The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2320
Original post by Ivanka
Do we have to pay even if we are committee members?

I was treasurer and I did...
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Ivanka
Do we have to pay even if we are committee members?

Yes, unequivocally yes.
Can anyone tell me what second year Use of French and French Oral are like? as in, compared to first year? I only have to take one unit of French :pierre:
Original post by Inner Poise
Can anyone tell me what second year Use of French and French Oral are like? as in, compared to first year? I only have to take one unit of French :pierre:

Pretty much the same. In F2001 you still get a "dossier" ie a stapled book of photocopies, just the lesson is condensed to an hour. Can't remember for the life of me what we did though.

F2002 is much the same; still an "oral dossier" to do, but one of your chapters will be linked to a discursive article from which you draw a presentation. Examiners will select one of the other two chapters and ask questions.
Original post by rockrunride
Pretty much the same. In F2001 you still get a "dossier" ie a stapled book of photocopies, just the lesson is condensed to an hour. Can't remember for the life of me what we did though.

F2002 is much the same; still an "oral dossier" to do, but one of your chapters will be linked to a discursive article from which you draw a presentation. Examiners will select one of the other two chapters and ask questions.

As I suspected then, thanks :smile: I hope they will be slightly more interesting than last year, though as I'm electing to do them I can't complain ...
Original post by JoannaMilano
So now everyone's confused about the YA project. Apparently it's only worth 8% of our degree, not 25%. And I don't understand why at all. I'm just hoping they're right. All because of this clause which makes no sense to me at all?

Ah hell no, mine was given a weighting of 5 (this was 2010-11) and i did absolutely terrible in it. I'll cry if they've reduced the weighting now!
Reply 2326
So now everyone's confused about the YA project. Apparently it's only worth 8% of our degree, not 25%. And I don't understand why at all. I'm just hoping they're right. All because of this clause which makes no sense to me at all?

This document says that the weighting goes 1:3:3:5.

Basically when you work out your four year average, you say you did 4 CU in 1st year, 5 in 2nd, and 4 in 4th. Add the modules for second and third years together when you work out your weighted average and calculate it 1/3/5. It basically counts the same as a CU in second year.
Original post by PJ991
it's all I want:moon:

I came across a load of alumni magazines at work last week, and thought, I want them too!

Did your friend get any sort of certificate/recognition from UCL

(I'm pretty sure Kele Okereke dropped out of KCL early, and he still has his window alongside the other alumni at the Strand building)

He didn't get a certificate, probably because he didn't bother to ask. But I'm sure they'll give you some recognition of attending the uni.
Ah, cheers. So when you work out your four year average, are you weighting it out of 9 or 12?

I'm a lingustic not a mathmatician. Only problem is, so are everyone who run SELCS...

9. Say you get 63 average (of modules that count) in Y1, 64 in Y2, 65 in Y3 and 66 in Y4, you first take your 63 since the weighting of Y1 is 1, for Y2+3 you then average your 64 and 65 together (because they're worth the same) to get 64.5 and then multiply it by 3 to get 193.5, and for final year you multiply 66 by 5 to get 330.

Then add it all together, to get 586.5, and divide it by nine (the sum of 1, 3 and 5) to get your weighted average for four years. In this example it's 65 and one sixth.
Reply 2330
Does anyone have an idea how likely a student with a certain first-year average is to get a place at a university in Spain for their Year Abroad? I'd love to go to either Granada or Valencia, but I'm afraid I'll end up in Madrid or Mexico (because they seem to be very popular). I could make an independent app for Seville, but I'm not fond of extra fees so much.
Original post by Ivanka
Does anyone have an idea how likely a student with a certain first-year average is to get a place at a university in Spain for their Year Abroad? I'd love to go to either Granada or Valencia, but I'm afraid I'll end up in Madrid or Mexico (because they seem to be very popular). I could make an independent app for Seville, but I'm not fond of extra fees so much.

I got to Valencia with a pretty standard Y1 average. Be warned though; whilst Valencia is amazing as a city, the uni's big, bureaucratic and loves the pernickety.
Reply 2332
Anyone else having trouble enrolling on Portico? I've done all the sections and am on the final page with the tick boxes. Tick all the boxes, submit and it keeps coming back with a red message saying "X is a mandatory field" even though I haven't left anything blank...

Which Internet browser are you using? They stated that it wouldn't run on Chrome, so I used Explorer instead...
Reply 2333
So are the grades on portico our final grades or provisional grades? And can they change? I am on the cuff of a 2:1 and I would be really annoyed if I actually had a few marks less. :s-smilie:
Reply 2334
Original post by Valh
So are the grades on portico our final grades or provisional grades? And can they change? I am on the cuff of a 2:1 and I would be really annoyed if I actually had a few marks less. :s-smilie:

Afaik they are final. If at the end of year 3 you are on the border between two marks (say 69.4%) I think you can request the Board to look into that and round it up. At least this seems to be my dept's policy.
Reply 2335
Original post by lilys
Afaik they are final. If at the end of year 3 you are on the border between two marks (say 69.4%) I think you can request the Board to look into that and round it up. At least this seems to be my dept's policy.

Great, thanks. I have just done Y1 so even if they do change it's not a big deal, but it would still be nicer to have a 2:1 =)
Reply 2336
i'm such a loser with these elcs courses. i'm reading all their **** instead of doing reading for philosophy. i really ought to get my **** together and do proper reading instead.

...it's hot this weekend.
Reply 2337
Anybody else gone to McGill for their exchange year? I'm in Montreal now, need to find somewhere to live though!
Reply 2338
Original post by nb0
i'm such a loser with these elcs courses. i'm reading all their **** instead of doing reading for philosophy. i really ought to get my **** together and do proper reading instead.

...it's hot this weekend.

I'm pretty pissed off with my ELCS courses as well. I ended up with a course I wanted to do, then another one that is fine (but I'd prefer another one) and then one that I'll hate. To be honest, I'm afraid I won't be allowed to do any outside options in the final year at all - theoretically, we're allowed to, but I have no ****ing idea how these allocations work. UCL has been disappointing me since the day I arrived there.
Reply 2339
Original post by Ivanka
I'm pretty pissed off with my ELCS courses as well. I ended up with a course I wanted to do, then another one that is fine (but I'd prefer another one) and then one that I'll hate. To be honest, I'm afraid I won't be allowed to do any outside options in the final year at all - theoretically, we're allowed to, but I have no ****ing idea how these allocations work. UCL has been disappointing me since the day I arrived there.

Same here.:wink: I didn't get any ELCS modules of my choice. Then one of them was cancelled and replaced with another, even worse one. Worst of all we weren't allowed the chance of picking another that possibly still had space. We just had to do it.

The rules on outside options seemed to change last year. In my first year, it was easy to do, and I did 1.0 CU in SSEES. Then for second year, you had to go get approval.

(Just realised I never replied. The latter is correct, you won't owe UCL anything)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending