University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

nb0
well done you.

if i may butt my nose in about the union stuff
committee members of uclu itself, which is a separate matter to the societies, are not transphobic.
the summer ball will always be expensive. it pays for the rest of the events which you all attend which make a massive loss throughout the year.
unprofessionalism is an interesting point to raise. if you are referring to people being bad at their jobs wot they are paid for but not hte elected people, that's one side to it. if you are referring to the people who we ucl students "elect" to run our union, that's another side. i wonder if anybody not with their face fully inside the union accounts realises just how much of a loss the bars and cafes make? it's only propped up by bloomsbury fitness. if we didn't have that gym, we wouldn't have the bars and cafes. it would be financially impossible at the current prices. everyone probably realises that they make a loss, but it's scary when you know how much. it doesn't really matter of course, because the gym DOES prop it up, and the summer ball DOES pay for all the club nights and give it a go and so on things throughout the year. such is how a central london union works.

i just joined tsr this second so i totes dont need to do **** about the phised passwords, right?

Lol welcome back. Suppose given your position you know more about it than me; what's your opinion on the name changes? Probably was an overreaction on my part.
(edited 11 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2241
It is Done becuase they are trying to reduce the drinking culture and the whole getting too mashedin freshers week. They are trying to make it welcome week so people act calmer. It is part of appeasing ucl. Et voila, sort of.
Did you guys get the cultural advice email?

A white European student from a working class background was invited by her new PhD supervisor, who was from an upper middle class, Cambridge educated background, to dine with him and two other students at the supervisor’s private club. When selecting from the menu, the supervisor invited the student to choose from the wine-list.

The student felt intimidated and was worried she would be perceived as ignorant. The supervisor thought he was being kind and generous whereas the student, who knew nothing about wine, felt uncomfortable in this situation.

Only at UCL :rofl:
Reply 2243
Original post by Noodlzzz
Did you guys get the cultural advice email?

A white European student from a working class background was invited by her new PhD supervisor, who was from an upper middle class, Cambridge educated background, to dine with him and two other students at the supervisor’s private club. When selecting from the menu, the supervisor invited the student to choose from the wine-list.

The student felt intimidated and was worried she would be perceived as ignorant. The supervisor thought he was being kind and generous whereas the student, who knew nothing about wine, felt uncomfortable in this situation.

Only at UCL :rofl:

Brilliant. Do PhD students often get taken to private clubs for dinner with their supervisors? I might just have to stay on at UCL...

The first example amused me:

The student is initially surprised when encouraged to challenge received wisdom by, for example, critically appraising widely cited theories and published evidence in the field. In the student’s country of origin, facts were taught as ‘the truth’ whereas at UCL students are expected to question and critique received wisdom.

because the exact opposite happened to me on erasmus in Italy. They don't expect independent thought and interpretation there. In one exam I was asked "Was Rossellini a good choice to direct Christian propaganda films?". He got pretty ****ty with me when I gave my own opinion rather than merely parrotting back what the author of the textbook had said. It was the same in my philosophy module, which just baffles me completely- how can you teach philosophy as fact?!
Reply 2244
WHERE ARE MY BLAHHHDY RESULTS.
bah.
Reply 2245
Original post by rockrunride
Lol welcome back. Suppose given your position you know more about it than me; what's your opinion on the name changes? Probably was an overreaction on my part.

oh and did you know. i resigned from the trustees in like april. i think april. it's such balls.
Reply 2246
Today i discovered the toilets in the south junction have a shower. It blew my mind. But what is the purpose if this? Theres one ib foster court too. It reminds of something in a rugby club

Maybe the photo isnt here i'll see what i can do
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2247
If a final year module has the choice of either coursework or an exam, do we have to make the choice before the course starts? They have different course codes so I assume so?

So many essays next year. I'm going to have two or three 5-6,000 word ones in term one. And then four 3,000 ones in term two. At least it makes exam time less stressful though, and theoretically I'll know my results for 2/2.5 out of 4CUs by the end of term two.

On the plus side, I forgot how few hours there are at UCL compared to my Italian uni. Party! :party:
Reply 2248
I would pick essays without a doubt. Especially if your lecturer even if its vague, will kind of discuss itbwith you before you submit it. I hate exams.

I would guess that because of the codes you'dhave to choose before, but maybe you could change once youve started if Jakob approves.

Are you picking petrarch?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Original post by nb0
oh and did you know. i resigned from the trustees in like april. i think april. it's such balls.

How come? Something to put on your CV for sure, a trusteeship is a fair wedge of running the thing..

PJ991
I would pick essays without a doubt. Especially if your lecturer even if its vague, will kind of discuss itbwith you before you submit it. I hate exams.

I think it depends on so many factors. I've personally not had a single module over the last four years that wasn't assessed at least 60% by an exam, and that very much piled the stress on this year for sure. However I did have two assessed essays in Spanish that I very much thought were of a similar standard yet they received wildly different marks. It depends on where your forte is and what the balance is like. The bad thing about essays and take home exams is that they're obviously assessed to a higher standard and basically "forgetting about it" isn't as easy as it is for an exam. Definitely more academic and more deserving of academic recognition, though. And obviously, the bad thing about exams is that they're so dependent on your state of mind when you take them.
Reply 2250
Original post by PJ991

I would guess that because of the codes you'dhave to choose before, but maybe you could change once youve started if Jakob approves.

Are you picking petrarch?

Yeah, but I'll aready be writing two 5-6,000 word essays in term one so I don't know if I want to do another. I was hoping to do the course to get a feel for whether I'd be better in an essay or an exam. But I'll probably go for the exam just to ease up the termtime pressure.

Exams are more pressure on the day, but you're not expected to know as much. Whereas essays you aren't relying on memory, but equally they expect far more information. I tend to do better in exams- I've never got more than a 67 in an essay, but I've got a few firsts in proper exams. And in the modules that are 50:50 exam:essay, I tend to pull my marks up a fair bit through the exam. But equally I like getting work out of the way and knowing my marks in advance, and sometimes if you have a course in Term One, it can be quite hard to pull out your best for an exam five months later. :dontknow:

I'm considering Petrarch. Mainly because it fits my timetable pretty well. I don't really have that great an interest in poetry, although I guess since I've completely avoided doing Dante so far, I should at least do one classic. How did you find the exams this year?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2251
How come? Something to put on your CV for sure, a trusteeship is a fair wedge of running the thing..

it may be. But if i could communicate poroperly the experience of that trustee board and its meetings, you'd understand. The non student trustees block the students, the students either blindly obey council becuase their exalted leader has council as essentially their puppet, the sabbs turn up late, if at all, and play on their ipads bought by the union or do other things and say nothing, the employees talk utter *******s and trump the students at every chance.
Reply 2252

There's no point of doing a thing just because it might look good on a CV; you can't really do the job well unless you enjoy it. Besides, life's too short to waste time on something you dislike and don't need to do.
Any 2nd/3rd years - when did you get your deposit back from halls?
Original post by Ivanka
There's no point of doing a thing just because it might look good on a CV; you can't really do the job well unless you enjoy it. Besides, life's too short to waste time on something you dislike and don't need to do.

Tell that to all the graduates this year willing to do anything for a foothold!

nb0
it may be. But if i could communicate poroperly the experience of that trustee board and its meetings, you'd understand. The non student trustees block the students, the students either blindly obey council becuase their exalted leader has council as essentially their puppet, the sabbs turn up late, if at all, and play on their ipads bought by the union or do other things and say nothing, the employees talk utter *******s and trump the students at every chance.

So it's pretty much non-democratic then? Not a great advert for student politics, not least when a 14% turnout [for the Grant referendum] is described as "whopping". I know it's a sport for the interested minority, but still, the union could at least try and make mass involvement more palatable.
Reply 2255
Tell that to all the graduates this year willing to do anything for a foothold!

Don't tell me that's the only way to secure a job...

My impression is that all UCL students are constantly brainwashed to take up several leadership positions (unless you're a president, your life is screwed) and get firsts. This leads to many ambitious and perfectionist, yet depressed individuals at uni. What's more, some of them even don't care about ethical aspects of their activities, which leads to immoral acts.

I'm convinced that this mentality should be reconsidered.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Any 2nd/3rd years - when did you get your deposit back from halls?

If I remember rightly, I wouldn't sit around waiting for it. I think mine came back like mid/late summer?
Reply 2257
Are SSEES timetables from this academic year available online anywhere? Can't find them on the common website...
Original post by Ivanka
Don't tell me that's the only way to secure a job...

My impression is that all UCL students are constantly brainwashed to take up several leadership positions (unless you're a president, your life is screwed) and get firsts. This leads to many ambitious and perfectionist, yet depressed individuals at uni. What's more, some of them even don't care about ethical aspects of their activities, which leads to immoral acts.

I'm convinced that this mentality should be reconsidered.

Well it's not, but given the exposure to London-based employment in London itself, seeing suit-clad people most days gives students ambition. Add that to UCL being quite a reputable uni, and you have quite a mix that can cause perfectionist attitudes.

I was sort of socially perfectionist this year in leading a team to a BUCS championship, and that was because I absolutely love my sport with a passion and wanted it to be the best tour weekend the team will remember forever, but I understand there are quite a few people taking committee positions just for the CV spot. If you're saying this is the wrong reason to take up leadership, I totally agree with you. We've had too many committee members in the past doing nothing or even not attending UCL.

Same with academics really. Work hard, but not so it kills you; we take our degrees because we are interested in them. But then again a degree is often seen as a necessity for a job nowadays.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2259
if anyone wants any Dutch books, there's a load going free outside the Dutch dept. on the first floor of Foster Court. By a load, there's easily a few hundred there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending