The Student Room Group

Can i commute from birmingham to leicester every day

question above.

Im have offer in clearing for Mathematics and Actuarial Science at University of Leicester.

And also offer for Mathematics and Economics at Aston University. They give a placement year as well.

I live in Birmingham and do want to stay at home so what should i choose? Would i be able to complete that long commute every day in my car?

So Aston or Leicester?

And is living away from home better or can yiu get a similar uni experience if you stay home?

EDIT! I am going to Aston and going to stay at home. Commuting time would be a nightmare. Thank you everyone for your help.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Take about an hour each way.
Reply 2
Original post by Pn94
Take about an hour each way.

do you think thats practical though?
Reply 3
I thought it was at least 50 miles between each city in the UK? If that is the case then you're looking at an hour train ride minimum. Why didn't you apply to Birmingham uni? cos now you want to stay at home but the better uni is in another city.
I go to see my boyfriend from Leicester to Birmingham and tbh, commuting to Leicester using your own cars is a brilliant idea. As long as your not using the trains from there to here and here to there as they are packed and tiny and you can easily get lost as they don't have many customer advisers!
Reply 5
Original post by Strawberry Blue
I go to see my boyfriend from Leicester to Birmingham and tbh, commuting to Leicester using your own cars is a brilliant idea. As long as your not using the trains from there to here and here to there as they are packed and tiny and you can easily get lost as they don't have many customer advisers!

Do you think its practical though?
Original post by wenger16
Do you think its practical though?

Sorry but can you elaborate ? :smile:
Reply 7
question above.

Im have offer in clearing for Mathematics and Actuarial Science at University of Leicester.

And also offer for Mathematics and Economics at Aston University. They give a placement year as well.

I live in Birmingham and do want to stay at home so what should i choose? Would i be able to complete that long commute every day in my car?

Aston sounds better to me. Commuting is such a chore and expensive.... railway journey's are the least of it, there's getting to the station, from the station blah, blah. If you drive even there's the hassle of parking and the cost of petrol ever rising. The placement year at Aston will be invaluable too, especially in the type of field you're interested in. Also aston has good rep for this kind of course. To be honest it will so smooth just going to a university in the same city as you live and being just next to the city centre too. Unless the course in Leicester is really much better than Aston it wouldn't be worth it for me.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Strawberry Blue
Sorry but can you elaborate ? :smile:

I mean if i was spent an hour or so getting to my uni everyday wouldn't be tiring and tedious?
I mean if i was spent an hour or so getting to my uni everyday wouldn't be tiring and tedious?

I suppose it would be tiring but maybe you can use your car somedays and on lazy days catch the train?

You've answered your own question.
Reply 11
It really depends if your willing to give up the time, tbh. If you say had an early lecture, that means say out of the house at the latest 8 o'clock. Plus then your futher away from uni facilities such as the library, so you might end up leaving late at night. If your fine with it, do it and I'l see you in Leicester! If not, Aston's a great university and it's close enough to you to make commuting easy =]
Reply 12
And is living away from home better or can yiu get a similar uni experience if you stay home?

Yes. No.

I'm not at uni, but I thought this was pretty much self evident?
Reply 13
I'd definitely say aston would be the much better choice. Getting from birmingham to leicester, possibly in rush hour traffic, every day would cost a bomb and being very tedious on your part.

I think it would be, and think about when there are traffic jams or when it snows:frown:.. I would go to Aston.
Reply 15
Original post by catoswyn
Aston sounds better to me. Commuting is such a chore and expensive.... railway journey's are the least of it, there's getting to the station, from the station blah, blah. If you drive even there's the hassle of parking and the cost of petrol ever rising. The placement year at Aston will be invaluable too, especially in the type of field you're interested in. Also aston has good rep for this kind of course. To be honest it will so smooth just going to a university in the same city as you live and being just next to the city centre too. Unless the course in Leicester is really much better than Aston it wouldn't be worth it for me.

:smile:

Yeah the placement year is quite important to me.
Reply 16
Original post by CherryCats
I think it would be, and think about when there are traffic jams or when it snows:frown:.. I would go to Aston.

Astons a good Uni too
Yeah the placement year is quite important to me.

It would be great for getting contacts that could be very valuable in the future, as well as a great learning experience. Aston certainly looks to be your better option. Plus if you live at home you will save a lot of money!
Reply 18
do you think thats practical though?

Depends if you can be arsed.

Aston's a very good uni anyway btw.
Reply 19

i know a few people who travel between 1 - 1.45 hours to get to uni, you'd probably get tired of it in the 2nd year if its more than 1 hr 30 mins or something but 1 hour isn't bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending