The Student Room Group

Russell Group Unis View Towards Resits of Bad AS?

I was predicted AAAA but unfortunately achieved BBCD :eek: :frown:

All of the unis I was looking at were good Russell Group - Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol etc.

I realise that Oxbridge is out of the question now, but what are the views of the other good unis in the UK towards bad AS levels?

I inted to drop the D and resit one B and the C, my school said they would be willing to still predict me AAA, possibly A*AA - but despite this will I be rejected by all the good unis based on my failure this year?

Feel like my life is ruined :frown:
Reply 1
interested in that too, will have to resit 1 paper and 2 practicals.
anyone?
Usually they're fine as long as they're within the 2 years, although you're unlikely to be predicted AAA or A*AA as predictions can usually only go up one grade.
Reply 3
Don't feel like your life is ruined!

I take it you're about to go into year 13?

You can resit a lot - I resat 5 I think and I only applied to Russell Group unis and the situation was the same for a lot of my friends. Something to think about though is that you are doing that on top of your A2 work, and in my experience it does really take time out but it is possible if you can manage your time well, especially if you start revising now and work out the kinks before school starts. Another important point is that some modules are quite easy to resit if you are taking the subject to A2, for example, maths (if it's the same topic because you are building on it anyway so you should be better on it) for example I retook FP1 but because I was studying for FP2 I didn't really need to revise FP1 at all. Some subjects, e.g. history/geography/english, will be harder.

Is there a reason (e.g. health) why you didn't do as well as expected?
Reply 4
In my AS year, I sat English AS, Chemistry AS, Maths AS and Maths A2 (and do Further Maths AS and A2 next year).

Unfortunately, my respective results were A, C, A and A

I'm going to resit Core Maths 4 in hope of boosting my A2 Maths to an A*, however I have no idea how to approach my Chemistry.

If I was to drop it, I would only be doing Further Maths, and English Literature next year, however I would still end up with three A levels.

However, if I kept it on, and resat both Unit 1 and 2 Chemistry exams, I could risk hindering my other subjects, and still get a low mark in Chemistry anyway.

One idea I have had, is to drop Chemistry, and try and do an entire Psychology AS and A2 in one year. This is a subject which has always interested me, and I'm hoping it would be easier than effectively having to cover Chemistry AS and A2 in the same time.

I was initially aiming to apply for Law at Cambridge, however these results have left me a bit bewildered as to what approach to take, especially considering Cambridge look extensively at AS results.

The challenge of doing the Psychology A level is not as much an issue as universities' views on such a change.

Any advice would be appreciated as soon as possible, as I'd like to start revising for either subject fairly soon!

P.S. I have to admit I'm a complete charlatan when it comes to Chemistry, however a C grade was still a massive shock :P
If you resit in January, do you get your results before your ucas form is sent off? i dont remember when i sent it? but if so, you dont even put your original result :smile:,

also no!
i applied to University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, University of Glasgow and two less well rated universitys with AS results BBCC with predicted grades of ABB, i got all five interviews and offers, even where the requierments where higher than my predicted grades, such as Manchesters AAA-AAB who offered me AAB :smile:

I came out with AAA, your life is not ruined, you can still do it! get your head down, you will be fine!
Reply 6
Original post by Horchata
Don't feel like your life is ruined!

I take it you're about to go into year 13?

You can resit a lot - I resat 5 I think and I only applied to Russell Group unis and the situation was the same for a lot of my friends. Something to think about though is that you are doing that on top of your A2 work, and in my experience it does really take time out but it is possible if you can manage your time well, especially if you start revising now and work out the kinks before school starts. Another important point is that some modules are quite easy to resit if you are taking the subject to A2, for example, maths (if it's the same topic because you are building on it anyway so you should be better on it) for example I retook FP1 but because I was studying for FP2 I didn't really need to revise FP1 at all. Some subjects, e.g. history/geography/english, will be harder.

Is there a reason (e.g. health) why you didn't do as well as expected?

Yes i'm about to go into year 13, doing English (B), Drama (B), History (C) and dropping Spanish (the D)

I have been an A* Student in English all year, i got 77/80 for my coursework and then a D in the exam :eek: which is why I got a B overall, though I didnt finish the exam which may be why.

I will resit the english exam I think and one/both of my history exams as I got B in one and D in the other :frown:, then I think I will just leave Drama and work insanely hard to pull it up to and A next year.

I had a lot of family problems this year which I think may have disrupted my studies, I certainly didn't work as hard as I could have, but I dont think that universities take that into account do they?

What unis did you apply to out of interest? :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by sarahlabrosse
If you resit in January, do you get your results before your ucas form is sent off? i dont remember when i sent it? but if so, you dont even put your original result :smile:,

also no!
i applied to University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, University of Glasgow and two less well rated universitys with AS results BBCC with predicted grades of ABB, i got all five interviews and offers, even where the requierments where higher than my predicted grades, such as Manchesters AAA-AAB who offered me AAB :smile:

I came out with AAA, your life is not ruined, you can still do it! get your head down, you will be fine!

No unfortunately at my school we hand our forms in from the open date in October :frown: though I am interested to know when the January resit results are, is it just in August with the A2 results?

Thankyou so much for your response thats really reassuring!! :smile:
Did you have an awesome personal statement?
Also, what did you apply to study, if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by Cazza180
No unfortunately at my school we hand our forms in from the open date in October :frown: though I am interested to know when the January resit results are, is it just in August with the A2 results?

Thankyou so much for your response thats really reassuring!! :smile:
Did you have an awesome personal statement?
Also, what did you apply to study, if you dont mind me asking?

Ahh ok, thats annoying! No, January results are in Mid-March, do you not do moduals in January :smile:?

Good! Erm, well my teachers said that it was really good, and i know my refferances where too, so i guesse i was pretty lucky with my application in that way :smile:

Slightly diffrent things in diffrent places, anatomy, human biology, biology and "pharmacology, physiology, anatomy and human biology" but only one place (liverpool) offered the course i actually wanted to study which is anatomy and human biology, so that is what i have ended up acceptimg! :smile:
Reply 9
Yes i'm about to go into year 13, doing English (B), Drama (B), History (C) and dropping Spanish (the D)

I have been an A* Student in English all year, i got 77/80 for my coursework and then a D in the exam :eek: which is why I got a B overall, though I didnt finish the exam which may be why.

I will resit the english exam I think and one/both of my history exams as I got B in one and D in the other :frown:, then I think I will just leave Drama and work insanely hard to pull it up to and A next year.

I had a lot of family problems this year which I think may have disrupted my studies, I certainly didn't work as hard as I could have, but I dont think that universities take that into account do they?

What unis did you apply to out of interest? :colondollar:

Oxford, Durham, Bristol, UCL and Nottingham. None of them mind resitting (I got an offer from UCL and my friend who is going to study english at oxford retook two exams) so I doubt anywhere else would for the course you want, as far as I know only for medicine it matters.

No unis won't take that into account, unfortunately.

An option that you may have is not to announce your grades on UCAS. For my school, we were told that we had to so I put all my grades down. However, my friend who goes to a different school said that in his school they were told that they didn't have to put their grades (like they put 'tbc') so check with your school.

Where were you thinking about applying and for which subject?
I was predicted AAAA but unfortunately achieved BBCD :eek: :frown:

All of the unis I was looking at were good Russell Group - Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol etc.

I realise that Oxbridge is out of the question now, but what are the views of the other good unis in the UK towards bad AS levels?

I inted to drop the D and resit one B and the C, my school said they would be willing to still predict me AAA, possibly A*AA - but despite this will I be rejected by all the good unis based on my failure this year?

Feel like my life is ruined :frown:

Dude, I re-sat my A-levels and got an offer from University of Exeter and University of Nottingham! (I got into Nottingham btw:tongue:) Just work hard and don't let resits get you down or your aspirations!
Reply 11
Original post by Horchata
Oxford, Durham, Bristol, UCL and Nottingham. None of them mind resitting (I got an offer from UCL and my friend who is going to study english at oxford retook two exams) so I doubt anywhere else would for the course you want, as far as I know only for medicine it matters.

No unis won't take that into account, unfortunately.

An option that you may have is not to announce your grades on UCAS. For my school, we were told that we had to so I put all my grades down. However, my friend who goes to a different school said that in his school they were told that they didn't have to put their grades (like they put 'tbc') so check with your school.

Where were you thinking about applying and for which subject?

Wow they are really good What were your AS grades?
I was looking at cambridge, durham, bristol, warwick, york, kings and UCL. My main objective was cambridge/durham, but i feel i have to change this now, and I havent been to any other open days etc. so i might have to just pick some unis with good reputations! I am applying for English Lit :smile:

If you dont mind me asking what were your AS grades? and what were the grades your friend retook?

I think at my school we have to announce them :frown: unfortunately I believe its only private schools that don't have to now?

Are you at Uni now then?
Reply 12
Original post by sarahlabrosse
Ahh ok, thats annoying! No, January results are in Mid-March, do you not do moduals in January :smile:?

Good! Erm, well my teachers said that it was really good, and i know my refferances where too, so i guesse i was pretty lucky with my application in that way :smile:

Slightly diffrent things in diffrent places, anatomy, human biology, biology and "pharmacology, physiology, anatomy and human biology" but only one place (liverpool) offered the course i actually wanted to study which is anatomy and human biology, so that is what i have ended up acceptimg! :smile:

Ahh I see, no I've never done any January modules before, think that's more of a science thing :tongue: But that's good that the results come back earlier! Otherwise August would be even more stressful!

Ahh I see, hopefully mine will be good too :colondollar:
Wow they all sound so intelligent haha, congrats on getting into Liverpool! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Hi

Sorry to post a question in the middle of a discussion but would like to find out about application to pursue medicine. I was predicted a AAAB for my As but achieved BBCD. Is it possible to apply for medicine. I would be resitting in January but the deadline for application is 15th October.
Reply 14
Wow they are really good What were your AS grades?
I was looking at cambridge, durham, bristol, warwick, york, kings and UCL. My main objective was cambridge/durham, but i feel i have to change this now, and I havent been to any other open days etc. so i might have to just pick some unis with good reputations! I am applying for English Lit :smile:

If you dont mind me asking what were your AS grades? and what were the grades your friend retook?

I think at my school we have to announce them :frown: unfortunately I believe its only private schools that don't have to now?

Are you at Uni now then?

I went to a private school and we had to announce them. I don't think it's to do with the school type but whether your school
a) has looked into not announcing grades
b) is willing to risk not announcing grades

I retook a module where I got 61/100 (when I retook I ended up getting 98/100) and another module where I got a B (not sure what marks) and that didn't go up after retaking. I'm not sure about my friend's grade but it would have been a B or a C.

English lit is a hard course to apply for, you get some really good candidates getting no offers sometimes just out of bad luck. I knew a girl who got 45 for IB and she got no offers first time round!

I definitely think you need to look at more unis because you have picked them all at the top. You have 5 spaces so a couple can be used on risking places like cambridge and durham, but in the end you need to be safe and have a couple of places that you are very likely to get into that you will still enjoy going to.

Btw, I didn't visit most of the unis I applied to and neither did my friends, lol, try to ask people that you know (e.g. older siblings of your friends, cousins, whoever) for feedback on their unis but don't fall for any horror stories!
Ahh I see, no I've never done any January modules before, think that's more of a science thing :tongue: But that's good that the results come back earlier! Otherwise August would be even more stressful!

Ahh I see, hopefully mine will be good too :colondollar:
Wow they all sound so intelligent haha, congrats on getting into Liverpool! :biggrin:

Thats so odd, something like 90% of our college did January moduals! yeh maybe! or an axam board thingg perhaps?

Yes, im sure they will be, dont let it get you down this early oin, you still have a year!

They really arent as smart as they sound ^^ (i hope!) haha, thank you very much! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest