIE. Not even wither away and die, I've already withered enough this year!
Reply 287
Original post by SacredWolf
Am I the only one who wants catered?! If I have to go through self-catered again I will DIE. Not even wither away and die, I've already withered enough this year!

Nope, i'm after catered as its's the only option of my preferred choice of accommodation (Beaumont) I can look after myself cooking wise but i'm perfectly fine with catered :cool:
Reply 288

Thank you :smile:

Don't think I'll be applying for Digby because all the rooms there are catered.
Is there much of a difference between self-catered premium singles in Beaumont Hall and GMS? They seem quite similar, apart from having to go to different bus stops, and Beaumont generally being closer to ASDA. I would prefer a more 'quiet' place if possible :biggrin:

Ah right they might have transferred them to Beaumont now. Anyway, the difference in terms of facilities will be negligible. They're all in converted houses, warden's lodges etc. so room size and so on will vary a bit but this will be the same in both GMS and Beaumont.

Hard to say which will be quieter really, that varies a lot year on year. Generally the self catered houses are less going out oriented than the catered blocks but this isn't a hard and fast rule. For example the top floor of Rocklands, which is the male self catered house in Beaumont, was lad central in my year, but I know someone who lived there the year above me and apparently Rocklands got a lot of stick for being really quiet and going out once a term. The character of each house will be defined by that year's residents, but the uni do ask you stuff about what sort of atmosphere you want and are pretty good at grouping similar people together so you should be fine.

They're both an equal distance from Asda.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 289
Original post by SacredWolf

Nope! I was exactly the same and some of my mates were even worse! When we moved out to a house one of my mates genuinely asked us how to cook a pizza...
Reply 290
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];36439055']Does anyone know how strict the rules for guests are in City Living accomodation (particularly in Nixon Court)?

Couldn't be specific to Nixon but I'd guess at least as relaxed as Oadby and I had my girlfriend up for the weekend there and no one said anything, some people also had 5/6 mates up for their birthday and again no one said anything. I think so long as they don't practically move in no one will object to you having guests.

Only possible flaw would be if the new Nixon uses your library card for access, but they haven't done that at any other halls so I don't think it's likely.
Reply 291
Original post by odacel
I'm self-catered in Beaumont. Just saying. There are some houses (self-catered) on the site too, along with the blocks and the main building (catered).

Which blocks are the self catered ones? I've been to the accommodation plenty of times and I knew the majority of Beaumont is catered :colondollar:
Reply 292
Original post by Wreemo
Which blocks are the self catered ones? I've been to the accommodation plenty of times and I knew the majority of Beaumont is catered :colondollar:

Warden's Lodge which is all female and Rocklands House which is male definitely are. Also, I think the Gatehouse right at the front might be? I don't know if the Knowle and all of those houses, though some are definitely catered at least, in the botanical gardens are catered or self catered, someone else might.

But you are right that the majority of it is catered, in the 8 blocks right next to Beaumont House.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 293
Original post by roh
Warden's Lodge which is all female and Rocklands House which is male definitely are. Also, I think the Gatehouse right at the front might be? I don't know if the Knowle and all of those houses, though some are definitely catered at least, in the botanical gardens are catered or self catered, someone else might.

But you are right that the majority of it is catered, in the 8 blocks right next to Beaumont House.

Original post by odacel
As roh said, Warden's Lodge (female), Rocklands house (male), and then Gatehouse and Porter's Lodge, which are both male. I love the houses. We don't eat with the catered people, but how we get to know each other is amazing. Don't know if it's only this year, but the houses tend to visit each other more than the blocks.

Thanks for the replies! I never realised there were single gender houses in Beaumont, always thought they were mixed with ground floor being lads and the 1st floor being girls like the blocks do.

By any chance are these self catered houses the buildings that aren't blocks? If so I know what your both on about. I always thought they were like staff housing or something :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone know if you have to pay a deposit or any upfront rent before you move into any UoL accommodation? I know at DMU it's like £250!!!
Original post by BeautifullySimple
Does anyone know if you have to pay a deposit or any upfront rent before you move into any UoL accommodation? I know at DMU it's like £250!!!

nope, no deposit :biggrin:

I was laughing at when my friends had to pay around £300 for deposits, haha.

EDIT: Oh I forgot, you have to pay a key deposit but that's only £30. I'm not even sure if you get it back...:colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheBlackMonster
nope, no deposit :biggrin:

I was laughing at when my friends had to pay around £300 for deposits, haha.

EDIT: Oh I forgot, you have to pay a key deposit but that's only £30. I'm not even sure if you get it back...:colonhash:

:eek::eek::eek::banana: owww yeah UoL is sounding better and better by the day (HURRY UP OCTOBER!!!) lol. I could live with £30 haha!
I'm really stuck between which accomodation to live in. I'm a socialble guy, like to make as many friends as possibe. I go out a lot, club etc. However I work hard when I have too. I'm looking to gain a lot of independence at university & I like a little bit of privacy. So what accom would people suggest for me? Would appreciate if people responded. Especially since we can apply so soon.
JoFo was my main interest but I've frequently seen that its not as sociable as other halls ... help?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 298
Original post by GeeGaryJunior
I'm really stuck between which accomodation to live in. I'm a socialble guy, like to make as many friends as possibe. I go out a lot, club etc. However I work hard when I have too. I'm looking to gain a lot of independence at university & I like a little bit of privacy. So what accom would people suggest for me? Would appreciate if people responded. Especially since we can apply so soon.
JoFo was my main interest but I've frequently seen that its not as sociable as other halls ... help?!

At a Uni like Leicester most people have worked hard during their A Levels to be there so don't worry too much about halls being too disruptive. Though unless you're a medic first year will probably be less intense than Year 13.

Privacy wise virtually all the rooms are singles so that shouldn't be a worry, avoid the handful of shared rooms but that's not difficult, just put them last when you rank the options on the accommodation form.

Most JoFo blocks are pretty sociable and you should make friends if you're outgoing, but it does seem to be widely accepted that GMS and Beaumont are quite a bit more sociable simply due to their layouts and going out lots/meeting a lot of people will be easier there.

With independence you are going to get a lot more than your used to being at anywhere in uni and you'll learn to handle it during First year, though this is a process that continues throughout uni.

Ultimately depends on how much weight you put on the social side of things. Though I would say everyone soon learns to love their room no matter whether it's JoFo or Digby and what they've previously been used to (I know a guy who loved his Lasdun room even though his parents had a country estate and he went to Harrow!) simply because it is yours.
Looking for a flat for next term? Room S6.03 is available in CityBlock 2! The room is a Superior-Plus self contained studio and it's the biggest room in the building. It also allows for double occupancy, so both you and your partner could live there. Or alternatively just you if you're looking for plenty of space. CityBlock is located right next to town so has really good ease of access. Message me for more information, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending