Original post by ManUtdFan333
Ahh I see lol, nah I'm not, I'm in John Foster Hall - Noseley

I'm in Noseley as well (Floor 0, Flat 2) :smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 581
I got into Leicester through clearing, have applied for premium ensuites in John Foster and one in GMS... Really hope they find a place for me lol

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 582
Hello, Leicester was my insurance and they've offered me the most expensive accomodation: Premium Plus Catered En-Suite in John Foster. It was my 5th choice on my preference list. Although I'm pleased that I secured an en-suite, I don't think I can realistically afford it. Is there any chance that I can change my accommodation to a less expensive en-suite room?

i put leicester as my firm choice, i put down john foster premium plus ensuite as the 5th choice aswell (mainly only put it down to fill the slots) and they offered it to me, it is very expensive, which is probably why they are so desperate to give all of the rooms out il accept the offer because its avoids the hassle, and those rooms are by far the best anyway.
Original post by Weather_28
I'm in Noseley as well (Floor 0, Flat 2) :smile:

Hello! I'm in Flat 6, floor 2
Original post by Lana Del Rey
Aren't you doing computing, same as me. I think i might be moving to John Foster. Same room type. On your residence agreement whats the overall price. Because if it isn't cheaper than what i've currently been offered, i don't think i'll bother.

I am indeed doing computing :smile:

I see, well my accommodation is £5,382.00, that's £182 a week, catered.
Original post by david.94
i put leicester as my firm choice, i put down john foster premium plus ensuite as the 5th choice aswell (mainly only put it down to fill the slots) and they offered it to me, it is very expensive, which is probably why they are so desperate to give all of the rooms out il accept the offer because its avoids the hassle, and those rooms are by far the best anyway.

Yeah, the main reason why I put it down was also to fill up the spaces, I also really wanted an ensuite so all my options were ensuite apart from one I think.
I think I'm just going to have to accept it, I did a few calculations today and I may just be able to afford it, need to work out how much I will be spending a week on other things first.

Also, for anyone reading this, how much do you think you'll be spending a week/how much do you think is a reasonable amount to live on a week, if you're a catered student? (Including things such as going out etc).
Reply 586
Yeah, the main reason why I put it down was also to fill up the spaces, I also really wanted an ensuite so all my options were ensuite apart from one I think.
I think I'm just going to have to accept it, I did a few calculations today and I may just be able to afford it, need to work out how much I will be spending a week on other things first.

Also, for anyone reading this, how much do you think you'll be spending a week/how much do you think is a reasonable amount to live on a week, if you're a catered student? (Including things such as going out etc).

I reckon a couple of nights out at 10-15 quid each, 10-15 for food for lunches and then maybe 20 on average for miscellaneous stuff (train tickets, clothes, books, stationary, toiletries, washing powder, more expensive nights out like bar crawls, sports stuff, bus pass, sports card etc. etc.) you'll spend between 40-60 a week.

In Freshers you'll spend a lot more than this with bus pass, sports card, a lot of nights out, society memberships, random stuff you forgot from home (always happens) etc. all in a couple of weeks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 587
Original post by ampine14
Does anyone know anything about the beeches, JoFo? Im American and studying abroad for the year and know nothing about it but i just accepted an offer there. The uni accommodation info isnt very helpful. i think it has 2 floors and single rooms but im not sure. anyone know if its a good place to live?? Thanks!

I've graduated now and am doing postgrad work at a different uni but lived at the Beeches during my 2nd and 3rd year.

Its amazing and I had the best time there, partly because of how lovely the house is. Its seperate from the main John Foster buildings, its a seperate house all on its own but you use the laundry etc at JoFo (its like two minutes down the road) There are three girls rooms which are pretty big- mine was massive (room 10) and 7 boys rooms which are pretty small. Two bathrooms and one kitchen for all the girls and the same downstairs for the boys.

I'll post some pictures up when I get a chance.
Original post by QI Elf
I've graduated now and am doing postgrad work at a different uni but lived at the Beeches during my 2nd and 3rd year.

Its amazing and I had the best time there, partly because of how lovely the house is. Its seperate from the main John Foster buildings, its a seperate house all on its own but you use the laundry etc at JoFo (its like two minutes down the road) There are three girls rooms which are pretty big- mine was massive (room 10) and 7 boys rooms which are pretty small. Two bathrooms and one kitchen for all the girls and the same downstairs for the boys.

Pretty sure I've seen your images elsewhere on this forum. You could just find them and quote that in here. :colondollar:
Couple of questions about John Foster Premium En-Suite? (The Coppice)

How many flats are there per floor and how many rooms are there per flat?

Is the fridge/freezer a decent size?

What is the laundry situation like, price etc

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 590
Original post by fallenangel
Couple of questions about John Foster Premium En-Suite? (The Coppice)

How many flats are there per floor and how many rooms are there per flat?

A lot, it's only 2 floors and really long. 5/6 on average.

Is the fridge/freezer a decent size?

What is the laundry situation like, price etc

Not sure but very unlikely not to be in halls.

Laundry is at main JoFo. When I was in halls it was 2 quid a wash and then 20p for every 15 mins drying. Might have gone up a bit since but the machines are industrial sized so you get plenty done in one wash.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 591
Original post by roh

Laundry is at main JoFo. When I was in halls it was 2 quid a wash and then 20p for every 15 mins drying. Might have gone up a bit since but the machines are industrial sized so you get plenty done in one wash.

I think it's £2.50 a wash now and £1 for a dry cycle of 60 minutes plus, can't remember exactly how long the dry cycle is. As has been said they are industrial sized so it isn't difficult to do big loads.
Hello! I'm in Flat 6, floor 2

Hey! Glad that I’ve finally found someone else in my block (even if we’re both on opposite sides of the building :tongue:) Have you been given a moving in date yet?

I’m just the same! I wanted an en-suite but premium plus catered was something like my 4th choice... guess that I shouldn’t have left it until June to apply.

I reckon that somewhere around £50 is a good guess in catered accomodation. There are some good lunchtime deals on campus and on London Road near the university (I would definitely recommend trying The Snack Box just off campus at some point as well). Then pretty much the rest would be for nights out and other items that you might need from week to week. Depends on things like if you plan to cook yourself from time to time, etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can any present/past students tell me anything about the catered GMS blocks? I was transferred to Somerby yesterday and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the situation is with floors/rooms (ie. how many people on average are in them) and how social it is? I'm a lot happier with it than where I originally was but I still have no idea what to expect! Thanks in advance!
Reply 594
Original post by QI Elf

Was it mostly first years when you lived there? I was hoping it would be because I kind of wanted to be with others that are completely new to everything like me :smile: and I'm in room 12. I hope my room looks like yours because i saw your pics and it looks sooo nice!
how was it socially? i know everyone has a different experience but i was worried about not being in blocks or halls.
And thanks a lot! you've been very helpful!
Reply 595
Hey,
What happends if i dont accept the accomadation? Also if i accept can i put in a transfer? I want just a premium ensuite not a premium plus, and if theres no other alternative, i want to be on the 1st or second floor, i dont like being on the ground.
Original post by cherrybombbb
Can any present/past students tell me anything about the catered GMS blocks? I was transferred to Somerby yesterday and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the situation is with floors/rooms (ie. how many people on average are in them) and how social it is? I'm a lot happier with it than where I originally was but I still have no idea what to expect! Thanks in advance!

isn't gms part of oadby? i'm sure when i rang yesterday they told me there was nothing left in oadby :frown:
Original post by isitinyet?
isn't gms part of oadby? i'm sure when i rang yesterday they told me there was nothing left in oadby :frown:

Yeah it is, I was lucky to be transferred to somewhere else in Oadby to be honest, I called mid-morning? Sorry if you don't get transferred :frown: I had to switch to catered in order to be where I am now, so I think it really depends what you're after/how much you're willing to compromise as to whether they can swap you around!
Reply 598
Original post by H.Maleki
Hey,
What happends if i dont accept the accomadation? Also if i accept can i put in a transfer? I want just a premium ensuite not a premium plus, and if theres no other alternative, i want to be on the 1st or second floor, i dont like being on the ground.

If you're a guy, which is likely given you're on the ground now, you won't be able to go anywhere but the ground in most blocks.

If you accept you can apply to transfer in Freshers but there's no guarantees and you may not want to move by then as you'll have made friends with and settled into your flat.

If you don't accept you will have to find your own accommodation whether privately, with family or something else.
Original post by cherrybombbb
Yeah it is, I was lucky to be transferred to somewhere else in Oadby to be honest, I called mid-morning? Sorry if you don't get transferred :frown: I had to switch to catered in order to be where I am now, so I think it really depends what you're after/how much you're willing to compromise as to whether they can swap you around!

sorry? it's cool haha. And i was just having a panic thinking the sports fields were miles from mary gee but they're not :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending