The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hey guys!
I just got offered a place at Andrew Ure Hall. I backread through the thread and read some negative stuff about it. Anyone have any opinions on it?
I'm getting my MBA at Strath Business School, sooooo psyched!!!
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 181
Original post by KiaraMarissa
Ohhh exciting. I've yet to book my flight. I got my IB mark today which was a point higher than I needed! So yay. All I need now is to pass my physics which shouldn't be too difficult. But I just don't want to jinx it by buying a ticket. I might still miss my requirements.

Flights truly are a steal. If I book today it will cost me €50,- with EasyJet for a one way ticket. Did you buy a return ticket?
I will probably fly over on September 17th, but my parents want to go a couple days earlier so we can set up a Scottish bank account and phone plan and stuff like that. What about you?

Ahh - you're doing IB! I guess that is why there are less issues with your diploma then. Congratulations :smile: that's very good! I read of a lot of students in another thread who also missed their offers, so I guess you've been working really well!

Yeaah, I am still wondering if I should buy another flight in August to bring luggage over and visit my boyfriend, but I am also scared to do that, because what if anything doesn't go after plan? The translator who is currently working on my Abitur is taking ages :/.

I am going to come over on the 16th, just one day before Freshers' Week starts. Official move-in day would be the saturday but my mum is celebrating her birthday with all the family, so I rather stay for that.

Oh - bank account, yeah, I guess that's something I need to sort out as well :/ I really didn't think much about it yet, but I will really need one. Did you read into it already? Anything which appeals to you?
Reply 182
Original post by kimir
Hey guys!
I just got offered a place at Andrew Ure Hall. I backread through the thread and read some negative stuff about it. Anyone have any opinions on it?
I'm getting my MBA at Strath Business School, sooooo psyched!!!

It is just a bit further away from the campus village if I remember correctly. Other than that, it seems alright :smile: Congrats on your offer, the MBAs at Strathclyde seem to have quite a good reputation!
Original post by alaska.
Ahh - you're doing IB! I guess that is why there are less issues with your diploma then. Congratulations :smile: that's very good! I read of a lot of students in another thread who also missed their offers, so I guess you've been working really well!

Yeaah, I am still wondering if I should buy another flight in August to bring luggage over and visit my boyfriend, but I am also scared to do that, because what if anything doesn't go after plan? The translator who is currently working on my Abitur is taking ages :/.

I am going to come over on the 16th, just one day before Freshers' Week starts. Official move-in day would be the saturday but my mum is celebrating her birthday with all the family, so I rather stay for that.

Oh - bank account, yeah, I guess that's something I need to sort out as well :/ I really didn't think much about it yet, but I will really need one. Did you read into it already? Anything which appeals to you?

No I don't actually do IB. It's rather peculiar, but my school offers IB English A2 as an extra subject in combination with our regular national program (similar to your Abitur). So I just have that one subject. I haven't missed my offer though? I got higher than they requested. I did put in quite a lot of effort.

The fact that you need an official translation is making me really nervous. I will be sending in my documents near the end of August so that doesn't leave me with much time if they need more information or a translation. Maybe I should contact admissions to ask.

I haven't investigated it much, but I think I might just go with a RBS student account. I'll also keep my Dutch account so the Dutch government can put my student bursary on there. Otherwise I have to pay extra.
Original post by Lotfil
hey! finally got an unconditional offer, UCAS sent me THE email yesterday ^^^ however, I still haven't received ANYTHING from Strathclyde..

I haven't had anything direct from strath about anything other than accommodation and ages back when there were the open days, so I wouldnt worry about that, they do it all through ucas :smile:)
Reply 185
Original post by KiaraMarissa
No I don't actually do IB. It's rather peculiar, but my school offers IB English A2 as an extra subject in combination with our regular national program (similar to your Abitur). So I just have that one subject. I haven't missed my offer though? I got higher than they requested. I did put in quite a lot of effort.

The fact that you need an official translation is making me really nervous. I will be sending in my documents near the end of August so that doesn't leave me with much time if they need more information or a translation. Maybe I should contact admissions to ask.

I haven't investigated it much, but I think I might just go with a RBS student account. I'll also keep my Dutch account so the Dutch government can put my student bursary on there. Otherwise I have to pay extra.

Oh, my mistake! It is really quite convenient then :smile: Oh, I think I was a little bit confusing :biggrin: I just wanted to say that you shouldn't have worried yourself then, because the outcome was pretty good. I was just talking about people missing their offers as well, it is always sad to hear that people predicted that they have done better in their exams! So we should always be happy we don't have to go through that (do you get what I mean now? :biggrin:). I am sure that you put quite a lot of effort in :smile:

Maybe the Science department won't make such a big thing out of it. The business department requested it, however I was a bit confused. My conditions were to send evidence that I achieved 12 points or better in three subjects including Mathmatics and English. So surely, they know what the points mean?! :biggrin: Oh well, admissions is not always understandable. Asking would be a good idea I guess. They accepted you anyway, so maybe you can just give that to them a bit later, I mean you clearly meet your conditions by then. Normally asking always clears things up.

Yeah, I think I will go with RBS as well. My boyfriend says that nearly all of his friends have an account at RBS. RBS has loads of cashmashines all over Glasgow and they don't charge you if you get money at a cashmashine elsewhere. Also he said, that I would get the railcard for half-price which sounded pretty useful. But I will keep my German bank account as well.
Reply 186
Hey does anyone know whether there is a deadline to send in the diploma? I only received mine on Friday, so I'll go to the post office tomorrow morning to send it in. Luckily I meet the conditions, but I'm worried to be late...
Reply 187
Original post by steph.b
Hey does anyone know whether there is a deadline to send in the diploma? I only received mine on Friday, so I'll go to the post office tomorrow morning to send it in. Luckily I meet the conditions, but I'm worried to be late...

I don't know if there is a fixed deadline, but I think if you sent it in by the end of August everything will be ok.
You don't need to send it by post. I sent in my documents by e-mail and they accepted it, you can try sending them an e-mail as well or calling them first to ask. :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by Vesselina
I don't know if there is a fixed deadline, but I think if you sent it in by the end of August everything will be ok.
You don't need to send it by post. I sent in my documents by e-mail and they accepted it, you can try sending them an e-mail as well or calling them first to ask. :smile:

Thank you!
I haven't found an e-mail address where to send my documents, could you please give it to me? I think I'll send it in twice to be sure!
How long did it take them to reply to you? And did you already receive an accomodation offer afterwards?
Aaaagh, hopefully I'll get the accommodation letter tomorrow... It's such a pain in the arse knowing that it's on its way, but that it has been like that for a week now... Damn you Royal Mail :F
Reply 190
Original post by steph.b
Thank you!
I haven't found an e-mail address where to send my documents, could you please give it to me? I think I'll send it in twice to be sure!
How long did it take them to reply to you? And did you already receive an accomodation offer afterwards?

As I am applying for Architectural Studies I sent my documents to the woman who is responsible for admissions in this department. ( What course are you applying to? ) It took her really long to reply and my offer hasn't yet been updated to unconditional but she sent me an e-mail that soon it will be updated. So, I haven't received an offer for accomodation as my offer is still not changed. :smile:
Reply 191
I applied for Journalism and Creative Writing, but I'll surely send my diploma in via post tomorrow as they told me to do in my offer!
I hope everything is going to work out!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Whaaat, apparently they've sent the offer of accommodation to me via e-mail a week ago... I haven't received a thing! Lady in the office said that she will resend it to me later today.

Really odd, they have the correct e-mail and everything, I have also checked my spam box but nothing had come through!
Reply 193
Original post by Vesselina
As I am applying for Architectural Studies I sent my documents to the woman who is responsible for admissions in this department. ( What course are you applying to? ) It took her really long to reply and my offer hasn't yet been updated to unconditional but she sent me an e-mail that soon it will be updated. So, I haven't received an offer for accomodation as my offer is still not changed. :smile:

If you're talking about Aileen Alexander then you should call her! I had a similar problem and I couldn't get anything done until I called her and put her on the spot!
My offer was changed the next day :smile:
I got offered Chancellors! :biggrin: woohoo! (even though the price has gone up a fiver).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 195
ahh still nothing. got a Final Certificate of Acceptance but thats all. I sent my Diploma and IELTS results to the e-mail of the business school and they told me that there wasnt anything else I could do, so now I just have to wait for the Occupancy agreement! When did you guys got your offers? it was an email, wasnt it?
Agh, there must be some problems with the e-mail, still didn't receive it today! I really wonder why the e-mail won't come through...
Reply 197
Original post by Lotfil
ahh still nothing. got a Final Certificate of Acceptance but thats all. I sent my Diploma and IELTS results to the e-mail of the business school and they told me that there wasnt anything else I could do, so now I just have to wait for the Occupancy agreement! When did you guys got your offers? it was an email, wasnt it?

Which email did you use? I have to scan something in for them tomorrow and wonder if the student adviser gave me the right one...

My Abitur is finally translated :smile:)))

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 198
Original post by alaska.
Which email did you use? I have to scan something in for them tomorrow and wonder if the student adviser gave me the right one...

My Abitur is finally translated :smile:)))

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

Yayyyy!!! :smile: Looking forward to meeting you! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Finallyyyy!!!

I got a room from James Blyth :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending