The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4500
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Wash your mouth out :tongue:

Thanks for the prayers for my uncle though.

Hope today went well.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire

:grin: sorry.:smile:

Original post by Message
I do indeed my friend! How can I be of assistance? :biggrin:

Don't know really...:smile:

Have you been on an exchange trip recently? Got any tips? The nerves haven't really kicked in yet:biggrin:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Prayers for all intentions. Wouldn't call myself a Gleek :nah:

:smile:

Walsingham :love:

Alas, maybe next year...

Original post by AltUser96
I hope this isn't seen as "thread-jacking" or the sort of thing better aired on a blog but here it goes... I am 16 years old and just starting AS levels. I come from a strong atheist family. If I was to become religious I doubt very much that they'd be happy about it to say the least! Both my grandfather and father (as well as me, in the past at least) are quite anti-religious and view it as indefensible from proper and logical scientific inspection.
But in my case, my belief in that principle has become somewhat weakened as of late... I can't help but feel that my belief in the falsity of religion is weakened. Though I wouldn't call myself religious (yet) I have thought about religion truly for the first time in my life and even recently prayed for any God that existed to reveal his/herself.
One of the AS levels I chose was philosophy and the first topic coincidently is the philosophy of religion. Reading up on some of the issues in this topic I can see value to the arguments of both standpoints on the existence of god but find myself drifting from firmly in the non-existence camp to a more agnostic standpoint on the issue.
One part of the arguments for and against the existence of miracles particularly connected with me personally. One section says about gradual conversion, where someone who has previously rejected any notion of faith slowly grows to accept more and more of a religion as objections to the religion are resolved. This is exactly how I feel!
Though I don't yet feel I am "fully converted" to belief in a god, I do think that I am changing. I couldn't honestly tell you why I started looking into religion as I still find much truth in atheist arguments and reject many religions (especially Catholicism's!) teachings on issues such as homosexuality. Indeed, there is little I have in common with the beliefs of the Catholic Church and it would seem at first glance to be the least likely religion that I would convert to!
Despite this I feel draw to the Catholic Church in a way that is hard to describe. It's not just the traditions and such things that attract me, it's more of a feeling that they are the first Christian church (if such a thing even exists) and can trace their history back to Saint Peter himself.
As strange as it may sound, my question really is simply this... What should I do about this?

What everyone else said...:smile:
The most important piece of advice must be to read and inquire about RCIA classes (I think some places start around now) but you don't have to make a decision straight away.

Original post by Hylean
To be honest, I think one of the biggest issues facing all churches is that the official teachings don't go hand in hand with the individual actions and beliefs of priests or spokespeople. This causes a conflict of information, where we can openly state that the Catechism, whilst not completely great on homosexuals, is a lot better than people realise, but then meet a Roman Catholic who states the complete opposite.

It's a problem every religion ultimately faces, but sometimes I'd like to see each individual church organisation try to get its followers on the party line.

Still, Roman Catholicism would be my favourite if I were ever to convert, but that would make Goatherd far too happy as I'd have to stop sacrificing her goaties. :evil:

I don't know what Catholic schools are doing...they son't seem to teach what they're meant to.

They usually have Mass cards at the back of the church for people to take because a year on, people still aren't using the New Translation responses :teehee: (I am totally not included in that group :ninja: )

ROFL:biggrin:

Would appreciate a few prayers for my Mum tomorrow as she has an important meeting.

*prays* (smiley massively needed here)
Does anyone think that the CathSoc should have a meet of some sort?
Reply 4502
Original post by AltUser96
Believe me, I would happily go to a church (even if just out of curiosity) were it not that I know I would face hostility for doing so. There is actually one time a week I could go to mass without anyone knowing. I know how ridiculous this sounds, and really I suppose that if I was serious about this I wouldn't care what people think, but oh well...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I know it wouldn't really be the same but you could watch some videos of masses on youtube:smile:

Here are some blog links for you:

Atheist to Catholic converts:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unequallyyoked/ (in RCIA)
http://www.conversiondiary.com/

http://www.wordonfire.org/WoF-Blog/WoF-Blog/November-2010/Conversion-Stories-Brandon-Vogt.aspx

http://jimmyakin.com/

http://thedevoutlife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/actually-abortion-is-like-using-child.html (I just found this one) :ahee:

So many other good blogs out there...

I'm afraid I kind of got a bit addicted to Philosophy etc. last term and I have to say its rather inadvisable.:colondollar:
Reply 4503
Experienced apologist needed

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1991163&page=8&p=39517292#post39517292

:smile: please

What does everyone think of the new layout? I don't like it...
Reply 4504

I had small amount of hope that that would happen for Youth 2000 but I don't think anyone made it in the end!

We're all spread to far apart (across the country)...

If there could not be a meeting there could be an event across the whole country, perhaps all saying the Lord's Prayer and prayers in each person's local church at a chosen time.
Reply 4506
Original post by barnetlad
If there could not be a meeting there could be an event across the whole country, perhaps all saying the Lord's Prayer and prayers in each person's local church at a chosen time.

that would be nice:smile:

Those Australian priests:angry::unimpressed::ahhhhh::argh::cry::cry2:
Original post by rac1

Just reading it the BBC News article now :sad:
Original post by rac1
that would be nice:smile:

Remember their victims.
Reply 4509
Just reading it the BBC News article now :sad:

Original post by barnetlad
Remember their victims.

aye:frown:
Original post by rac1
aye:frown:

The thing we must all remember is that whilst these cases are horrific and have been badly handled, they do not define our Church or our faith :nah:
Reply 4511
The thing we must all remember is that whilst these cases are horrific and have been badly handled, they do not define our Church or our faith :nah:

Absolutely true! (bit of a pun there)
Peeps, I have passed my Masters with Merit :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Average of 66, with 68 in my dissertation :awesome: Praise the Lord! :jebus: :woo: :party:
Reply 4513
Peeps, I have passed my Masters with Merit :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Average of 66, with 68 in my dissertation :awesome: Praise the Lord! :jebus: :woo: :party:

Oh so very very awesome!
Original post by Aula
Oh so very very awesome!

Thank you! :hugs:

How are you doing, hun? Everything alright your end? :h:
Reply 4515
Thank you! :hugs:

How are you doing, hun? Everything alright your end? :h:

Yeah, I'm doing okay. Living at home, temporary job nearish, just applied for a couple of museumy jobs and keeping an eye out for more. Prayers for me to get the Hampton Court one (if that's what's supposed to happen) would be appreciated. I really want it :pinch:

Definitely not finding enough time to pray though :sad:
Original post by Aula
Yeah, I'm doing okay. Living at home, temporary job nearish, just applied for a couple of museumy jobs and keeping an eye out for more. Prayers for me to get the Hampton Court one (if that's what's supposed to happen) would be appreciated. I really want it :pinch:

Definitely not finding enough time to pray though :sad:

Glad you're doing OK. Will definitely be praying for you and especially about Hampton Court (which is near me! :ahee: ). That would be pretty amazing :awesome:

:console: It can be hard to keep going sometimes. I've been given a prayer to say 5 times in the morning and 5 times in the evening but I often forget, or only manage to say it twice :colondollar:

Am I right in thinking you're going somewhere religious-based in November? That's coming up quite soon now, if I remembered that correctly! :gah:
Reply 4517
Glad you're doing OK. Will definitely be praying for you and especially about Hampton Court (which is near me! :ahee: ). That would be pretty amazing :awesome:

It's not that near me though :s (well, about 2 hours away, but if I did get it I may be asking you advice on somewhere to move to :shh:)

:console: It can be hard to keep going sometimes. I've been given a prayer to say 5 times in the morning and 5 times in the evening but I often forget, or only manage to say it twice :colondollar:

Sunday keeps coming around and I realise I've not really done much praying in the previous week, so sounds like you're probably doing better than me :colondollar:

Am I right in thinking you're going somewhere religious-based in November? That's coming up quite soon now, if I remembered that correctly! :gah:

Unfortunately not anymore :no: The convent has commitments to the Vatican Museum now, but they're going to pay me back for the flights. I just need to actually get round to sending them my details...
Original post by Aula
It's not that near me though :s (well, about 2 hours away, but if I did get it I may be asking you advice on somewhere to move to :shh:)

Hmm, two hours away IS quite far. Would they be paying you enough for you to move to London?

Sunday keeps coming around and I realise I've not really done much praying in the previous week, so sounds like you're probably doing better than me :colondollar:

Nah seriously, I'm sure you're doing better than me. I'm going through a dry spell at the moment. Not really feeling God. No wonder my hospital chaplain was bemused about me wanting to go to SPEC :lol:

Unfortunately not anymore :no: The convent has commitments to the Vatican Museum now, but they're going to pay me back for the flights. I just need to actually get round to sending them my details...

Ah no! That's such a shame :sad:
A few feast days to catch up on! Belated blessings and good wishes for:

1st Oct - Feast of St Therese of Lisieux
2nd Oct - Feast of the Guardian Angels
4th Oct - Feast of St Francis of Assisi

:jebus:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending