The Student Room Group

Use handbrakes at traffic lights?

Hi guys, i recently passed my test and i was taught to use the handbrake whenever i stopped at a red light or something. i am now going to get my own car and i feel that it is too much effort every time to use the hb. can i not use the footbrake without rolling back? i mean by holding the clutch up to the biting point and then pressing/ releasing the footbrake as required? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can hold the car at traffic lights with the foot brake, but you'll wear out your clutch quicker if you hold the car for extended periods by balancing the clutch and accelerator.
Yea, I suppose you can do that.

I do that too. Engaging the handbrake at each red light would be too much of a hassle.
Reply 3
clutch control my friend (on a hill)
Reply 4
Moving one lever is too much of a hassle at traffic lights? Really?
I find it much easier to put the handbrake on....
Reply 6
Get an automatic and just put in in park everytime.

Or you can just use the footbrake like a sane person :biggrin:
Reply 7
My instructor always told me to use the handbrake if I'm going to be stopped for more than 3 seconds.

In the real world though, I usually just use the foot brake. Even on a steep hill, I can jump off the brake and onto the throttle/clutch fast enough to move into a hill-start without the use of the handbrake. But use whichever method works best for you. Don't sit for long periods of time on the clutch and throttle as you'll wear out the clutch, but do whatever feels most comfortable to you.
Lookup what thrust bearing`s are and look at thier role inside an engine. Then consider the forces put on them when the crankshaft loads up. IE the clutch is depressed.

In short. Dont ride the clutch.

Just use the handbrake, its what it was designed for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Do whichever the situation needs. You're taught as a learner to use the hand brake since it is much more difficult to stall from the handbrake, especially on a road that is even slightly uphill.
After a while you'll probably stop using the handbrake unless you're foot wants a rest from the clutch
Reply 10
Don't sit on the brakes, you'll annoy everyone behind you with the glare of the brakes.

It's not hard to put the handbrake on if you'll be there longer than about 5 secs. Don't be lazy!
Reply 11
You were taught a particular way for a reason. Following traffic will not appreciate the glare from brake lights, especially at night. Also, holding biting point with foot on footbrake is just asking for trouble if you try to set off too quickly or make a slight error. You're risking a stall, and if this happens at a critical moment in a busy traffic light junction, you'll cause chaos.

Use the handbrake properly, for your own as well as everyone else's benefit. It's there to be used.
Reply 12
Any driver who has their brake lights on when stopped for more than 2 or 3 seconds with another stopped behind them is a complete moron

There is no need for it and it comes down to laziness and complete disregard for the driver behind
If it's flat enough, I use neither :wink:
Reply 14
It depends on how long I am going to remain stationary. If I'm only going to be sat there for 5 seconds, I'll use the footbreak. If not, I use my handbreak. Like others have said, it's not the best idea to sit on the footbreak for extended periods of time; especially at night!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Holding your brake with the brake lights on shouldn't annoy the person behind, almost everyone in an automatic will have brake lights on during a stop.

When I drove a manual, I didn't hold the brake when there was no need but also didn't keep the clutch at its biting point.

On a hill, I would keep the brake down or handbrake if the hill was really steep then lift the clutch enough so the car doesn't roll and release the brake.

This shouldn't damage your clutch, I think it has a even lesser impact than actually changing gears unless you're an absolutely seamless gear changer. And also holding the car on the clutch should only be for a like a second or less once you get use to doing it.

In short, get an auto!! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Sometimes, I just put the car in neutral and take all feet off the pedals.
It's only necessary to put the hand break on if you are stopped on a hill, and so are going to roll back if you do not otherwise. If its not all that steep, I just use the footbreak.
Reply 17
Don't hold it on the clutch - you'll cause unnecessary wear. You can use the footbrake if you want, but if anything happens, the handbrake is the safest bet.
Reply 18
why would anybody neg my question? anyway thanks for all the replys.
Original post by naman
Hi guys, i recently passed my test and i was taught to use the handbrake whenever i stopped at a red light or something. i am now going to get my own car and i feel that it is too much effort every time to use the hb. can i not use the footbrake without rolling back? i mean by holding the clutch up to the biting point and then pressing/ releasing the footbrake as required? thanks

It's hardly 'too much effort' to use the hand break tbh. If you have good clutch control though, then don't bother.

EDIT: Some of these responses are just :lolwut: Who on Earth would get annoyed by the "glare of the break lights" Just WTF.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending