The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philosoraptor
Never heard of it - what channel etc?

Seriously? Channel 4.
Original post by Mushi_master
I'm just hoping they're gonna use something that makes me look ok and not a 'look at that useless medical student standing around scratching his arse' or something!

PRSOM

I love this show, it is actually quite good.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Seriously? Channel 4.

Well I don't have tv and rely on internet - so mostly look at iPlayer - hence I know Junior Doctors but not this one.

I used to watch Bizarre ER too. But yeah not this one
Original post by Mushi_master
So may have signed a disclaimer to probably be on 24 hours in a&e. Perhaps that was a bad idea.

Ha!

My mother loves that show. Please let us know if you make it onto tv so I can let her know :tongue:
One of the doctors from the BBC's junior doctors is coming to our medical school to give a talk tonight...I'm hoping it's not the one which always has her hair annoyingly dangling all over the patient whilst she's 'trying' to take blood...
Original post by planetconwy1
Thats great! Good luck with your article. How quickly did they reply? Was it the same day?

No it wasn't the same day, but I think it was within a week. I don't think I actually expected them to reply, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was reasonably quick.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Ha!

My mother loves that show. Please let us know if you make it onto tv so I can let her know :tongue:

I'll let you know... if I don't look a total doughnut :tongue:
Have heard about a medical education conference organised by College teaching fellows and London Deanery if anyone is interested...
Original post by Wangers
Have heard about a medical education conference organised by College teaching fellows and London Deanery if anyone is interested...

Somewhat unrelated but how expensive/feasible is it for students to go to these sorts of conferences with an interest in studying something similar in the future without funding/direct input from the university?
Casually sat through my introduction being ripped apart by my supervisor today. Apparently my writing style is too complex and 'flowery'.

Oh and I really fancy someone in the lab. This sucks.
Reply 9390
Anyone else seen this article? (apologies if already posted).
Read it after coming back from a child health placement, and am still struggling to comprehend how this can even be allowed to be debated.
Unless I've missed the point of the article, it's debating whether infantcide of newborns (including healthy ones) is acceptable.

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/02/22/medethics-2011-100411.full
Reply 9391
Original post by Elwyn
Anyone else seen this article? (apologies if already posted).
Read it after coming back from a child health placement, and am still struggling to comprehend how this can even be allowed to be debated.
Unless I've missed the point of the article, it's debating whether infantcide of newborns (including healthy ones) is acceptable.

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/02/22/medethics-2011-100411.full

Of course I agree with you over the nature of post-natal infanticide - obviously that's totally unacceptable, and sickening to think about.

But I'd say that's not necessarily what the article is about - if anything, I'd say it's an argument against abortion: it's about applying the same logic from one scenario to another.

Whilst I agree that it's not a comfortable article to read, I'd also say that the only thing worse than debating something terrible is not debating it at all.

On a totally different topic, has anyone seen this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-17222668

Any ideas on what could cause it? Obviously I guess there's the alcoholic skin solution plus probably increased oxygen concentration... + diathermy results in the fire triangle - but why then doesn't this happen more often? :confused:
Original post by Tech

On a totally different topic, has anyone seen this?

Any ideas on what could cause it? Obviously I guess there's the alcoholic skin solution plus probably increased oxygen concentration... + diathermy results in the fire triangle - but why then doesn't this happen more often? :confused:

It's more common than you might think...

I can't remember details, but certain skin preps come in different types of solution, some of which are higher in alcohol content than others, and which are meant to be used for equipment cleaning etc, but if they get used on a patient, there is a fire risk.

I have also seen a urologist set the drapes on fire by leaving a rigid cystoscope lying on them while he tidied up. No harm to the patient though.
Original post by Tech

Most surgeons:

a) Let the solution dry before doing anything
b) Don't use diathermy on the skin
Original post by i'm no superman
Casually sat through my introduction being ripped apart by my supervisor today. Apparently my writing style is too complex and 'flowery'.

Oh and I really fancy someone in the lab. This sucks.

What's wrong the the latter?
Original post by RollerBall
What's wrong the the latter?
Age difference mainly...but that's not all. :frown:
Hospital visits are amazing motivation :smile:
Reply 9397

Age less of a big deal as your get older... does it meet the half + 7 years rule?

Is anyone at a purple and blue coloured medical school?
Lots of youths :wink: on my journey home who seemed a bit medic-esque... but could be a random sports team, i suppose. :tongue:

taken...
Original post by Elles
Age less of a big deal as your get older... does it meet the half + 7 years rule?
Lol the gap is much wider! :tongue:

Original post by sweetchilli
taken...
...yup. :frown:

I just don't get the flirting and eye-sex thing going on though.

Latest

Trending

Trending