University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by BeautifullySimple
If you hold a conditional offer, that'll be why. I sent mine off the day it opened and it still says submitted.

When you meet the requirements they gave you, give them an email or call to let them know... quote your student number (this will be on any correspondence from the uni, check your acceptance/offer letter) and mention the status of your accommodation form also quoting this reference number (found on the page with the status of your application)

They won't start processing you accommodation application until they are certain you will be attending in October. Hope this was helpful :smile:

You don't need to send an email or ring on results day, accommodation will know if your place has been confirmed. If everyone contacted them they'd spend the day fielding thousands of phone calls and emails not sorting out your accommodation!
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by BeautifullySimple
If you hold a conditional offer, that'll be why. I sent mine off the day it opened and it still says submitted.

When you meet the requirements they gave you, give them an email or call to let them know... quote your student number (this will be on any correspondence from the uni, check your acceptance/offer letter) and mention the status of your accommodation form also quoting this reference number (found on the page with the status of your application)

They won't start processing you accommodation application until they are certain you will be attending in October. Hope this was helpful :smile:

Thank you :smile: I was worried there, I thought something had gone wrong somewhere!
Reply 442
i have a conditional offer that i've firmed for english at leicester and am looking to stay in halls, self catered and probably with an en suite, could anybody give me any advice on what would be the best choice?
Reply 443
Original post by rahface
i have a conditional offer that i've firmed for english at leicester and am looking to stay in halls, self catered and probably with an en suite, could anybody give me any advice on what would be the best choice?

hau been to an open day to look around?

i applied for accomodation looking to have self-catered and en suite as well...

not too many self catered options however, i ended up putting down a combination of GMS, John Foster and Beaumont as my options

i think 1/2 were catered though, but all en suite

John Fosters is the newest of the lot but i thought there were all relatively decent with there own appealing aspects :smile:
Reply 444
Heya , so Leicester is my insurance choice university , does anyone know the probability that ill get put into mary gee housing ( ive been told that this accommodation is not every nice and hasn't been updated in a long while and its abit of away from the university ?) if i dont make my first choice :s-smilie:
Reply 445
Original post by Larsson
hau been to an open day to look around?

i applied for accomodation looking to have self-catered and en suite as well...

not too many self catered options however, i ended up putting down a combination of GMS, John Foster and Beaumont as my options

i think 1/2 were catered though, but all en suite

John Fosters is the newest of the lot but i thought there were all relatively decent with there own appealing aspects :smile:

yeah i went to an open day but i don't really remember too much about which was best or who went where, for example i've heard a lot of medics go to john fosters
thanks for the help though i think i will still consider it now and maybe look in to GMS more :smile:
seems odd that there are so many catered options and not many self catered i think though :s-smilie: commpared to other uni's especially
Reply 446
Original post by rahface
yeah i went to an open day but i don't really remember too much about which was best or who went where, for example i've heard a lot of medics go to john fosters
thanks for the help though i think i will still consider it now and maybe look in to GMS more :smile:
seems odd that there are so many catered options and not many self catered i think though :s-smilie: commpared to other uni's especially

glad to help!

it does seem like there are very few self catered options, in halls at least...

i think GMS and Beaumont would be really good! i've heard that they are very social compared to John Fosters (though i suppose it will be whatever you want it to be) :smile:
Reply 447
Original post by rahface

There are more medics in JoFo, but to be honest I think that is simply because medics seem, on average, to come from wealthier backgrounds. Are you a medic?

It's more catered because originally the intention was to run it as colleges, if you look at collegiate unis (Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, York etc.) they tend to be catered as eating together creates a good community atmosphere.

Having more catered apparently caused no problems, as there wasn't much demand for self catered, until fairly recently. Now there is I'm sure they will gradually bring in more and more self, but unfortuanately an entire halls of residence costs a lot of money to build so it'll take a while for this to happen.
Reply 448
Original post by roh
There are more medics in JoFo, but to be honest I think that is simply because medics seem, on average, to come from wealthier backgrounds. Are you a medic?

It's more catered because originally the intention was to run it as colleges, if you look at collegiate unis (Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, York etc.) they tend to be catered as eating together creates a good community atmosphere.

Having more catered apparently caused no problems, as there wasn't much demand for self catered, until fairly recently. Now there is I'm sure they will gradually bring in more and more self, but unfortuanately an entire halls of residence costs a lot of money to build so it'll take a while for this to happen.

i see okay, that's really helpful. No i'm not a medic which is why i was a bit unsure as to if i would fit in if i went to john fosters, but I think it should be okay, thank you for the help :smile:
Reply 449
Original post by rahface
i see okay, that's really helpful. No i'm not a medic which is why i was a bit unsure as to if i would fit in if i went to john fosters, but I think it should be okay, thank you for the help :smile:

Don't worry about that, there's still a lot more from other subjects. Given there are 740 rooms in JoFo and only 162 medics a year even if they literally all stayed there they wouldn't dominate it too much!
In reply to Bethany01 - it is more likely that you would be given mary gee , and yes it is rather outdated. It's closer to the uni than oadby village and in my experience most people walk although the bus comes every 10 mins. Saying this, the social aspect can often be better as insurance people are less likely to be "neeks." - if you are unhappy with the accommodation you have been offered, the best thing to do it ring up the accommodation services and they are more than likely to offer you an alternative

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 451
Original post by gracieaudsley
In reply to Bethany01 - it is more likely that you would be given mary gee , and yes it is rather outdated. It's closer to the uni than oadby village and in my experience most people walk although the bus comes every 10 mins. Saying this, the social aspect can often be better as insurance people are less likely to be "neeks." - if you are unhappy with the accommodation you have been offered, the best thing to do it ring up the accommodation services and they are more than likely to offer you an alternative

Do we have access to oadby student village , because it mentions that in the prospectus, what does it actually mean ? yeah it suppose matters more what the people who are staying there with me are like :biggrin: x
Reply 452
Original post by gracieaudsley

Wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Most people who had it as insurance did so because they were predicted AAA and had an offer for somewhere like UCL, LSE, Durham etc. as their First choice and just missed it by a grade or even a couple of marks, often due to the fairly random A Level marking. If anything I'd say the people I know who had it as insurance, mostly for Oxbridge some for big London unis like UCL and Imperial, are more work focussed.
Reply 453
Original post by Bethany01
Do we have access to oadby student village , because it mentions that in the prospectus, what does it actually mean ? yeah it suppose matters more what the people who are staying there with me are like :biggrin: x

Yeah, Mary Gee often get put with Beaumont for Oadby focussed stuff in Freshers.

Just means 3 halls really close together basically with a bar at each.
Reply 454
Wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Most people who had it as insurance did so because they were predicted AAA and had an offer for somewhere like UCL, LSE, Durham etc. as their First choice and just missed it by a grade or even a couple of marks, often due to the fairly random A Level marking. If anything I'd say the people I know who had it as insurance, mostly for Oxbridge some for big London unis like UCL and Imperial, are more work focussed.[

I agree with you i am very work focused , not meaning to sound boring :s-smilie:

Yes you do have access to the Oadby student village, when you move in they give you like a pass that gives you access to it but I never used mine once
Heya , so Leicester is my insurance choice university , does anyone know the probability that ill get put into mary gee housing ( ive been told that this accommodation is not every nice and hasn't been updated in a long while and its abit of away from the university ?) if i dont make my first choice :s-smilie:

this is what happened to me, leicester was my insurance and I got just dumped there and your right it is outdated and not the best but at the end of the day it was much cheaper than my first choice accommodation so I had more money to spare and it really wasn't that bad, not as nice as JoFo but not the end of the world.
Reply 457
Original post by Batmonkey
this is what happened to me, leicester was my insurance and I got just dumped there and your right it is outdated and not the best but at the end of the day it was much cheaper than my first choice accommodation so I had more money to spare and it really wasn't that bad, not as nice as JoFo but not the end of the world.

thanks :smile: , more questions.....does it join in with oadby student village at freshers ? is it a social atmosphere, are there many opportunities to make friends? and how far is it away from the city center for shopping and nights out ?
Reply 458
thanks :smile: , more questions.....does it join in with oadby student village at freshers ? is it a social atmosphere, are there many opportunities to make friends? and how far is it away from the city center for shopping and nights out ?

For the last one maybe a couple of miles? You'll likely to have to get the bus anyway same as Oadby students.

Also, the last bus into town on a night is always amazing (unless someone voms) :smile:

Um yer I don't think there was anything stopping us from going to Oadby during freshers , oadby residents get a free bus to the 02 from 10/11 ish i think so I think we could have used that service but like i said in a previous post, during the entire first year I think I went to Oadby once to see a friend because during freshers pretty much every thing happened at the uni or in town ( clubs like chilli whites, republic etc) and there was plenty of people at mary gee to share a taxi with, leicester is very cheap for taxi's so only cost about £2 -3 over all for a taxi there and back to the club.

I would say that it was quite a social atmosphere, during freshers we as a block went a knocked on other peoples blocks and everyone was very friendly so lots of opportunities to make friends as long as your willing to be sociable :smile: It is quite far from the city centre - your talking like 1hr 20 min ish walk (i'm a very slow walker mind) but you can get a bus as theres a uni bus service right outside mary gee. For food shopping theres a free bus service to asda and for mary gee thats on a tuesday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending