The Student Room Group

The University of Aberdeen MB ChB Applicants 2013

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I applied last year and got an offer but took a place at Dundee instead (its a little less cold!!). Best of luck to all those applying and let me know if I can be of any help!
Reply 2
Original post by ChangedMyMind
I applied last year and got an offer but took a place at Dundee instead (its a little less cold!!). Best of luck to all those applying and let me know if I can be of any help!

What was it that 'ChangedYourMind' about Aberdeen?
Ha funny!

I liked Aberdeen, I liked the uni and the med students I met and the interview was relaxed and enjoyable. I was just attracted by the fantastic reputation Dundee has, and the course structure seemed perfect for me. I also really liked all the teaching staff, the other students and the interview process was the most thorough which I liked. Sometimes you just have a feeling whats right for you and Dundee hit that spot.
Reply 4
I'm 90% sure Aberdeen is going to be in my final 4 choices, and I'm definitely applying for Dundee just like yourself. I take it you're a Scottish national? :p:
Evening chaps,

Becca-Sarah, TheRabbit and myself are usually dodging about if you have any questions about the admissions process or life here in Aberdeen :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Evening chaps,

Becca-Sarah, TheRabbit and myself are usually dodging about if you have any questions about the admissions process or life here in Aberdeen :smile:

What do you think makes Aberdeen stand out from all the other Scottish Uni's?
I ask because I've booked up all my open days, but sadly Aberdeen was already fully booked for medicine so I won't be able to go and see it. I booked them all the very night of Higher results day! Either there were a lot of graduate applicants, or a lot of confident people who were sure they would get the grades :biggrin:
Happy to answer any questions about admissions and Aberdeen, just don't bother asking about the course structure cos I'm too old to be able to tell you anything relevant :tongue:

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Evening chaps,

Ta :five: Only just spotted this thread :ninja:
Reply 8
Original post by KitschyFox
I'm 90% sure Aberdeen is going to be in my final 4 choices, and I'm definitely applying for Dundee just like yourself. I take it you're a Scottish national? :p:

Hmm... yes. That ':tongue:' worries me no ends.

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Happy to answer any questions about admissions and Aberdeen, just don't bother asking about the course structure cos I'm too old to be able to tell you anything relevant :tongue:

Okay, how do I guarantee I get in? XD

Also, what like are the medical societies? A friend has told me to sign up to Wilderness Medicine, MedSin, the first aid society and I'll sign up for the Medical Ethics society too (I'm going into my final undergrad year so a bit of mingling can't hurt :tongue:)
just wondering what are the hospitals like??
Original post by Zedd
Also, what like are the medical societies? A friend has told me to sign up to Wilderness Medicine, MedSin, the first aid society and I'll sign up for the Medical Ethics society too (I'm going into my final undergrad year so a bit of mingling can't hurt :tongue:)

Wilderness is awesome (I've never been to any of their events, but I live with their president so I'm obliged to tell you that they're awesome :tongue:). From what I've seen, they do hill walking and emergency scenarios and really enjoy getting to pull mannikins out from under trains and stuff.

My knowledge of the other 3 is pretty patchy, but you can find out more about Medsin through their facebook page.
Original post by KeepMovingForward
just wondering what are the hospitals like??

That's kind of a vague question, what do you want to know about them? In the first few years you're mainly at ARI, occasionally Woodend or RACH. In fourth year you get sent to Raigmore in Inverness for anything from a few weeks to the whole year, and in fifth year you get sent pretty much anywhere in northern Scotland.
That's kind of a vague question, what do you want to know about them? In the first few years you're mainly at ARI, occasionally Woodend or RACH. In fourth year you get sent to Raigmore in Inverness for anything from a few weeks to the whole year, and in fifth year you get sent pretty much anywhere in northern Scotland.

No that answers fine its just I had no clue about any of the hospitals, is there a maternity hospital?? Thanks:biggrin:
Reply 13
No that answers fine its just I had no clue about any of the hospitals, is there a maternity hospital?? Thanks:biggrin:

Yep
http://www.nhsgrampian.org/nhsgrampian/gra_display_home.jsp?p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&pContentID=71& (for all of your NHS Grampian needs)

Yes - AMH. It's on the same site (Foresterhill) as ARI, RACH (paeds) and the medical school.
Reply 15
Wilderness is awesome (I've never been to any of their events, but I live with their president so I'm obliged to tell you that they're awesome :tongue:). From what I've seen, they do hill walking and emergency scenarios and really enjoy getting to pull mannikins out from under trains and stuff.

My knowledge of the other 3 is pretty patchy, but you can find out more about Medsin through their facebook page.

:tongue: I'm already friends with each society but I thought I might get a member's opinion on them. So what do you do for fun then Becca? Does fun still exist for you?? :eek:

Oh yeah, and a friend that is on the course has told me that approximately a third of his year are graduates or matures. Would you say that is about right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Scott006
I ask because I've booked up all my open days, but sadly Aberdeen was already fully booked for medicine so I won't be able to go and see it. I booked them all the very night of Higher results day! Either there were a lot of graduate applicants, or a lot of confident people who were sure they would get the grades :biggrin:

You don't need to worry too much about missing out on the open day. If it's the same as last year, all interviewed applicants are invited to a tour of the medical campus on the day of their interview. I found this very useful as I wasn't able to make the open day either. We were shown around both of the main teaching buildings and also the ARI by a current student. It was very informative.

As for what makes Aberdeen 'stand out', I'll leave that to the others since I'm yet to experience the teaching.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Zedd
Hmm... yes. That ':tongue:' worries me no ends.

I've nothing against Scots if that's what you mean :confused: I love Scottish accents :colondollar: I juts see you're studying and applying all Scottish, which I'm quite close to doing myself :p:

Is Aberdeen Med a relatively small group compared to other schools? The website claims to have an intake of around 160, which is smaller than QUBs at least..
Original post by Scott006

We are very lucky in Scotland to have five medical schools, each of which has its own pros and cons. Some of us were lucky enough to have a choice of offer and for me Aberdeen simply seemed like the nicer place with nicer people :smile: Aberdeen medical school has a lot of history to it, the discovery of MRSA and the invention of MRI scanning to name a couple. As a student you do take a sense of pride in that and the uni definitely has a distinct community. Having a 1000+ bed hospital complex (ARI+ RACH+ Matty) in such close proximity to the main medical school is fairly unusual. Students have the chance to see a huge variety of procedures and patients without having to travel.

Aberdeen's geographical location means that students do get to experience what medicine is like in rural Highland and Grampian. The community links and GP teaching, though not appreciated by every student :tongue:, are probably more extensive than at any of the other Scottish medical schools.

Original post by KitschyFox
I've nothing against Scots if that's what you mean :confused: I love Scottish accents :colondollar: I juts see you're studying and applying all Scottish, which I'm quite close to doing myself :p:

Is Aberdeen Med a relatively small group compared to other schools? The website claims to have an intake of around 160, which is smaller than QUBs at least..

Scottish students get their fees paid for them. As there are five unis to choose from, frankly you would be mad not to stick in Scotland. There are around 185 in each year which is smaller than Glasgow and Edinburgh who have 240 entrants per year roughly. I would say that I know everyone in the year by sight after two years of study...it is nice to know so many people but it can get claustrophobic at times.

They always manage to get the jump on us! Interviews will be interesting, we won't be much use advice wise I fear with the new format :s-smilie: The uni were threatening to involve students with the interview design but that idea seemed to fizzle out...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending